1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can either GS or Atlanta win 72?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could this be the year a team repeats the 72-10 Bulls season?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

3. Beavis Stiffler

I think neither the Hawks nor the Warriors can make it to the NBA Finals.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Let's not get crazy.

It's extremely unlikely that Atlanta wins 72 as they already have 8 losses. With a record of 36-8, they would need to go 36-2 for the remainder of the season. Their current winning ways have netted them 29-2... to expect them to go 36-2 for the remainder of the season as well would be ridiculously unlikely.

As for GSW, their current record of 35-6 means that they would need to go 37-4 for the remainder of the season. IE, they would need to play even BETTER than they're playing now. Once again, highly (though somewhat less) unlikely.

That said, I wouldn't be stunned if either or both teams ends up with 65+ wins. To reach 65 wins, Atlanta would need to go 29-6 and GSW would need to go 30-11. Needless to say it's far more likely that GSW hits 65 wins than Atlanta given Atlanta's weak start to the season (5-5).

5. bongman

bongman Member

Both teams will most likely lock up their conference #1 seed with 10 games left for the season. That usually means time to rest your starters.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Atlanta probably has a better shot than Golden State since they've already gone into a lot of Western Conference teams' arenas and won. The Warriors still have far too many games left on the road against the rest of the West.

I don't think either one gets to 72(or even 70) though.

7. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Could they? Certainly. Is it likely? No. GS is vulnerable to injuries in their frontcourt... and Bogut is an injury waiting to happen. I'd say without injuries GS is a real threat to crack 72 wins.

I'm just not convinced that Atlanta is that kind of elite team.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah but can they beat our 3rd-place 22-win streak?

9. torocan

torocan Member

Atlanta has a shot at it... here's their next 8 games.

vsMinnesota
    vsBrooklyn
    vsPortland
    vsPhiladelphia
    @New Orleans
    vsWashington
    vs GSW
    @Memphis

I expect them to beat Minnesota and Brooklyn.

Normally Portland would be their first major stumbling block, but Portland just lost LMA and I don't see Lillard alone being anywhere near enough to make up the difference.

They should waltz through the 76ers. That gets them to 19 wins.

The Pelicans can be tough but I think Atlanta is the better team unless Anthony Davis goes nuts. They're already 1-0 vs the Pelicans this season.

Washington will be tough, but they've already beaten Washington 2-0 this season with their last game being a 21 point blow out. Washington will probably come out hard, but it's quite possible that Atlanta takes the 3rd match as well.

The real test will be GSW... that's game 22. I don't even know who I'd bet on in that one given that it's a home game for Atlanta. Atlanta will be coming off a day of rest after another home game and GSW will be playing their 3rd game in 4 nights flying from San Francisco to Atlanta (4 hour time shift) so that definitely goes in Atlanta's favor.

They're 1-0 vs Memphis this season so it's perfectly conceivable they could win that game as well.

So is it possible? Sure. However a LOT of stuff would have to go right for them to get to 22 games. Pels > Wizards > GSW > Memphis is far from a cakewalk.

Still, if they get past GSW undefeated, I wouldn't put any streak past them...

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

if you double the win totals after halfway, Atlanta end up with 66-16 so it won't happen with them i don't think. Golden State end on 70-12 but i don't think they will win 70 games. 72 wins is such a hard total to get to

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Randolph didn't play that game

12. what

what Member

About 7 of the 12 losses this year are due to Zach being out or Zach just coming back.

13. torocan

torocan Member

True. However, they're also playing better now than they did when they last played Memphis.

No idea what the odds on that game will be, but it wouldn't be a shocker if they won or lost that game. Let's just say I wouldn't put the Hawks or Memphis as favorites right now given how the Hawks are playing.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I was thinking about this as the middle of the season came around, but then they lost some games..They would have to be even better the second half to do it. Highly unlikely, especially considering they may have to rest guys, once they wrap up the top seeds.

15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Honestly it doesn't matter even if they could or not , greatness of teams / coaches/ players are tested in the Playoffs. They will rest their main players for a deep run in May & beyond. If I'm a fan of these two teams , lock up home court and make a play from there. Regular seasons record wins overrated if not backed up by titles.

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

GSW vs ATL in the finals?

17. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

No to answer your question.
    We've seen teams have great seasons, only to lose in the first round. Seattle vs Denver in the 90's, Dallas vs GSW. Regular season means nothing when the playoffs start. Everyone has the same record. It's all about who's healthy, favorable match ups, and adjustments.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Adam Silver's worst nightmare.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Doubt it

Rocket River

20. krouchchocolate

Who would want to see the hawks in the finals? Lowest finals rating ever!