1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is our ideal first round matchup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m0lson, Feb 26, 2015.

1. m0lson

m0lson Member

Looking at the West's teams, it looks like there will be no easy first rounds. Rockets are currently looking at a 1st round meeting vs the Clippers and I currently like the match-up, but when Blake returns it gets more tricky.

So who do you think would be the ideal first round match-up (assuming its OKC and SA instead of the Suns and Pelicans). At this point I would pick the Mavs. Dirk is old, their point guard situation is a mess as Rondo hasn't worked out at all.

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I think (and want) San Antonio. Go big or nothing!

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There is no "Ideal" matchup because they all are perfectly capable of beating the Rockets.

However I'd say Dallas seems like the most vulnerable due to injuries being a potential factor, the fact that their defense is suspect at times, and not sure Dirk is truly unstoppable anymore even though I wont count him out.

Monta Ellis is their most deadly weapon and I like Ariza's defense on guards like him.

The travel also makes it a bit easier of a series. You can get more practice/prep/rest time at home vs. staying at a hotel.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dallas
    San Antonio
    Portland
    Memphis
    Clippers
    Golden State
    OKC

From most favorable to least.

5. m0lson

m0lson Member

SA would be my second choice, they have been pretty much meh all season and I know that they can turn it on during playoff time, but I really think they are starting to show their age (for realz this time)

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly the West is so brutal that I don't think there is a good first round matchup.

My ideal matchup is really anyone but the Clippers and I'd prefer to be on the opposite side of the bracket from the Warriors. The rest of the teams in the West I think are similar to us. Good enough to win any series but would also have no shame in losing to their opponent.

I would be surprised if someone other than the Warrior wins the West, but in each individual matchup I wouldn't be surprised by any team winning.

7. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

DAL > SAS > LAC but with the way things have been going.. We have a pretty strong chance of facing OKC

My Predicted Final Standings:
    1.MEM
    2.GSW
    3.HOU
    4.POR
    5.OKC
    6.LAC
    7.SAS
    8.DAL

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yes, this lineup right here. This is why I would rather the Rockets not get the second seed because OKC could creep up to the 7th seed.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

dallas
    san antonio
    portland
    okc
    memphis
    gsw
    clippers

in this order

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

My worry with facing Dallas or San Antonio is McHale will undoubtedly get outcoached by Carlisle/Pop. Who am I kidding, McHale will get outcoached by every single WC team other than OKC, and OKC has the talent advantage over us.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Don't care. We had our supposed ideal matchup last year, and it didn't do us any good. Hopefully, we get the highest possible seed, and let the chips fall where they may.

12. m0lson

m0lson Member

meanwhile in the east

atlanta
    toronto
    cleveland
    chicago
    washington
    milwaukee
    miami
    brooklyn

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Preferably, a team with a history of losing and choking in the first round.

So, the Houston Rockets.

2 people like this.
  14. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Looking at our schedule I am predicting 54 wins. I think the west shapes out like this:

1. Warriors
    2. Grizzlies
    3. Blazers
    4. Rockets
    5. Mavericks
    6. Clippers
    7. Thunder
    8. Spurs

First Round: Spurs upset Warriors, Grizzlies beat Thunder, Blazers beat Clippers, Rockets beat Mavdicks,

Second Round: Rockets over Spurs, Blazers beat Grizzlies

Conference Finals: Rockets over Blazers

East: Cavs in 4 (Will win the entire conference in 4 games total)

Finals: Rockets over Cavs in game 7 at Toyota Center with James Harden stepback 3 with 2.5 seconds left over Lebron's contest and Rusty Harden's hairpiece is spiked on the ground.

2 people like this.
  15. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

1. Mavericks
    2. Blazers
    3. Clippers
    4. Warriors
    5. Spurs
    6. Grizzlies
    7. Thunder

16. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Lol! I would die

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

go to go through them all to win it, so it doesn't matter who we play

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

The Undesirables:

Golden State Warriors - A year ago, they would've been someone we would love to have faced. Its amazing what a difference a coaching change made for them. Kerr has them playing at an elite level. Curry is neck and neck with Harden for the MVP race, Thompson is his all-star running mate, Draymond Green & Bogut are DPOY candidates, and they have Iggy and Speights off the bench. They've blitzed the Rockets in every single gamer we've played this season. We want to avoid them at all costs until the WCF.

Los Angeles Clippers - Don't be fooled by our win over them. They've had our number for the past few seasons. They’re practically the Supersonics of the present era. CP3 is the second best PG in the game and he finds ways to eviscerate our defense and get his teammates involved. Crawford and Redick finds ways to light us up. Griffin and DJ absolutely bully us; outrebounding and dunking on our big men. They seem to know how to lock down on Harden.

The Coin-Tosses:

Memphis Grizzlies – This would be a hell of a grind-it-out series. Howard vs Gasol, Motie vs Z-Bo. They’ve added an additional wrinkle to their offense by trading for Jeff Green just as we did by signing Smoove. Conley outclasses Bev, yet Harden has seemed to figure out Allen. The games have been fairly close the past few seasons. It’d come down to whichever team is clicking on offense.

Portland Trailblazers – Last season’s playoffs were a heartbreaker. 9 times out of 10, Houston would’ve won the series. We just lived the unlucky ‘one’. I’m more confident in Motiejunas being able to hold Aldridge to under 40 a game;unfortunately I have no confidence in Bev being able to keep in front of Lilliard. Wes, Batum and the recent Afflalo can all guard Harden effectively. Our bench is without question better than theirs…but would they show up? Will Harden disappear again? Or will Howard not be able to have a repeat performance?

Oklahoma City Thunder – I feel its safest to put them here. We have yet to face them with their new look roster. Will their refurbished bench pound ours? Will Kanter be able to get into Howard’s head like Perkins did? Will Durant’s foot injury hinder them in the playoffs? It all remains to be seen.

I’ll Bet on Us:

San Antonio Spurs: Isn’t it amazing that we haven’t played the Spurs in the playoffs since 20 years ago? During our championship run? A few times we would’ve been able to duel them had it not been for heartbreaking losses. The Spurs right now are a mess; injuries and age are creeping up on them. Our athleticism and star power would be a HUGE advantage to us. We swept them last season, and I feel we would’ve won the last game had we kept our rotations the same instead of throwing everything off by starting Smoove too soon. All dynasties come to an end, and this may be the swan song for Duncan and the Spurs.

Dallas Mavericks – Rondo is not a good fit for them. What he brings on defense, their offense suffers twice as much. Dirk is no Aldridge and he will not be dropping 40 on us. We have three players we can throw at Ellis to slow him down; the Mavs have none, unless you count Rondo. Our stingy defense will hold their offense down. Call me cocky, but I feel like its destiny to play them this season, to avenge our loss 10 years ago. THIS is the series I feel would be most in our favor.

Ideal scenario?

(8) Thunder def. Warriors (1)
    (4) Blazers def. Clippers (5)
    (2) Grizzlies def. Spurs (7)
    (3) Rockets def. Mavericks (6)

(4) Blazers def. Thunder (8)
    (3) Rockets def. Grizzlies (2)

(3) Rockets def. Blazers (4)

1 person likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

nobody

we really don't have an ideal match up

maybe the Mavs, but you don't know when Dirk and Rondo might randomly go off in the playoffs

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I think the only real advantage to be gained in the standings is home court advantage. After that, all bets are off as any team on this list is capable of beating the other in the playoffs, IMO.

From most favorable to least:
    Dallas
    San Antonio
    Portland
    Memphis
    Golden State
    OKC
    Clippers

I'm not as afraid of GS as others are...yes they are doing great this year but it is a team we owned in the past and I actually feel like our game matches up well to theirs. OKC and the Clippers scare me--Clippers when healthy just have our number. OKC is the same team as in the past and if they are healthy, should be counted on as one of the favorites.

I think we match up ok against Dallas, SA, Memphis (as long as Dwight is back). Portland is a bit of a wild card given our recent playoff history with them and our struggles with Aldridge... i

n conclusion, GIMME DALLAS!!!!