1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive Analysis vs Utah Jazzholes (1/10/2015)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jbasket, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

2013-2014:
    2014-2015:
    HOW IT WORKS: For every made or missed shot, I recorded who missed an assignment, or did a good job. There are seven categories: good and bad on-ball (OB) defense, good and bad rotation (R), "meh" (falls in between), rebound opportunities (RO), and missed rebound opportunities (MRO). I only recorded on shots/fouls, not for the full game. Some good plays will go unnoticed if a shot was not taken. Some example of these things could be full court pressure by a point guard or denying the ball off a double screen, forcing the opposing team to initiate another option. They are good defensive plays, but keeping track of those would be greatly inconsistent and difficult to measure. However, I try to include some of those plays in the observations. I felt like this would strike a balance between an in-depth play-by-play analysis, that will also be understandable by the average CF viewer. The finals results are compiled as an agreed number between myself and two other basketball players. They both hate the Rockets (kidding). We all like the CF, have the been there, done that experience, and like to share the results. :)

<table border="1" style="width:1000"><tr><td>Player</td><td>Good OB</td> <td>Good R</td><td>Meh</td><td>Bad OB</td><td>Bad R</td><td>RO</td><td>MRO</td></tr><tr><td>Bev</td><td>6</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>2</td><td>1</td><td>6</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Harden</td><td>6</td> <td>2</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>1</td></tr><tr><td>Ariza</td><td>7</td> <td>10</td><td>5</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>4</td><td>1</td></tr><tr><td>Dmo</td><td>4</td> <td>11</td><td>6</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>15</td><td>5</td></tr><tr><td>Howard</td><td>5</td> <td>17</td><td>13</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>16</td><td>3</td></tr><tr><td>Smith</td><td>5</td> <td>5</td><td>5</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>10</td><td>4</td></tr><tr><td>Brewer</td><td>2</td> <td>6</td><td>6</td><td>2</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>Terry</td><td>3</td> <td>4</td><td>7</td><td>3</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>Papa</td><td>2</td> <td>2</td><td>2</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>3</td><td>1</td></tr><tr><td>Dorsey</td><td>0</td> <td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>Canaan</td><td>0</td> <td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>Shved</td><td>0</td> <td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr></table>
    OBSERVATIONS:

1) It was really refreshing to see many 5+ successful rotation plays. Sign of a great defense.
    2) Length and aggressiveness was too much for the Jazz. The Jazz played soft on offense due to this.
    3) The Rockets were more physical on the boards, and overall defense.
    4) The lack of a go-to player really hurt the Jazz.
    5) Brewer gambles so much... almost too much.
    6) Smith's versatility proved very valuable this game.
    7) The Jazz did not utilize much athleticism during the game.
    8) Ariza fouling Favors is basically the sum of the game found in one play. The only points the Jazz really got, the Rockets made them work for it. The Jazz got nothing easy.
    9) Howard lazy on closing out on the mid-range. He is so programmed to shut down the paint.
    10) Ariza is just so good on D. It is just crazy.
    11) Howard returned to normal form this game; always good to remind people he can still do it.
    12) Perimeter players need to crash the D boards more. They really strain the bigs down there.

If you have any questions on how to judge who did what wrong on a play, just ask below. I would be happy to analyze any play, or if you can remember a specific set at a specific time.

tl;dr Great defensive game by the Rockets. Simple as that.

#1 jbasket, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    4 people like this.
  2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Based on this garbage time, I will not do garbage time anymore. It is too skewed. I was fiercely arguing with one of the other peeps about the Papa 4 on 1 fast break, and the O board given at the end, and how to grade it. It is very worthless, a point brought across to me from the other player.

#2 jbasket, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Thanks so much for your post jbasket. I always find these summaries to be extremely helpful - the box score tells so little about defense and it's hard to pay attention to every little detail like you do for 48 minutes.

I think although Howard does seem to be slowed down a little bit recently (because of his knees?) and hasn't been quite himself especially on offense, his defensive impact is still very much underappreciated on this board.

Major props.

4. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Yeah man, this is awesome. Hopefully these posts increase the IQ of the boards and people can be a little more aware of our team's defensive performances, beyond defensive win shares that is.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Imagine how good we'd be with Tarik Black.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Harden doesn't make any concerted effort to stick to his man. He pretty much roams and waits for steal opportunities to come around. He seems to switch on every pick which is something our other players don't do nearly as often. I'm not sure if this is a scheme thing but nobody seems to be calling him out on it.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Partly due to your posts I've found myself following Ariza on the defensive end. It truly is ridiculous just how much he does for this team.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

People don't realize Howard did only average 18/12 last year during the regular season. He will be fine for the playoffs, and am most definitely not worried about his D.

Yea, hopefully. Win shares are very... ehhhhhh...

More urbanized?

Once you start noticing, it is incredible watching his disruption. It really disturbs me that people want him out of the starting lineup. Just stop it; this guy is shut-down.

I think it is a scheme thing. The Rockets switch a lot of guard PnR. Beverley has enough tenacity to guard bigger perimeter players for the occasional switch. Honestly, we don't need Harden to be shut-down, but just to give effort and be decent. I also think you are selling him a bit short; he did a bit more than roam this game.