1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Alexey Shved's PER 19.7?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. I used to think PER was a good measurement of a player's overall production. I have come to despise it now. I wish they just threw it to the garbage can. It tells you nothing useful about how good a player is.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yeah this sounds like you just described KPap

3. baubo

baubo Member

All per-minute stats would look stupid if you think of it as a measurement of overall production.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sounds like Papanikolaou. I like this. Morey has a knack for finding talented pg's

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I've watched him play a number of times and yes he is an enigma kind of like Lin type of inconsistency. Some games he gets hot from deep others he can't hit anything. He's got good size for a wing and decent handles but can get bullied by stronger players. He plays soft at times and his bb iq isn't as high as Papa. I don't expect him to play a lot of minutes on a contending team. With that being said he hasn't gotten the opportunity to play on a contender so maybe the change of scenery will do him good. He has talent, just needs a boost in confidence.

6. CrashTheBoards

I Hate when people say things like this without offering up alternative stats they thing are more meaningful.
    Everyone knows per has flaws, especially when a player does not play many minutes. He could be playing a lot in garbage time or against back ups and third stringers a lot because philly gets blown out lot. Nobody takes him or that team seriously and they underestimate what he can do.

If you understand how per works it is not garbage. Not good, but not garbage.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Shved >>>> Lerbron.

8. CrashTheBoards

Also, he is in a contract year so even when he is getting blown out he is looking to get his own. Evan turners numbers looked great in philly as well. Even covington looked like an all star a couple of games.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Scouting report from ESPN Insider:

Ouch.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's averaging 21 points and 6 assists per 36 minutes played. Doesn't that pretty much explain it?

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'd like to propose a new rule: How about unless you actually know how PER is calculated, don't just dismiss it as a garbage state because it gives you an unexpected result?

Shved's posting a good steal rate, he's putting up 5.8 AST/36 with only 2.3 TO, and his high volume of 3PAs and FTAs largely offset his low FG% (which is still a career high). It should be noted that he's done all of this in 285 MP, so sample size is a major issue. He'll regress.

Anyway, Alexey's got some intriguing skills, but he really can't shoot the ball at all. I'm not expecting him to make much of an impact.

EDIT: FYI, here's a quick and dirty formula for calculating PER:

(((FGM*85.91)+(3PM*51.757)+(FTM*46.845)+(STL*53.897)+(BLK*39.19)+(ORB*39.19)+(AST*34.667)+(DRB*14.707)-(PF*17.174)-((FTA-FTM)*20.091)-((FGA-FGM)*39.19)-(TOV*53.897))*(1/MP)) * Pace Adjustment Multiplier

#31 dharocks, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Remlap

Remlap Member

Schved-Heads Unite! LOL

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...that makes me wonder if Morey's squad is looking at the larger sample size of his play in Russia/national team and making some evaluations based on that too. As harsh as that scouting report is, Minnesota and Philly are two of the worst franchises in the league so I'm not totally going to rule out poor coaching/org structure. Bad teams seem to be able to take even the biggest can't miss prospects and make them underperform.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

When he plays PG, it's even higher than that 19.7 number. I think it was 23.1. :)

15. Ghost_of_Akeem

The main problem I have with PER is that it values offensive production too much and doesn't account for a how good a player is on the defensive end.

16. jaguarthis

jaguarthis New Member

You can't easily find out why Alexey so high on some stats because he played for 76sand you know what I mean...Watching how fantastic Coventon could play on this team and you'll probably understand every player on the court can play ******* good if the coach gives him a quantity of chance and, oh, regardless of the WARP