1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: "Loser: Houston Rockets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is a good and balanced take on where the Rockets stand, I think.

http://grantland.com/features/2014-...-and-losers-houston-rockets-chandler-parsons/

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only because we treaded water as a Top 5 team in the West.

Almost hit a home run.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well no s***.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

As I've said before...

I wouldn't be upset we didn't match Parsons if we went out and used the 17m in cap space we had to fill out our roster or perhaps get a bang or bust player (Lance Stephenson) but instead we signed Ariza and a bunch of randos so essentially that cap space we had went to waste.

Looking back, knowing we would have signed nobody of use, I would have given my left nut to match Parsons.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Maybe I'm in the minority but the only time Zach Lowe's article gets interesting is when he's dissecting games.

Right because getting almost $40 million more than any other team didn't play into decision making :rolleyes:

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

"Ariza isn’t an off-the-bounce creator on Parsons’s level, but he’s a better 3-point shooter and in a different stratosphere as a defender."

Wow.

7. steddinotayto

B-b-b-but that doesn't mean a lick because the last thing the Rockets really needed was a wing defender /sarcasm

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

A good and balanced take that we have already seen and read on clutchfans a hundred times.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Ariza is a much better defender. dont see anything wgon with that statement

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I don't think the article said it didn't.

Ariza is on another level defensively. I'm hoping that his 3 point shooting stays consistent, but we'll see.

11. Major

Major Member

Did they really tread water? They lost 3 of their top 7 rotation players. Even if you believe Ariza/Parsons is a wash, they lost a lot of depth and matchup flexibility (note how the entire complexion of the Portland series changed when Asik was in there).

12. James88

James88 Member

Cleveland biggest winner. Rockets biggest loser. Sherlock Holmes level deduction there.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Still hurts to read about it.

14. steddinotayto

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and letting my own indifferent feelings toward Lowe get the best of me but the framing of the last two paragraphs left me, the reader, into believing that Bosh didn't want to play with Harden and Howard because of their personalities. Never did it say anything about the last-minute hail mary pass that Riley threw for 5 years and $125 million

Ultraserious professionalism? We got hall of famers who slept with underage girls, who's gotten arrested by the police, who wore wedding dresses, etc. and now these guys are concerned over Howard's off-court child-like mannerisms and Harden's penchant for strippers? By all accounts, Patrick Ewing and Mutombo lived in Atlanta's strip clubs back in the day.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

His comment on Harden & Howards likability is most likley taken from 2nd or 3rd hand sources. Alot of people HAD a ton of beef with Howard before last year for a variety of reasons, but I'm not sure how much of that is coming from players.

Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Chandler Parsons, James Harden, and yes.... even Kobe Bryant all recruited Dwight Howard last year. Why would they recruit him if they hated playing with him that much?? If James Harden hit free agency a week ago and was still on the market, how much would players around the league like him now? Would any of them actively recruit him? If you recruit a player, isn't that kind of the same thing as saying...."Hey, I WANT to play with you"????

Harden has a historically bad season defensively that was catapulted mostly from fans in Houston mind you. The tireless YouTube video compilations that started from people on this site made their way into the media limelight and became a running joke around the league. Good work Clutchfans

(honestly... if the media attention gets him to notice & improve, I'm fine with that.)

What I'm getting at is Zach is connected somewhat in the league, and has a great perspective when writing about basketball & moves made in the front office, but he's not someone that can speak on behalf of the players themselves. Until an actual current or former players that really are connected in that player circle start speaking up against both of these guys, I'm going to assume that Zach & co. are getting caught up into fan & media heresay more than getting actual player confessionals.

16. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

He never said $40 million didn't matter...I think he was just supporting his claim about the undercurrent or perception around the league of the Howard/Harden duo not being professional or whatnot. Sure, it's speculation, but it's something to consider and could be a real issue if it's true.

I don't really believe it though...even if howard and harden wore clown pajamas to practice everyday, I'm sure most players in the league would want to play with them over what's left in miami at the moment.

17. steddinotayto

I'll say that Lowe is the lone wolf among ESPN employees that I can still read with some excitement though that's started to get questionable this summer. That being said, unless he's really connected to what's been going on I don't see why he needs to try and spin hearsay material into his articles. He could have easily cut down his take on the Rockets by 50% if he just said "The Rockets reportedly had a done deal with Bosh but Miami came in with max offer with a 5th year that Bosh couldn't pass up" or something like that.

My level for dissatisfaction with Lowe is moderate and God help me if it ever get to DD's feelings for Trevor Ariza.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are still moves to come. We have flexibility. What matters where we are at next year's playoffs.

Other than Asik, what did we lose? That pick we got is going to be huge. Its similar to the one that got us Harden.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get that there is concern about Howard's jokiness (which he has admitted needs to be toned down) and Harden's defense (which, when it is bad is really, bad). But Howard didn't dither last year. He actually made up his mind on a nice timetable. Sure, his exit from Orlando was bonkers, but I thought Howard showed maturity with how he handled last year.

I thought it a fair piece. It isn't the end of the world for the Rockets. I hated to see Parsons go, but I think Ariza is a great system fit and in that sense it is a wash or slight improvement (due to defense and personal agenda -- Ariza knows who he is and is fine being a 3rd or 4th or 5th wheel).

Losing Asik is no biggie was they weren't getting much out of him last season anyway. Lin, on the other hand, is a huge disappointment to me because he never stepped it up and the team had to pay to get another squad to take him. I don't know if it is him, McHale, Harden, or what. But Lin really regressed last year.

All in all, I get the doom and gloom on the board. And I definitely don't fault posters who have doubted Morey's and Les' plans all along having their moment of vindication (for now), but I just don't see this as so bad.

Sure the team could have traded Parsons this year, but how much would a team pay for him if Parsons wouldn't commit to resigning with them? Yeah, he would make a great addition to a package but the receiving team would then have to deal with the fact Fegan was gonna pursue max money and Parsons was gonna take it. What are you gonna pay for a 1-year rental for Chandler Parsons?

The worst thing is missing out of system fits like maybe McRoberts or Hawes. I don't know if those guys would have come to the Rockets anyway, but those are the guys who round out championship squads. The Rox don't need a 3rd star. They need Howard and especially Harden to take their games and preparation to another level.

And the Rockets are not locked into a set squad. They have the ability to improve this team, more than most contenders do.

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

We no loser! We just signed the Ray Lewis With Basketball!