1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Texans pick Sean Taylor out of the U. of Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

....according to the mock draft on HoustonTexans.com. It looks like from that draft, we're going to make a trade for the 5th pick w/ Washington. Can't wait for the draft on the 24th! Even if we don't get Taylor, at least we can get someone as equal as him in the draft.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd like it too, but I don't think he's going to be there. I'll bet we take that CB from Ohio State. Gamble?

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

A team like the Texans will not trade up.
    We need depth before we start giving away our draft picks.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That mock draft is actually a fan poll on the Texans website. When it came to the 5th pick, the first question was "Should the Texans trade up for this pick?". That got an overwhelming "yes". Then it asked who they should draft. It has nothing to do with whether the Texans will actually do that or not.

That said, I have faith in Charlie Casserly to do what is best for the team. If he feels that they really need to spend a few picks to get Taylor, then he'll pull the trigger. If not, then we will get the best player available that will help the Texans right away.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Gamble is 3rd best CB in the draft, at best.

If we go with that position, it will either be Hall or Robinson.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

I predict Gamble will become the best defensive player out of this draft. But no way he goes that high.

If Taylor wasn't available at 5, I'd guess Gallery could be?

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I don't think so. I think NY will get either Manning or Gallery. SD will get the other one.

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

My first chioce would be Taylor, but if he's gone I want D'Angelo Hall.

9. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I see us taking Hall in the first round and Sean Jones or Tubbs in the second, addressing all of our needs with the first three rounds.

Texans needs, I think we'd all agree are Safety, CB and NT.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man you got me all excited for nothing. I thought you had heard a trade rumor or something.

11. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

D'angelo Hall is the fastest player in the draft and is the best defensive player in the draft behind Sean Taylor. Wouldnt mind gettin a potential shut down corner and were gonna have at least or 2 or 3 highly touted safeties to pick from by the time our pick comes up. Who are just marginally behind Taylor. (sean jones and matt ware for ex.) We should stay where we are......I want a legit corner.....Hall all the way......

12. Rockets34Legend

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-nfldraftpreviewdefen&prov=fanball&type=lgns

NFL Draft Preview: Defensive Backs

by Jason Powell - Associate Editor, Fanball.com
    Friday, April 16, 2004

With so many teams searching for help in the secondary, defensive backs are at a premium in this year's NFL draft. At the top of the list is University of Miami free safety Sean Taylor, who will be selected within the first 10 picks of the April 24-25 draft.

Once Taylor is drafted, the defensive back focus will shift to cornerback. DeAngelo Hall of Virginia Tech, Dunta Robinson of South Carolina, and Chris Gamble of Ohio State are considered the best corners of this year's class, and each player is expected to hear his name called during the first round of the draft.

Sean Taylor, Miami-FL
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 231 Likely Draft Position: Early-First Round Possible Destinations: Redskins, Texans, Lions, Patriots NFL Comparison: Ronnie Lott

Blessed with the soft hands of a receiver, the speed of a corner, and the size of a small linebacker, Taylor is rated by some scouts as the best overall player in the draft. Although he probably won't be selected with the first pick overall, he will undoubtedly be the first defensive player chosen. Taylor's big hit ability scored him several highlight reel appearances on Sports Center, but he's more than just a heavy hitter. When Miami played Pittsburgh last season, Taylor was often placed in man-to-man coverage against Larry Fitzgerald. Taylor did such a good job in the game that he helped Miami hold the wideout sensation to just 24 receiving yards. Even more impressive is that Taylor and the Hurricane's kept Fitzgerald out of the end zone, breaking the receiver's record of 18 consecutive games with a score.

Taylor' jaw-jacking ability also carries over to his game against the run, which his Miami teammate Vince Wilfork summed up pretty nicely. "Just look over your shoulder," Wilfork told USA Today. "If you see No. 26 (Taylor's college number)… move, because he will blast you." Some scouts feel that Taylor's big hit ability actually hurts him sometimes. They feel that Taylor could help his own cause by limiting the big hits in favor of simply making sure he brings receivers to the ground. It didn't happen often, but there were a few times during Taylor's career at Miami when he gave up big plays by blowing off a sure tackle in favor of dishing out a big hit, only to have elusive receivers slip by him.

In the latest Fanball mock draft, Taylor was taken with the fourth overall selection. That pick currently belongs to the Washington Redskins, who may use it to select Taylor. However, the Texans and Patriots are rumored to have an interest in trading up to get Taylor, and there's a chance that officials from the Redskins and Lions may be willing to move down. Obviously, playing in Bill Belichick's defense would be an ideal situation for Taylor, but he should be a fantasy factor no matter where he winds up on draft day. His speed and hands should produce some interceptions, and that much-heralded big hit ability could force some turnovers. Detroit is one team the Patriots are talking trade with, but there's also a chance that Steve Mariucci won't be able to pass on Taylor if the safety is still on the board when the Lions pick at No. 6.

DeAngelo Hall, Virginia Tech
    Height: 5-10 Weight: 197 Likely Draft Position: Early-First Round Possible Destinations: Jaguars, Texans, Steelers NFL Comparison: Deion Sanders

It's not often that a defensive player's skills are likened to those of Michael Vick, but that's the comparison some scouts are making between Hall and his famous fellow alumnus. The cornerback set the Virginia Tech conditioning record with a 4.15 time in the 40-yard dash indoors, and he didn't disappoint scouts when he ran a 4.37 during a recent outdoor workout. If Hall was just two inches taller, there's a very good chance he would be pushing Taylor for the distinction of being the first defensive player selected in the draft. A sloppy game against Larry Fitzgerald, which included Hall giving up the game winning score to the Pittsburgh star, also hurt the corner's draft standing.

Hall's speed makes him dangerous on the punt return team, where he should have an immediate impact as a rookie. His only flaw in the special teams game is that he was known to fumble the ball occasionally in college. Hall not only has the speed of Deion Sanders, but the cocky attitude to match. Unfortunately, Hall shares one more trait with the former Pro Bowl cornerback turned obnoxious CBS studio analyst: He's been known to play like a patsy against the run. Still, we don't see that flaw causing him to drop below the other corners on this list, simply because most scouts are too in love with Hall's speed.

The Jaguars have a big interest in Hall, but the Texans have a need at both corner and punt return and may attempt to trade up. The Steelers may also be in the market for a corner if they can't get quarterback Philip Rivers, but Hall would have a hard time wrestling the special teams duties away from Antwaan Randle El. The Jets are desperate for corner help after failing to land Antoine Winfield in free agency, and would be giddy if Hall drops to them at the No. 12 spot.

Dunta Robinson, South Carolina
    Height: 5-10 Weight: 186 Likely Draft Position: Mid-First Round Possible Destinations: Steelers, Jets, Bills NFL Comparison: Terence Newman

Robinson's 4.34 time in the 40-yard dash is actually a hair faster than the time Hall posted. Given that both corners ran a similar time and have similar measurements, there's a chance that Robinson could be chosen ahead of the Virginia Tech receiver if teams sour on Hall's arrogance. What's keeping Robinson listed below Hall on most draft boards is the assumption that he'll take a little longer to develop. One reason scouts predict a rougher transition for Robinson is that he is inexperienced at the corner position. He started only two years at South Carolina, and spent some of that time playing safety. Robinson also needs to work on his man-to-man coverage, as he prefers playing the zone style used by the Game Cocks.

Originally considered a mid-to-late first round pick, Robinson's stock is rising because of the fast 40-yard dash time and the widespread need of cornerbacks. Herm Edwards is one coach who thinks Robinson can handle man-to-man coverage, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Jets coach select Robinson if Hall is already taken by the time the team picks at No. 12. Saints' officials will be dancing down Bourbon Street if Robinson falls to them at No. 18, but we'd be shocked if he's still on the board that late.

Chris Gamble, Ohio State
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 181 Likely Draft Position: Mid-to-Late-First Round Possible Destinations: Bengals, Saints, Eagles NFL Comparison: Ahmed Plummer

Gamble was one of the fastest players at Ohio State, but his 4.45 time in the 40-yard dash hasn't done much to impress NFL scouts. He was versatile enough to play cornerback, wide receiver, and return punts in college. Unfortunately, this has led some scouts to suggest that he never really mastered any of those positions. There is also some question as to whether Gamble is polished enough to start during his rookie season, which means most teams would probably use him at nickel back. Scouts say Gamble has to work on his tackling and conditioning, and are concerned with his tendency to play soft against the run.

Given Gamble's ability to play so many positions, he sounds like the type of player Steelers' head coach Bill Cowher is usually fond of. However, the Steelers are slotted to pick too early to grab Gamble, so barring a trade down it doesn't appear that the NFL's latest "Slash" will be united with the coach who looks like the lovechild of Al Bundy and Sgt. Slaughter. Look for Gamble to fall to into the late teens, where the Bengals and Saints could be looking for corner help. Gamble could start if he plays for a team that is desperate for a starter this season, but he won't have much fantasy value as a rookie.

Sean Jones, Georgia
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 212 Likely Draft Position: Late-First Round to Early-Second Round Possible Destinations: Colts, Chiefs, Patriots NFL Comparison: Sammy Knight

Jones was a star quarterback in high school, but quickly made the switch to safety at Georgia. He was considered second-round material just a couple weeks ago, but his stock is on the rise with NFL scouts. A hard-hitting tackler with adequate speed, the former Bulldog is best suited to play in a zone defense, as he had some trouble in man-to-man situations in college. Jones set the school record for most blocked kicks with four during his collegiate career, breaking the record that had been shared by Kendrell Bell, Boss Bailey, and Corrie Collier. Jones isn't the least bit afraid to step up against the run, as his 100-plus tackles last season shows.

There's a chance that Shawnte Spencer could be picked before Jones, but that's only if the cornerback run starts early and a team such as the Eagles feels they have no choice but to reach for a corner. The Colts need help in the secondary, and some insiders believe that head coach Tony Dungy has his eye on Jones. The Patriots would reportedly like to trade up to get Taylor, but they could go with Jones late in the first round if the Miami safety goes early. Playing for either defensive guru would be great for Jones. Whether he starts during his rookie season will depend on where he ends up and whether he proves he can hold his own in man-to-man coverage. Even if the doesn't start right away, teams should utilize his kick blocking ability on special teams.

Other defensive backs to watch: Shawnte Spencer (Pittsburgh), Ricardo Colclough (Tusculum), Ahmad Carrol (Arkansas), Will Poole (USC), Matt Ware (UCLA), Derrick Strait (Oklahoma), Robert Sanders (Iowa).

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

That touchdown info is wrong about Fitzgerald. He did score a TD against Miami. It was a garbage TD though.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Here's my wishful thinking....

Casserly should call up the Jags, and see if they will take Bradford for Darius. If they will, we then should draft Mike Williams with the number 10 pick, giving us two of the biggest, best young recievers in the NFL.

I think that Williams will be better than Terell Owens in five years. He or Roy Williams will be the best reciever out of this great recieving crop.

15. Chump

Chump Member

it's gonna be Hall

16. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

We don't need to trade up, we should just take DeAngelo Hall.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Hey I wouldn't mind that either. Who could stop Dre and Mike on the field at the same time. We would be like the AFC version of the Rams.

18. Rockets34Legend

Well, NFL.com has their recent mock draft and here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/7260267

Rivers, D.J. Williams jump up in mock draft

April 16, 2004) -- With nine days to go to the annual NFL draft, lots of things can and will happen. I will post my final mock draft two days before the draft, but here's my midterm look at the draft. There are changes from my April 4 opening draft.

There have been free-agent signings since the first week of April, so some team needs have changed. I will not factor in trade rumors in this version.

1. SAN DIEGO -- ELI MANNING, QB. It's the Chargers' responsibility to see what the value of the first pick is no matter what they want to do. They would be wise to not ask for the sky from the Giants to move up because New York has options at the fourth spot to include Roethlisberger, Rivers and maybe even Gallery. But I still look for the Chargers to trade out of this spot. Manning is still the top choice in this draft.

2. OAKLAND -- ROBERT GALLERY, LT. It might not be Oakland but it sure looks like Gallery in the second spot. The guy should be a 10-year starter from Day 1, and that makes him a very smart and safe pick. Washington and Cleveland are not the only teams that want Gallery. I expect another team to make a late push for the spot.

3. ARIZONA -- LARRY FITZGERALD, WR. The Cardinals have lots of needs but Dennis Green will utilize the three-receiver package with Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Bryant Johnson, which will make them very dangerous. The Cards could move down a few spots and still get a great receiver. There is talk out of Oakland they will take a wide receiver at No. 2. I don't believe that will happen but if it did, Arizona would have lots of phone calls for Gallery.

4. N.Y. GIANTS -- BEN ROETHLISBERGER, QB. If I were the Giants, I would stay right here and take Big Ben. I would still have my second-round pick to use for a left tackle, Roethlisberger would cost a few million less than Manning and I would be able to keep Kerry Collins around for another year until Ben was ready.

5. WASHINGTON -- KELLEN WINSLOW, TE. The Redskins have more serious needs on the defensive line and they have very few draft picks. With players like Vince Wilfork, Sean Taylor and Tommie Harris still available, I would drop down a few spots and at least pick up a third-round pick. But if they stay here they will not make a bad selection.

6. DETROIT -- STEVEN JACKSON, RB. There are plenty of people who think it's too early to take Jackson but not many of them have been starved for a quality running back as long as Detroit. Moving down a few spots makes some sense but I wouldn't go down too far with New England sitting in the first round with two picks and a need at running back. Jackson could touch the ball 30 times a game, and there aren't many players in this draft you can say that about.

7. CLEVELAND -- DEANGELO HALL, CB. Let's say the Browns don't move up for Gallery, Kellen Winslow is gone and they can't get someone to move down with, then Hall is a great fit. Cornerback is their second need in this draft. Hall is the top corner and an excellent return man. He can replace Dennis Northcutt as the returner and instantly make the secondary better.

8. ATLANTA -- MIKE WILLIAMS, WR. There should be serious conversations about moving down in this draft for every team interested in a wide receiver. I could make a case for Sean Taylor at this spot for Atlanta but Rich McKay has known Mike Williams for a very long time, and the idea of Michael Vick dropping back with Peerless Price and Williams running down the field is too tempting.

9. JACKSONVILLE -- ROY WILLIAMS, WR. Apparently the Jaguars have talked about putting a package together to go up for Larry Fitzgerald. Why? Roy Williams or any other receiver named Williams will be a tremendous addition. The other possible choice here is DE Kenechi Udeze.

10. HOUSTON -- SEAN TAYLOR. Hard to believe Taylor could last this long, but it is possible because he is a safety. GM Charley Casserly knows there are teams interested in his spot for a shot at QB Philip Rivers and will entertain all trade talks. He has pulled the trigger to move many times in the past and could move down three spots and still get a top need met.

11. PITTSBURGH -- PHILIP RIVERS, QB. The Steelers might have to swap spots with the Texans when Houston is on the clock to make sure they get Rivers. Maddox can stay for one more year like Kitna did in Cincinnati. If they decide to roll the dice instead and miss, then CB Dunta Robinson is still on the board.

12. N.Y. JETS -- D.J. WILLIAMS, LB. This is a lean year for outside linebackers. Williams made a good impression when he visited the Jets. His teammate, Jonathan Vilma, is a candidate for this spot, as is CB Robinson. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets try and move down a few spots.

13. BUFFALO -- KENECHI UDEZE, DE. I do think the Bills will try and get QB Rivers, but if the price is too high and they think they can get a quality receiver in the second round, then Kenechi is a great value at this point and answers a long-standing problem with rushing the passer.

14. CHICAGO -- VINCE WILFORK, DT. Here's a team that didn't have to move at all to get a tremendous player at their No. 1 need. Wilfork has slipped past Tommie Harris in the opinion of a number of defensive coaches' minds. Also keep in mind Lovie Smith knows better than anyone how important it is to have a Warren Sapp-type tackle in his defensive package. Vince's nickname is "Little Sapp."

15. TAMPA BAY -- WILL SMITH, DE. The Bucs would have liked Mike Williams or Roy Williams to fall to them. They need a tall linebacker like Karlos Dansby and they might move down in an attempt to pick up an extra first-day pick. They lost their second-round pick in the Gruden deal. If they stay, Smith will replace Greg Spires and start from Day 1. With Rice getting double-teamed and McFarland being disruptive inside, Smith could have a big rookie year.

16. SAN FRANCISCO -- REGGIE WILLIAMS, WR. The 49ers have lost Terrell Owens and Tai Streets and must get help at WR early in this draft. Dennis Erickson has watched Reggie Williams for his whole college career.

17. DENVER -- TOMMIE HARRIS, DT. Denver moved up in a trade with Cincinnati and might want to move up again but RB Jackson is already gone. Staying put and taking a very athletic defensive tackle is a good idea. They have signed some older veteran defensive linemen, but Harris can help long term. OLB Dansby would be a nice fit but Harris is too good to pass up.

18. NEW ORLEANS -- JONATHAN VILMA, LB. If CB Robinson is still on the board there would be some very serious discussions. MLB and CB are the Saints' top two needs. Saints head coach Jim Haslett is a former NFL linebacker and knows he needs Vilma.

19. MINNESOTA -- VERNON CAREY, OG. The Vikings would like to take a defensive end here but the best two are gone. Carey will help for a long time. Don't forget: Mike Tice is a former line coach. The Vikings are money conscious and might try to move down from this spot to save some money.

20. MIAMI -- SHAWN ANDREWS, OT. I haven't come off this pick from my first mock draft but I have heard grumbling about Andrews as a first-round pick from a number of coaches and personnel people. Offensive line is the Dolphins' biggest need. Miami can probably move down and still get Andrews. The question is: Does anyone want to move up to this spot? The answer might be a team that wants to jump ahead of New England and Dallas to grab a running back. Or maybe it's Dallas to just get ahead of the Pats.

21. NEW ENGLAND -- MARCUS TUBBS, DT. The Pats have two picks in this round. Even though they signed Keith Traylor to replace Ted Washington at nose tackle, Tubbs gives them a 6-4, 320-pound guy who can run a 40 in 5.05 and lets them go from a 3-4 to a 4-3 anytime they want to. Tubbs has moved ahead of Harris on some draft boards at DT.

22. DALLAS -- KEVIN JONES, RB. Dallas was correct to sit and wait for a running back. The Cowboys will get their choice here, and Kevin Jones can do many of the things Curtis Martin did for Parcells when he was playing for the Patriots and Jets. The Cowboys could look long and hard here at OG Justin Smiley, who would be a great replacement for Larry Allen and is Parcells' kind of player.

23. SEATTLE -- RANDY STARKS, DT. Seattle needs a defensive tackle in the worst way. There might be some discussion about Donnell Washington but Starks should win the battle in the war room.

24. CINCINNATI -- DUNTA ROBINSON, CB. The Bengals did a pre-draft deal and acquired Deltha O'Neil and a fourth-round pick to move from 17 to 24. They might still get a chance for a quality corner like Robinson if the Jets pass. If not, they will grab Chris Gamble, which will make the "Gamble" of moving down worth it.

25. GREEN BAY -- MICHAEL CLAYTON, WR. My first mock draft had QB Philip Rivers headed to Green Bay, but he's long gone now. From what I hear, the Packers are not crazy about J.P. Losman. Clayton or Lee Evans is a good value pick at this point. Their biggest need is defensive end, and they might want to move down for someone like DE Antwan Odom.

26. ST. LOUIS -- CHRIS GAMBLE, CB. Will Poole ran better at his April 16 workout and weighed nine pounds more than he did a month ago. His 40 time ranged from 4.53 to 4.61, according to scouts at the workout. There will be a case made for Poole. The Rams would rather not reach for Poole or DE Odom at this point. With a week to go, things could change for Gamble and Poole.

27. TENNESSEE -- DARNELL DOCKETT, DT. The Titans lost two starting defensive linemen in free agency and must replace them. Talk of them moving up in the draft might be unrealistic with their salary-cap woes. Dockett is a start at repairing their personnel issues.

28. PHILADELPHIA -- JUSTIN SMILEY, OG/OT. The Eagles could consider an OLB like Dansby, who could line up over the tight end. CB Derrick Strait is another possibility, but in the end Smiley is a good choice for this team. He is considered the second-best offensive lineman by many teams.

29. INDIANAPOLIS -- KARLOS DANSBY, LB. The Colts could consider CBs Strait or Ahmed Carroll here, or look to help the defensive line. But Dansby would be the highest-rated player on their board and would be a great replacement for Marcus Washington.

30. KANSAS CITY -- LEE EVANS, WR. The Chiefs would have preferred WR Clayton at this spot but he's gone. Evans is the next-best receiver on the board, and he can really run. There could be some sentiment for a corner here, but that will have to wait. Unfortunately, by the time they pick late in the second round there might be little left to pick from.

31. CAROLINA -- BEN TROUPE, TE. The Panthers need secondary help. Carroll and Strait are still on the board, but Troupe is too good to resist if he's still on the board. In the second round, the Panthers will have to move up to get a quality corner to replace Reggie Howard, who was lost in free agency.

32. NEW ENGLAND -- CHRIS PERRY, RB. The Patriots were wise to wait until their second first-round pick for a running back. Now they can choose between Perry and Greg Jones. They will answer their offensive line issues with their two second-round picks.

Others who will get first-round consideration are C Jake Grove, OG Chris Snee, RB Greg Jones, CB Ahmed Carroll, DE Jason Babin, CB Derrick Strait, QB J.P. Losman, DE Antwan Odom, CB Will Poole.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

No way he lasts that long. Why would someone take Hall over Taylor?

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

It looks more and more like we're going to trade down. Manning and Roethlisberger are both likely going to be taken before us, which leaves Rivers as trade bait for the 3rd team who needs a QB. Since Pittsburg is likely going to pick Rivers with the 11th pick.

I would love for us to trade down and get extra picks. There's just no one at #10 who's head and shoulders above who'll be available later. Unless, of course, one of the top prospects like Taylor or Winslow falls.