1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Pathetic performance to cap off a really disappointing season.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rick Barnes either needs to go or he needs to hire an assistant that does all of the coaching so he can just concentrate on recruiting and be a head coach in name only.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

This year UT started at the top 10, then started to lose almost every game. That coach does not have any offensive plan for a long time, but still can keep his job. Do not know why.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody consistently does less with more talent than Rick Barnes.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hopefully this gets Rick Barnes fired...8 seasons too late though

6. Bob Barker 007

Coaches I want to replace Rick Barnes:

Archie Miller, Dayton
    Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
    Larry Krystkowiak, Utah

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Source: Texas AD Patterson wants Barnes to make changes

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

As an extremely frustrated UT basketball fan to say the least I could go with this as a one year leash, though I think he can't be rehabbed. Bring in an offensive coordinator and have Rick concentrate on recruiting and defense. Let Rick know he will be replaced even at midseason if the offense does not do better. The only positive about the season is that the players seemed to have decent chemistry and never quit trying hard.

My advice to Rick would be to recruit some pure shooters and scorers and then try to coach up their defense a bit. Taking hard working guys who don't have a clue about shooting or offense like Holland and trying to teach them to shoot will not do it or save your job.

Was AJ Abrahms the last UT player who could shoot the three?

9. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Horns247">@Horns247</a>: Per <a href="https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247">@jerrymeyer247</a>, Rick Barnes is expected to step down as Texas' head coach: <a href="http://t.co/4r2yKZf6yv">http://t.co/4r2yKZf6yv</a> <a href="http://t.co/PsB27EWRIG">pic.twitter.com/PsB27EWRIG</a></p>&mdash; Burnt Orange Nation (@BON_SBNation) <a href="https://twitter.com/BON_SBNation/status/581525758914523136">March 27, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Just a great news.

11. Bob Barker 007

Coaches I want to replace Rick Barnes:

Archie Miller, Dayton
    Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
    Larry Krystkowiak, Utah

I'm reposting this for everyone to see. Discuss.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Heard rumors that Alabama is about to throw the bank at Gregg Marshall but he's unlikely to leave Wichita.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to do that and show Alabama we mean business

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I always thought it was more likely Barnes left UT for a better basketball school, but that opinion has changed over the last 5 years.

There is simply a fundamental flaw in the ways he recruits. Always athletes, rarely shooters who stick around. Our offense is a struggle every year, despite ofter having 1st round NBA talent.

No trips to the sweet 16, and only 2 trips out of the first round since 08. At a school with our resources that simply isn't good enough

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Hope they hire someone better than Barnes otherwise it'll have been a complete waste of time firing the guy. Even if Barnes comes up short year after year, if they get someone who isn't able to at least get some a couple of the top recruits every other year or so, it'll have been a waste to fire Barnes.

I really hope Patterson knows what he's doing.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

He was the gm who hired rudy t, got otis thorpe, kenny smith, maxwell and drafted Horry.
    Then he did well at portland.
    He should do well since basketball is his strength

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

With all do respect to him, this is college. Not the NBA.

So far, I don't even like the decision of Charlie Strong. Too early to judge Strong since he's only had one season, but I'm disappointed that was the best he could get.

I just hope the person he hires to replace Barnes is a proven head coach.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I hope so too.
    1. They need to make a splash if we want a half a billion dollars stadium to replace the erwin center.
    2. Tired of UT talent being good in the nba and being average in college

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

YOU STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ARCHIE...HES OURS! :mad:

20. tinman

Supporting Member

http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com...ll-release-mens-basketball-coach-rick-barnes/ Texas have decided to release men’s basketball coach Rick Barnes, the winningest coach in school history, a source told the American-Statesman on Saturday.

The high-level source, who is familiar with the situation, said school officials reached their final decision Saturday and plan on making an announcement either Sunday or Monday.

It’s unknown what has been communicated to Barnes, who has not returned messages left by the Statesman.

Texas hopes to hire Barnes’ successor “within a week,” the source said. It’s not clear whether Texas Men’s Athletic Director Steve Patterson would handle the search by himself or utilize a search firm, like the school did before hiring Patterson as the AD and football coach Charlie Strong.