1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. elainas

elainas Member

DMo is 4, its new role and new stronger body to figth, its his weakness but I think he will improve that in next few seasons, look at progress and weigth from year and now

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sorry. Not ready for prime time.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MosGov was giving us heck in the 1st half . . . i don't think i heard his name at all in the second

Rocket River

4. moodazz

moodazz Member

yes, he would fit much better with Dwight defending the rim. + with TJ and Smoove we can go very far. Anyways Rockets has 5W in a row VS CAVS BKN LAC RAPTORS and TIMBERWV, thats a best result now in the league.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when DMo was an X-factor....back when he was a power forward? It seems so long ago now.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really hate this board sometimes. It's like we have to crap on one player no matter the result.

7. moodazz

moodazz Member

still DMO is doing little things, boxing out the ball, setting good screens, helping mates, those little things bring a lot to the team.

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Dmo is doing the little things...

But he is not boxing very good and he's over helping...

He has to start playing mad and dunk the dang ball... This is not JR. high.. I mean elementary (They already dunking in Jr. High).

T_Man

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was PISSED at him in the 1st half
    But in the Second Half he was good
    Like I said . .. we were not getting hurt at the Center Position

It was more about his missed or something but MosGov
    or whoever was at center seemed like a none factor in the second half

Rocket River

10. moodazz

moodazz Member

you are judging too much, jr high wont score 16pts in nba with 50%. And dont forget C is not his main position.
    You guys are forgetting one thing, DMO was a gold for us this year, after TJ injury, and all those DWIGHT problems, look at our standing, its not so bad huh?

11. seeingred

seeingred Member

well, even my untrained eyes can see that all our big men seem to show/trap on the pick and roll. The Cavs continually did the LBJ+Thompson set up because it creates a mismatch. If DMo doesn't jump out, Lebron will pass him as he goes to dunk over him. If he does, Lebron can alley oop (if no one takes Thompson) or (if a wing comes over) pass/shoot with confidence knowing Thompson will probably beat out the wing player.

my point is - all our big men jump out like that. Not sure it's a "DMo" thing as much as it's part of our defense that the Cavs were able to take advantage of today.

12. T_Man

Call it what you want but it seems a lot of people only want to talk about the praise and not accept the other parts.

DMo is doing ok, but he's till doing too much weak side help and that is killing the defensive rotation.

He has outstanding low post moves, but he has to get stronger with his moves. The league may not have many fundamentally sound big men, but there are a lot of athletic big men. He has to go up and dunk the ball, he can't do layups in this league.

I have no problem with giving DMo praise, but I also understand where DMo has to play stronger and smarter.

T_Man

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DMo to PF or backup C when Dwight comes back?

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is making this decision tough on McHale, which I like.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Teams know that if they want DMo out of the post all they have to do is run a pick and roll and DMo will take off around the perimeter chasing guards instead of guarding the paint. Very frustrating to watch uncontested lay-ups because of that. I really like DMo on offense when he looks for his shot like he was early in the game but his rebounding has bend absent almost completely. I like him but I think TJones is just better and does more.

1 person likes this.
  16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

DMo cannot play center. He needs to play with a real center to be effective. He can't hold guys in the post that well and doesn't hold his ground for rebounds.

17. T_Man

Exactly...

T_Man

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

D-mo has a full season of wear, and Jones just got back.

If Jones continues to play like this he is a borderline star, but I'm just not ready to say that. Prior to this stretch he was only a slightly better rebounder than D-mo, a much worse defensive player, and a worse shooter.

People are to quick to make judgements after a few games.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

D-Mo has been slipping on rebounding badly. He's definitely overmatched at C size-wise sometimes - and we've played BKN's Lopez, LAC's Jordan and CLE's Mozgov - but two rebounds in 30 minutes is unacceptable no matter what the excuse. What we need from a big man is 8 rebounds in 30 minutes. What we should accept from D-Mo is roughly 6 rebounds in 30 minutes. I've been defending him because he creates a lot of rebounding opportunities for teammates, but 2 rebounds is ridiculous for a big man. He should be embarrassed when looking at that stat sheet.

He's slipping badly and Jones has been tearing it up. I can see D-Mo back to the bench come playoffs because Howard makes a bigger defensive impact, which makes Jones' energy/activity and weakside shotblocking and meh defense a better fit next to Howard. Out of the 3 PF's, Jones' style of play is most likely to suit our two cornerstones because he doesn't clog it up inside as much, he feeds off misses and loose balls, and can operate more efficiently from further out. Jones can put up 15-20 points without ever having a play run for him or the ball ever starting in his hands. I can actually see D-Mo and Josh Smith dominating off the bench as a C/PF duo.

If D-Mo wants to start, he has to prove his rebounding is less of a weakness than Smith's offense and Jones' defense.

1 person likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think D-Mo will do better as a PF. Your points are very valid, though.