1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies talking with Larry Brown about coaching job

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Achilleus, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Memphis, TN-News Channel 3 has learned the Memphis Grizzlies are talking with NBA coaching great Larry Brown about their coaching job. Brown, who's currently a vice-president with the Philadelphia 76ers, is the fourth all-time winningest coach in NBA history. He was fired by the New York Knicks after one season, last year, over a falling out with management. Brown is the only coach to win an NCAA championship and an NBA world championship. Brown is considered by many to be a perfect fit for young teams like the one the Grizzlies are building.

Brown is a frequent visitor to Memphis in off-seasons because he's a close friend and mentor to Tigers coach John Calipari. Brown spent several days in Memphis during last month's Conference USA tournament. Coincidentally, Brown almost became the Memphis Tigers coach back in the late seventies, but he turned down the job that eventually went to Dana Kirk. Stay tuned to News Channel 3 and wreg.com for updates.

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=6422306

2. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Larry Brown won't be able to handle the Grizzlies. It's another lottery bound team just like the Knicks. He'll quit after one season. He needs a playoff contender like the Pistons.

3. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

If they can get the top draft see this year, they'll become a contender team for the number 9 spot :)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He got lucky to win in Detroit, his style is not conducive to winning with today's players.

I hope they hire Brown, that means the Rockets will own them for years to come.

Larry Brown - pFFT !!

DD

5. cson

cson Contributing Member

Seriously at this point does Brown get a shot at every team?
    And, why?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

LB had one bad run with a badly run NYKnix team. He is HoF as a coach. Grizz would be lucky to hire him.

That said, I don't see it happening. Brown in a FedEx town? At his prices v the penury of the ownership group (still trying to sell)? Nada chance.

I hope larry gets a gig in the NBA. Preferably not here, tho.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

guy is way overrated

he is going to have the same problem as with the knicks

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Larry Brown has got to be one of the most overrated coaches ever

9. sohrab

sohrab Member

Why does this overrated fraud keep getting jobs?

If they were smart, they'd hire Tom Thibideux. Or however you spell it.

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Or the rockets. haha jk. I know there quite a few board members who would like this guy on our team but I prefer JVG any day of the week

11. Major

Major Member

Perhaps because he's been absurdly successful everywhere he's ever been except for Knicks?

How exactly is Larry Brown overrated? Outside of the Knicks disaster, he's consistently turned around franchise after franchise. And none of those franchises have maintained that level success without him.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a body of work, his career is not overrated. He's been a great coach and his record speaks for itself. It's only recently that his personality quirks have become such a problem, and winning the championship in Detroit was the worst thing that could have happened to LB.

Since I consider the Grizz somewhat of a rival, I hope LB gets the job and drives them into the ground. Realistically, I think LB will have a different attitude there because his tactic of trying to backstab and ride Zeke out of NY didn't work and obviously the Grizz will have a short leash with any shenanigans. My guess is he will go back to his "normal" self and do a good job of turning them around. Then he will ditch them. I think Mr. Neurotic is desperate to salvage his reputation.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This is a myth. There's only one place you could say he was 'absurdly successful', and that's Detroit. Even then, they were already good when he got there and then added Rasheed Wallace.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

didnt the grizz get rid of fratello b/c they wanted to open up the offense? :confused:

15. Major

Major Member

?? He was only coach to have any success with the Iverson 76ers. Until last year, he was the only coach to take the Clippers to the playoffs in who knows how long. Detroit was already good when he got there, but he made them better - the two years he was there, they won a championship and they made it to game 7 of the finals. They didn't have that kind of success before or after.

Outside of Detriot, it's not like he was taking good teams and making them great. He was taking terrible teams and making them good. And since Memphis is a terrible team, it seems like a good fit.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know I'd say he's overrated, but he is a flake, and probably getting flakier as he gets older. I wouldn't touch him. And the Knicks job is hard to overlook. They might not have a great team but it was a lot better than Brown made it into. Isiah, of all people, showed that to be the case. That was a coaching disaster of notable proportions.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Indiana got better after he left. New York got better after he left. The Clippers had good talent (Manning, Harper, Mark Jackson, etc) - he didn't perform a miracle to get them to .500. There's no evidence that he "made" Detroit better; they had a good season - 50 or so wins and an ECF I believe - then he arrived, they added Rasheed Wallace, and they took another step forward. Joe Dumars was more integral to their success.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why exactly is he considered "great"? And why are teams stupid enough to talk to him? :rolleyes: :confused:

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

-Well before he to Det there they were not winning the East (two strait finals, one championship) and since then they have not won the East (though they should this year).

-And as Major said there is Phily (made NBA finals on a very formidable and together 6er team, and unlike the Nets, actually won a game versus Shaq's prime Lakers)

-Kansas (college NC)

Now I actually think Larry Brown is a terrible fit for Memphis. He is best for a talented but underachieving team that just needs to some tweaks and better team committment for a short period. Like if something bad happened between JVG-Les.

20. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

the knicks disaster had a lot to do with isaiah thomas..but any coach is overrated without the talent if u think about it

i mean look at jvg last year..look at jvg this year.

look at phil with shaq and kobe..look at phil with kobe.

find good players to make a team then bring in a good coach. coaches don't shoot the ball.