1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban is right on the Mark!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xiki, Jun 17, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

www.dallasnews.com/sharedcohntent/d...mavs/stories/061703dnspofinalsfolo.3edff.html

Enter the Mavericks, who are expected to make a pitch with their dollars for an inside presence to complement all those shooters. It could be on-the-mend Alonzo Mourning, or P.J. Brown or even Karl Malone.

Cuban seeks ways to improve
    Western Conference is expected to be even tougher next season
    06/17/2003
    By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News
    The recent TV viewing habits of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban combined forward thinking and masochism.
    He watched San Antonio's victory in the NBA Finals against New Jersey, looking for insight as to how his team could achieve the same thing.
    In the process, Cuban couldn't help but recall the Western Conference finals and how history might have been different. The Mavericks lost Dirk Nowitzki in Game 3 and a 13-point lead in the fourth quarter of Game 6.
    "It was painful to watch," Cuban said in an e-mail Monday. "The only thing I take away is that we let a golden opportunity slip away. Some things went our way, and went against us during the playoffs, but it was inches away and we let it slip away."

Louis DeLuca / DMN
    Mark Cuban ... not willing to concede anything to anybody, not even the reigning champions.
    Cuban said that the Mavericks "were so close," and that human nature led him to "wonder 'what if.' "
    He also understands that rehashing near misses is not necessarily the best way to improve for next season.
    Most of the basketball world, at least, thinks the Mavericks are going to have to get better just to retain their status as a 60-win club.
    San Antonio has enough cap room to add a Jason Kidd or a Jermaine O'Neal or two top second-tier free agents, whatever they need. Even without signing a single free agent, the Spurs figure to be better just because young players like Tony Parker, Stephen Jackson, Manu Ginobili and Speedy Claxton are all a year older.
    They still have 7-foot Tim Duncan, right now the NBA's most dominant all-around player. They command a respect that they were never given after winning the 1999 title.
    "They went through the best conference and then won the championship," New Jersey's Richard Jefferson said after Sunday's clinching Game 6 victory. "It doesn't matter the amount of credit that I give them; they won the championship."
    Nor are the Spurs alone. Shaquille O'Neal has hired a Marine turned fitness trainer to sculpt that 355-pound frame, a sign of seriousness lacking in previous summers.
    Enter the Mavericks, who are expected to make a pitch with their dollars for an inside presence to complement all those shooters. It could be on-the-mend Alonzo Mourning, or P.J. Brown or even Karl Malone.
    At least that's what the conventional wisdom says, especially after Duncan and the retiring David Robinson dominated New Jersey inside.
    Cuban had a different perspective from watching the series.
    "If the Nets had a stronger outside shooting presence, it would have been a whole different series," Cuban said. "And although Duncan was amazing in the post, it was the 3-point shooting of [Steve] Kerr and Jackson that put them over the top. If the Lakers had a 3-point shooting presence, they might have beaten the Spurs.
    "Our priority is to improve as a team. The only certainty we can bet on is that conventional wisdom never is."
    Nor is Cuban willing to concede anything to anybody, not even the reigning champions.
    "I think when we start the season, the West will be just as wide open as it was last year," Cuban said. "It will be interesting to see if the Spurs keep all their free agents, as well as who they bring in.
    "Remember, most big-time free agents don't move with cap room, they move with sign-and-trades. So it will be a very interesting summer."

2. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

OH PLEASE tell me they will take Malone!! I can't wait to hear Dallas fans whine about him when his old-broke-a$$ flops around on the court taking possesions away from Dirk and Finley--I hate Dallas with a passion, give me one more good reason to dislike them even more!

Bacon

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That wouldn't be 'the conventional wisdom' (which was what I thought I had put in bold. My bad.

Malone should stay in Utah. If he leaves I hope he goes to Dallas (it would hurt Mavs, IMO).

4. striker

striker Member

A big advantage of Nellie getting Malone is that he already knows how to flop and won't need the hours of instruction it's taken Dirk, Nash, and Najera.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope they get Mourning. They already have Dirk so they don't need another power forward. Where they are weak is at center. Mourning is a gamble -- if he's healthy, it's a great pick-up; if he's not, they're stuck with Bradley again. I think he's worth the gamble if he'll agree to a relatively short (2 or 3 years) midlevel contract.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm not sure what the Lakers are planning, but I can see them getting Malone or Kidd way below market value. Ought to be interesting.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Malone maybe. No Kidding.