1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Have Faith In Tom Savage?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, Mar 18, 2015.

?

Do You Have Faith In Tom Savage

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

As everyone has probably noticed as of late, the talk about the Quarterback position for the Houston Texans has been mostly about Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallet over who should start, what they can prove, etc. The odd man out of most conversations is Tom Savage. We can probably assume for the most part that the three Quarterbacks we have on the roster in Mallet, Hoyer, and Savage are going to be the same ones we have during the start of the regular season.

The question is, do you have faith in Tom Savage? Now, by faith, that doesn't necessarily mean you believe he should start for the team. It could simply be that you believe in him enough that you would rather keep him on the team to see what he can do rather than draft a Quarterback in this year's draft. In my opinion, i'm not a fan of Savage. He does have some physical tools that could be refined, but I simply hate the fact that because of him being on the roster, that's pretty much going to stop us from drafting another Quarterback. There is upside in Savage, but I like the upside better in a Quarterback Like Brice Petty or Brett Hundley if they are available later in the draft. I don't know how to really describe it, but Savage just doesn't give me that feeling like one day he can be "the guy". Not terrible, just not "the guy". Same with TJ Yates. He won us a playoff game, but he still gave me that same type of feeling. In my opinion, I think that both Savage and Yates are probably more content with simply being on a roster as Quarterback, regardless of starting rather than trying to prove that they can be great starters in this league.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dark horse candidate for starting QB

Houstunna likes this.
  3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Faith? based on what. we've never seen him play.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If the question is would I rather have Tom Savage or Bryce Petty, then I'd vote Petty.

If the question is would I rather have Tom Savage than Brett Hundley, then I'm not sure. I wasn't blown away by Hundley when I watched him play.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He played in the indy game last year and looked SCARED OUT OF HIS MIND. That was a winnable game, BTW.

So yeah, to answer the OP's question, that would be no. No for me.

#5 ima_drummer2k, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's hard to assess a rookie QB but I would guess he's more like Yates than anything. I don't see him as a future starter in the league.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If Mallet and Hoyer flame out, then I'm not putting all my eggs in the Tom Savage basket, if that's what the question is.

We will not taking a QB in the draft this year. But next year we probably will, regardless of what happens. How Mallet/Hoyer do will determine how high of a pick we use on the QB in 2016.

8. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Faith as In(As I reiterated in my post), Having a place on the roster over drafting a possible rookie quarterback. Obviously, using the word faith was wrong because even when you explain it, people will still find some way to get a different meaning out of it.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that Savage compares favorably to the other third string QBs in The NFL.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Even if Mallett proves to be an above-average starting NFL QB? I can't see it in that scenario. BOB would have a starter, back-up and project - why replace your third-string QB (unless, you know, Andrew Luck, 2.0, somehow falls in your lap)?

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I don't fault him for that performance - no starter reps, crazy situation - just thrown into the fire in a playoff race.

Does that mean I have faith in him though? Not really. He's just an unknown still.

12. Buck Turgidson

Put me down as agnostic.

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I have faith in BOB to evaluate and develop him

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He's a long shot development guy who has a very low chance of making it in the NFL. I have about as much faith in Savage as I did in other Texans late round QB draftees.

Dave Ragone
    Drew Henson
    BJ Symons
    TJ Yates

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I have faith in BOB doing everything he can to develop him, but some people just don't have it in their mental makeup.

16. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

I have faith in him. I was really excited when Savage was called in to play before that fateful knee injury. He showed some nice touch on a couple throws and seems to be a competent hardworker, or BOB would not have drafted him. Petty has average arm strength. He can't gun it to the sideline like Savage, and his deep ball can be pretty meh. Petty simply lacks the zip and velocity on his throws that Savage has. Athleticism wise, I thinks it's probably a draw.There is a reason for the pre draft buzz that was stirring around Savage last year. And Hundley? pass.

If Mallet goes down mid way to late in the year, I think we see what tommy boy can do. Otherwise, we wasted a 4th rd pick.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Sure.. i have faith in him. Doesnt take much to be able to hold a clip board and wear an ear piece on game day.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you're putting faith into late round QB's you're not a rational fan of sports. They drop for a reason. There aren't 3 Tom Brady's every year.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Texan will and should take a QB in this year's draft, whether its a 4th rounder or 6-7 rounder.

They just need to do it.

Its like a lottery ticket, yes the odds are extremely low, but it still can give you some hope.

At this point, the Texan does not trust any of these guys will be our future franchise QB.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Unless someone they absolutely love unexpectedly falls, there is a zero percent chance they'll take a QB. They're not going to release Tom Savage after one year (exchanging him for another late-round project), and Mallett and Hoyer aren't going anywhere, either. There's no roster space.