1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans going to sign Mallet and Hoyer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vjohnson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, then I guess you can cross another sport off that you're willing to lose over one person's tactics that you don't see eye-to-eye with.

And even a F'd up NFL still draws more viewers/fans/$$$ than any of the other sports combined.

The question is not if but when they make it a true year-round league with minimal down-time between "major" events.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is officially

[​IMG]

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's not the whining; it's the allergic reaction to having his lazy conclusions challenged that bothers me. He's admitted to being a casual fan - and that's fine. Meanwhile, he's gone out of his way to portray me as having a much greater interest/investment in the team, which is probably true.

So why is he so reluctant to cede what he, himself, has framed as a likely more… what’s the right word? - Seasoned? Informed? - opinion?

I think he just wants to be angry/negative. You can read it pouring out of his (and others of his ilk’s) posts. Just look how he frames the ’11-’12 seasons – there’s always a “yeah but...” This time (and admittedly, this is a new one), they weren’t relevant (look at the ratings!!!). Of course Super Bowl-or-bust is his expectation; it’s the only one that allows him to perpetually wallow in negativity because it’s a standard that isn’t sincerely realistic as a year-to-year goal.

#223 Hey Now!, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My inability to comprehend? This is the second time in a row I am forced to respond with noting that you are now confirming what you were taking humbrage with.

I said you think it's luck. you said, no that's not what I said. I requoted you to show how that's exactly what you said. And now you've said... well, yeah, it is luck.

And then you're calling me out on comprehension??? Is this bizarro world??? I mean wow.

I think this is a pattern for you. You're too invested, you're not invested enough. It's not luck, it is luck.

Dude... I can only respond to what you're typing. At this point I'm not sure if your next response will be another 180 or not...

No clue what Rick Smith does. His title says GM. I recognize there are coaches/GMs out there. Whatever this hybrid model the Texans have used doesn't seem to work. Rick Smith has done a below average job as GM, which is what his title says, and what it appears he does.

Levels of success vary, scheme's help, etc. But Aaron Rodgers is a great QB on any team.

I agree, the team maxed out Schaub's talents. Carr could have been better in a better environment.

None of which changes the fact that the organization has failed, organizationally, to put a good enough product on the field over an extended period of time.

They were maxing out Schaub. There was a brief sliver of hope he might be better, but it became apparent in relatively short order that his success was also very scheme based. Yet they still passed on an opportunity to get an obviously better QB... which is not to say Manning would have come... but is to point out they thought... nah, we got Matt Schaub, we're good!!

I'm talking about the organization as a whole over a period of time. Surely we're not going to argue over whether or not Rick Smith has been an above average drafter?

Even worse than my horrible analogies ;)

Franchise history matters and impacts fans. Even in cases where ownership changes this remains true, though to a much lesser extent. Fans obviously give new owners chances, new regimes chances, etc. But history matters, and when you clean house and there still some remnants, and the track record seems to be along the same path - random backup QB pickups (though this time even worse than Schaub), another seemingly average at best draft class despite the new regime, etc... it's not inspiring hope...

Disagree... a LOT.
    Luck ABSOLUTELY plays a part.
    But skill, and knowledge is huge.

Way different sport of course, but you could argue it's luck for basketball as well in the draft. But there's a reason why some managers consistently draft better than others, or make smart player personnel moves, and some seem to consistently be doing dumb things.

DM doesn't always nail his draft picks, but man his record is way better than most of the league.

They didn't put all their eggs in the Flynn basket... they did the exact opposite. Yes, drafting Wilson was shrewd. No I'm not being intellectually dishonest when I point to Wilson as an example. Yes, it is cherry-picking, but that's what I get to do. It helps when there are multiple cherries to pick.

It's not just QB of course. QB is the most obvious... but the Seahawks rise has been built on actually being really good at drafting, especially in the middle rounds. I know you're calling it luck.

I, and pretty much every other analysis out there would disagree.

Here's a pretty good article attempting to judge drafting success: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...raft-lately/H5mBGyXErkXptvVPFzg9TM/story.html

And another one: http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/07/nf...-49ers-tennessee-titans-new-england-patriots/

And if you agree with the analysis then some of it is about luck, true. The Texans haven't been abysmal... they've been average (though both were from before last year's draft, which should drop the Texans down). But they correctly note, even if you are an ok drafter, if you consistently fail to get a better QB, it doesn't matter. Even if you are a bad drafter, if you have a QB that is at least above average you compete... but you know all this

You brought up relevance. If you want to tie relevance principally to winning, which is fine - I just would have said winning, not relevance - I don't think that really strengthen's your argument, but whatever. They're not a very relevant franchise. Nor are they a super winning franchise.

I am happy to not care about relevance and only care about winning. I'd love it if the Texans were the Spurs of the NFL!

#224 JayZ750, Mar 12, 2015
  5. JayZ750

This is tiring....

I AM RESPONDING TO YOUR COMMENTS. I have not gone out of my way to do anything. YOU INSINUATED I WAS TOO INVESTED IN THE TEAM. Not me. I responded to that. Then you INSINUATED THAT I WASN'T INVESTED ENOUGH IN THE TEAM.

You're going in circles.

To be clear.. I encourage debate and discussion. I have no problem being challenged. Challenge me with something... other than luck??

My opinion is that the team is mediocre, that these moves are boring and don't move the needle and don't point to any master plan that might get you there. My opinion is they've been average to below average at drafting, they've missed opportunities they could have taken, even if other teams have also missed those opportunities (it doesn't excuse the Texans from also being bad here), and thus far the B'Ob era is looking a fair amount like the beginning of the Kubiak era... BUT that I am still giving his regime a chance.

I'm not sure what your opinion is. As best as I can tell, it SEEMS to be that they've done their best, are actually decent at their jobs, but have just been hit by bad luck, and that most of their moves make sense... except later when they don't and you can cherry pick other moves that would have made more sense.

But I don't know.. maybe that's not your opinion??

I'm not framing anything. They did pretty good those seasons. They still weren't remotely close to being anything special. That's not a yeah, but... that's fact. 2011 is the closest they've ever been to that, and perhaps they were a special team that year, but for the Schaub injury. But then, there was the Schaub injury... like previous Schaub injuries.

For crying out loud. One, you brought up relevance. You noted that you don't watch a certain filmmaker because he hasn't been relevant. Two, I noted neither have the Texans... Three, I didn't think I had to type AGAIN how they've been an average franchise from a performance perspective at best. I've said it, and it's not an opinion, just fact. I didn't think I had to point out AGAIN how they haven't been a great winning franchise as it pertained to their relevance... we know they've already been average to below average in that department on the whole.

I was trying to give you some benefit of the doubt as to what you might have been referring to when you brought up relevance as a reason to be a fan of something.

-----

I think this goes back to the comments that you don't think the fans deserve better. What I feel from you, from this thread, and a decade+ now of posting on the Texans, is that you think it's the team and organization that deserves better, not the fans. That fans shouldn't voice negativity because the organization is trying and it's just bad luck! I think... that you think fans should be on board, all the time.

That's actually my definition of a pretty bad fan.

#225 JayZ750, Mar 12, 2015
  6. JayZ750

BTW... I am going to take the advice of the great :rolleyes: bobbythegreat and exit stage left.

This went from a yawn, not excited, don't understand how Hoyer moves the needle to discussion on the overally history and success of the Texans, to discussions about me both being too invested, and not invested enough, too critical of the role of luck, and not critical enough of the role of luck, and apparently demanding too much of the team which got a large majority of its stadium publicly financed, has become the 5th most valuable franchise in the league, rakes in cash... yet generally disappoints.

To a complaint about cherry picking draft choices and implying the Seahawks have been lucky in what they drafted... not that they've actually been really really good at drafting.

There's not much to really argue about anymore.

I won't change an opinion which is the Texans could be doing a lot better, organizationally.

I'll always be a fan, will watch Obrien play it out, and am happy to come back and eat crow if/when the model proves me wrong... though I strongly suspect that if and when that day comes, it won't include any meaningful value contribution from Brian Hoyer!! :)

PEACE!

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Things are always better when people take my advice.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sincerely, I’m beyond tired of this discussion. I’ll indulge long enough to address this because I detest people misrepresenting me – but then I’m moving on.
    The “luck” discussion was a slight detour in the middle of a much broader conversation; you’ve jammed it into the wrong context and then confused yourself. (Notice how you removed your comment that separated the two thoughts?)

Every team makes mistakes. There is no perfect franchise. In that regard, the Texans are normal. They don’t make appreciably more or less mistakes than the average team.

In terms of how those decisions play out on the field – well, that’s infinitely more complicated. It’s not as easy as, “The Texans make mistakes; therefore, the Texans fail.” They fail for a variety of reasons, including (but not exclusively) bad luck. And they fail in spite of making definitively good decisions (JJ Watt).

Got it?

Good luck this year; I hope the Texans do well in the Nielsen’s for you….

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

^^^ This was 50 posts that went absolutely nowhere.

[​IMG]

10. JayZ750

F'ing a... do not pull me back in.. do not... too late... since I'm being misrepresented.

You bring up relevance. I bring up ratings. You imply I only care about ratings. I note I am happy to only talk about winning and be the Spurs of the NFL... the ultimate winners that aren't otherwise relevant, you reply... AGAIN, implying my concern is ratings.

This is a serious question. Are you capable of reading comprehension?

You make little jabs at me that my ability to copy and paste doesn't mean I can comprehend... um.. actually, reading what someone else says, and quoting them, and responding to what they are saying... is doing exactly that. Please, point out where I said ratings were a concern of mine? Not even a top concern.. a concern at all?? Please... anywhere, point it out.

In reverse...

You point out it's just a game and you're not that invested. I point out you're more invested than me. I guess(??) you either take offense to that, or realize it's true, so then imply your more invested opinion matters more.

I'm not sure. Unlike you, I am comprehending what you are writing and simply responding to it. You are taking what I'm writing, and misrepresenting it.

Now I'm out (I guess, unless someone wants to call me a doodoo head and hurt my feelings!)

11. conquistador#11

i'm on team mallet or hoyer, more team mallet though.
    coach is not going to hinge his career on those 2 guys, if they can't play the way he wants, smart with the football and make 3rd down completions
    . Remember the 2012 roster, super bowl contenders by a lot of outsiders but the fail of ONE guy made that entire roster of probowlers and near probowlers look like a bunch of chumps. Just like the 12-4 cowboys full of probowlers will turn into chumps if they don't work out a trade for AP and have to rely on romo every down.
    everything is so dependent on everything else.

May the smartest and more poise qb win!

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well, I admit that they are riding high right now but (and I really hate to admit this) Mark Cuban was right when he said that "Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered" and the NFL is looking pretty hoggish right now. They are so powerful now it is inevitable that they will screw it up. As for baseball, I really don't miss it at all. Things are very peaceful now and I get to watch the "Curse of Nolan Ryan" pimp-slap the Texas Rangers and John Daniels as an added bonus.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In retrospect... it's not like Hoyer makes us a contender. I would just put my eggs in the Mallett basket and use that money to sign more help. We'd still need a backup QB but there are cheaper options out there.