1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Larry Sanders be on Rockets Radar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why did this kid pull out of workout to Memphis a lottery team. That is really a bad decision unless he was convinced to already go earlier or he was convinced that memphis would never take him so early and only wanted to look at him as one of their later picks. Either way Sanders has been my pick for the Rockets since they finished the season. ANd it hasn't dwindled. This kid has shown more in workouts against any big not name favors, Cousins.

LINK

"Another day. Another NBA draft prospect pulls out of a Memphis workout.

The Griz held a session this morning featuring forwards but Virginia Commonwealth's Larry Sanders was the latest candidate for the 12th pick to pull out.

Sanders, 6-10, is a long, athletic player with very good rebounding ability. He also finishes strong around the rim despite a lack of post moves. Sanders' basketball IQ is high, which makes him a good passer.

That's why the Griz are interested. So why did Sanders inform the Griz late Tuesday that he wouldn't attend their workout?

Word on the street is that Sanders strongly believes that he has a chance to go to one or two teams ahead of Memphis. Reportedly, Sanders is convinced that he'll go no later than 15 to Milwaukee. In fact, he might have a promise from Milwaukee."

Here is what one reporter had to say after his Toronto Workout...

On the other hand,the stand-out player to me yesterday was Larry Sanders. Many don't know about this kid but like Hickson a few years back, I wouldn't be surprised to see him creep up draft boards and have an immediate impact in the league. He's even longer than I remembered, was all over the court in drills, rebounding the ball, dunking put-backs, and is starting to show a solid face-up game as well, something we touch on in my interview with him below. He's raw, but I'd argue more polished than Udoh or Orton, and has more upside actually than Aldrich.

Some after workout video shows how this kid has a good head on his shoulders and seems to be humble too.

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=raptors&videoId=teams/raptors/2010/06/03/RWEB1006003SANDERS-1337022" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=raptors&videoId=teams/raptors/2010/06/03/RWEB1006003SANDERS-1337022" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

IMO Sanders has two reasons why he was so far under the radar...

1. Larry Sanders was 6'2" as a sophomore in high school and didn't start playing until after he started to grow and the coach begged him to come out for the team. So he is still is adjusting to his growth...

2. He had a young new coach who had know clue how to develop a big and never really liked the kid and wanted Sanders to play a specific type of defense instead of utilizing his God given talents... so thought saw Sanders actually digress over the course of the season except in the CAA tournament where he had some great performance... ( I should know I watched them).

I think this kid will contribute defensively right away and offensively has a lot more to offer than some expect. Also as for his weight he weighed 230 last summer and again playing for a small coach didn't have the type of program to show him how to keep that weight. He will strengthen immensely in the Rockets organization. Already he looks much more chiseled than he did in the Caa tournament. I would go so far as to say he will be better than Jordan hill... Yes he has the exact same height with 5 more inches of wingspan and reach and more athleticism and speed and a passion for the game that not many have.

Any way Utah brought him in also which is strange considering they are picking much earlier... I thought Cole Aldrich was a good bet for them but now I am afraid they might take him. Maybe that's the promise.

Oh did I mention Wolves workout Whiteside and Pittman and then Draft Express moves Larry Sanders from the Spurs 20th pick to the Wolves 16th pick. There is no record of the Wolves ever working out Sanders yet Givony wouldn't make such a drastic prediction at this late date unless he had some inside skinny. Maybe the skinny is Rockets and Milwaukee are looking hard at him.

#1 Old Man Rock, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Don't we need someone who can contribute substantial minutes right away? Either a backup center like Aldrich or a NBA ready wing...

1 person likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EZEYnTnYKrA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EZEYnTnYKrA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

4. Old Man Rock

Yes but who is to say Sanders can't. I know it's only workouts but he has already out shined both Udoh and Aldrich. At least that's what reporters say. He has more upside than both is more athletic than both and has much more length than both.

I personally believe he will be better than both. I would say Aldrich would contribute right away more quickly. But this kid is smart and appears to be eager to learn. And on a Rockets team that really tries to help Rookies I think by the end of the season he could be the better player.

5. Egghead

Egghead Member

I read somewhere Scott Skiles took him out to dinner last night, its probably a promise from the Bucks.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He's definitely a better interviewer than Whiteside and Cousins that's for sure.

7. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

This "obsession" of yours for Larry Sanders is starting to resemble the one you had on V-Span(and JVG's coaching). Hopefully this time it ends better. ;)

However, I rather like Sanders too. I have some doubts about his position in the NBA, though.
    Can he defend perimeter 4's?
    Is he/will he be big and strong enough to defend centers?
    Can he develop a nba caliber offensive game?

His reach is freakish and has good athleticism so on those alone he is very intriguing prospect.
    He also doesn't seem to have as much questionmarks surrounding him as Whiteside, the other freakish athlete.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey has already stated otherwise. He doesn't believe the 14th pick will contribute much next season. So a developmental player for Adelman ala Peja/KMart is very likely here.

Of course, that's why Morey's working so hard to move up the draft to get an impact player. But if he can't move up and stays at 14, expect no one who'll impact next year.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

He seems fearless, aggressive, sharp, willing and anxious to learn.

It's so hard to decide who we should pick, so many (potentially) good players, I can talk myself into liking just about any of them.

10. Old Man Rock

You trash me and then you agree with me. Okay I edited my statement because I see you winked.

You are absolutely correct I liked Vspan. I thought he deserved a shot. I didn't think he was a future all star but I thought he could be a high energy player that would eventually be better than Alston. I don't believe JVG ever gave him a chance. Vspan showed signs of talent but then got yanked. Honestly I think JVG resented CD's choice. Later that summer Tony Parker told Popovich they need to sign this guy. I will acknowledge I could be wrong but I still feel Vspan could have been a legitimate contributor to the team.

If you check my record I also picked the Rockets to draft Nicolas Batum. Instead they went with Greene but I would argue Batum will have the longer career. His percentages are better and plays much better Defense on a better team. And both have turned out much better than some earlier picks. I could go on about some other picks but I have no evidence so I won't.

In the end it is just my opinion and you know what they about those things, ;) but unless we move up or someone drops I want Larry Sanders at the 14th.

#10 Old Man Rock, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmmm. I was hoping Morey could steal him at the top of the 2nd round. Oh well.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

IMO given that both Whiteside and Sanders are pretty much projects, I would take Whiteside over him just because of his higher ceiling...

But this is just my opinion...

--RB

13. SuraGotMadHops

We'd be lucky to just get this Larry Sanders

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not to derail the thread however a leaked photo showed Vspan's horrible practice performance...something lik 0-12 shots. Got to prove it in practice first before you can show it in games.

15. Old Man Rock

Whiteside is plummeting on the draft boards. His workouts or average. He interviews poorly and he isn't the brightest kid. Can you say Eddie Griffen (May he Rest in Peace) with more size and less talent and also some baggage.

16. escadawg

escadawg Member

I like this GUY!! Well spoken and fluid. Means he can learn the game, great vibe.

I mean, I like Jordan Hill, but I feel from his interviews that's he's country bumpkin. Larry Sanders seems like he would fit right in with a Luis and Yao conversationally.

17. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

[​IMG]

Sanders is on a lot of teams radar.

18. Old Man Rock

Not to derail... Sounds like that is ecxactly your intention. This a thread about someone making a promise to Larry Sanders and I speculating and also hoping it may be the rockets.

Can you say something about that. Like you hate the pick, you like it, or you think I am talking about the cable show guy. Something anything about the thread please...

19. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Sorry, didn't mean to offend or derail your thread. I just noticed you have posted a lot on this kid and had to try to be funny. ;)

20. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Agreed, bigtime.
    Interview showed a lot of confidence.. felt more natural to hear than others. Seems like an eager, resilient, high energy guy. Definitely like him over Whiteside.