1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travel Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Jul 24, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Just planning a quick holiday (5 nights) before I start my first real job and was thinking about a few nights in Singapore and then a couple of night on Bintan Island. Anyone been to these destinations that could provide me with some advice and insight would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

SMeg

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

5 nights??? Are you a vampire? [​IMG]

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

3. SmeggySmeg

yeah, I'm Angels long lost aussie brother.

------------------

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That would explain a lot...
    Arvo, Smeg.

Anyway, along the same lines, I'm still in the planning stages of a trip to Africa and later to Australia. Anyone been to either of these destinations have any advice (especially to Africa). I'd ask Smeg, but I figure he'd tell me it's ok to pet tai pei snakes and fierce snakes as they are non-poisonous. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

5. SmeggySmeg

do you mean taipan snakes, stay away from them and for that matter most snakes in Australia, think we have the 5 most deadly here in Australia, but snake bites here are rare.

I haven't been to Africa, but I have been to most parts of Australia if you want some advice.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited July 24, 2000).]

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL. Yes, I believe you're right... it's the Taipan. And I've been trying to keep up with the wildlife in Australia. I read about it and watch the Discovery channel. [​IMG]

You guys have just about the most poisonous anythings. I swear your birds are poisonous. The fact that there aren't that many deaths attributed to snake bites there is incredible to me. The fierce snake is considered the most deadly snake in the world in terms of venom and according to at least one report, Australia has the 10 most venomous/dangerous snakes in the world. That's another amazing fact when you consider snakes such as the king cobras, black mambas, sea snakes, and fair de lances (sp?) that inhabit other parts of the world.

And then of course there's that funnel web spider or whatever it's called... most poisonous animal on the entire continent possibly. *shudder*

I'm looking to go to Africa first, Smegster. Maybe 3 or 4 years down the road, I'll take a trip down to Stralia. But either way, it's 2 places I HAVE to visit before I turn into an old geezer. No places on the planet fascinate me quite like those 2 continents.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 24, 2000).]

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

come down to the valley, and I'll treat you guys to Dairy Queen.

YUMM!

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No thanks. Too scary down there... I've gone out with a couple of girls from the valley... no animal is quite as deadly as the females indigenous to the valley. [​IMG]

(We are talking about "the Valley" down in South Texas, right?)

------------------
    Just shut up and post

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yah, I think they are poisonous.

My wife spits venom at me every night.

cmon DooD, I got coupons.

------------------

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For the women or the Dairy Queen?! [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

lol

for DQ fool!

[​IMG]

------------------

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My travels have only taken me throughout Europe and to Israel and Egypt. I see you going for more of a nature kind of trip with the rest of Africa, but if you havent visited Egypt I would seriously suggest it. Seeing as you wathc the Discovery channel I must assume you anre interested in past civilizations such as Egypt and the enormous amount of history found there(pyramids,etc) is mindblowing. My parents have visited other parts of Africa though, to spend time with the "wild" and had a pretty good time. The one suggestion I would have, which Im sure you already know, is go get your shots as they are very important.

Smeg-
    What do you mean your first real job? WHat are you doing. Just curious!

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

13. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

insideout--
    good plan you have there but you must understand there are several degrees of price and that as with any place you can spend 600 a night or 4 dollars a night..obviously the amenities at the 4 dollar a night place will not be plush...I satyed at a place in munich that was 6 dollars or so a night and it was in a tent with hundreds of other people....it allowed a place to sleep but not so nice...

I think for an average assuming you do not mind decent places not too nice but decent you can go for about 30 a night...

if you get a eurail ticket and you have a month or even better month and a half you can see EVERYTHING with out a problem..

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Inside,

A few suggestions.

First if your 20 or under, you can check into youth hostels that are really cheap. I stayed in a few (many years ago) where the prices were anywhere from 15$ a night to free! Most offer some sort of brunch breakfast (they are not great, but at least you won't go hungry). There are several books out that you can buy that list all the hostels and how to get in touch with them. Or, thanks to this great invention called the internet, you can do some research. Most large European cities have them, so you can even just ask around once you get to where you're going. But its better to do a little planning and plan a route.

Second, get a student europass. They have different packages you can get depending on where you want to go and how often. These passes will let you get on a train and go just about anywhere you want to go. They are great!

You'll find packing around Europe will be an experience of a lifetime. I did it when I was 17 before my senior year of high school. I started in London, went to Edinburgh, Berlin, Paris, Madrid and ended in Venice. Sooooo much fun!

------------------

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited July 25, 2000).]

15. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

sirhangover:

thanks, i'm pretty much on a budget trip (i.e. poor student) so i'm looking into hostels and cheap hotels for housing. I will probably get a eurorail pass and assuming that within reason i can spend around 30-40 per day not including misc expenses like souvenirs and tickets to events, i think i can go for a month and a half.

Any reccommendations as to city/villages?
    and resources (i.e. "Let's Go Europe") that I can look at?

------------------
    i need a vacation

16. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i recommend going to san sebastian on the north coast of spain in the basque country..one of the nicest places i have ever been in my life...history, hot chicks(topless on the beach no less), great nightlife...
    http://www.paisvasco.com/donostia/ingles/indexi.htm

I also recommend geneva, munich, rome, paris...i thought prague was pretty weak....

'lets go' is one of the better ones but keep in mind every other tourist backpacking has the same book..that can be an issue..

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thanks for the input. I love ancient civilizations and Egypt is definitely a spot I'd like to visit. Aside from the history angle, I'd love to experience the wildlife there. Some other spots I'd love to visit are Tanzania, Kenya, Olduvai Gorge, etc. I'd love to get some footage of the great migrations of animals that occur every year as well.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

18. SmeggySmeg

Come on, has anyone been to Singapore????

Smeg

PS Jay, i am working as a research associate at a centre for rural and remote health.

------------------

19. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Smeg,
    The one time I was in Singapore, I was only two, so I don't think I could provide you with a wealth of info. [​IMG] However, my sister travelled through Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia a couple of years ago and she loved Singapore. Its very clean, so much so that your not allowed to chew gum on the streets. At least thats how it was 4-5 years ago. I recommend you also try to visit Malaysia if you have time, its supposed to have one best wildlife areas on the planet, with a lush, tropical landscape.

Anyways, hope everyone has a good holiday! (lucky bastards [​IMG])

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If anyone wants to visist Vegas any time soon, I'm the one to ask for advice. Now that city is my favorite. But anyways, my brother's been to Singapore, and according to him u better not be breaking even the smallest laws.

------------------