1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2011 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bluffkin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

UPDATE: Thread history...
    - <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6097308#post6097308">NFL Draft Starts...</a>
    - <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6097504#post6097504">Houston Texans #11 pick on the clock...</a>
    - <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6097539#post6097539">Houston Texans select J.J. Watt</a>
    <HR>
    I'm bored b/c the Rockets are sucking and the Texans just came off of a disappointing season so I'm deciding to do a mock draft!

Round 1. Julio Jones WR - i would pick Jones b/c he is probably the best player left. I know what you are thinking we dont need offense but Von Miller will probably be picked way before because i think he will do great at the combine and Jones will make our offense alot better and take of pressure from Dre.

Round 2. Aaron Williams CB - Need help in the secondary and would be a steal if he fell to us in the 2nd.

Round 3. Kendrick Ellis NT - we really need a Nt to fill up the hole in a 3-4 defence plus.

Round 3(from D.Rob).Casey Mattews - Linebacker depth and did I mention his brother is Clay.

I would be happy if the draft went kinda like this.

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

sorry wrong forum this is just my 2nd thread

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your opinion is also sorry. ;) They definitely won't be drafting a wide receiver in the first round. If an unexpectedly good WR is available, they will trade down.

4. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Probably trade down cause I dont think anyone who fits a need will be available to us. Hopefully can move down in the first and then up in the 2nd. Hopefully they draft a NT in round 1 and then a safety in round 2 and a CB or LB in round 3 (whichever one we cant get via FA).

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Patrick Peterson is probably out of the question. =/

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we would have to cut someone, can only have one jersey with J.Jones

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Jacoby won't be a Texan if we get Julio and Jacoby is a Free Agent. ;)

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I like you bluffkin. :)

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Reminds me alot of Dre.

10. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

It would form one of the best, if not the best receiving corps in the NFL...Although it's a sexy pick...it's not the right one for the Texans

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We need a rush OLB for the 3/4. We need a CB, NT and FS.

But the draft is before FA this year so you can still go "best available" in the draft and then direct your FA efforts at the spots you missed.

At 11 you probably won't get: Fairley, Bowers, Peterson, AJ Green (who I would take if he were there) and Marcell Dareus. Miller is doubtful but possible, depending on if Gabbert goes or if someone looks like a franchise Left OT at the combine. Same for Amukamara.

So that probably means they pick between:

OLB's: Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Akeem Ayers, Robert Quinn
    CB's: Brandon Harris

So as of January 27th I'll guess:

1.Aldon Smith, DE/OLB Missouri

2.Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina

3.Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

And you know in the 4th : D.J. Williams, TE, Arkansas.

You can book that. (He is very very good though) As a homer I very intrigued with Sam Acho here.

NT will be the #1 FA target, There are a lot of good ones available.

#11 Dubious, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Von Miller seems to be skyrocketing up the boards, good and bad news for the Texans. He would have been PERFECT for the 3-4 but it also pushes someone else down a notch. Also creates an interesting situation if a few QBs fall to our spot, if a QB desperate team wants a QB then this could be an opportunity to move down and pick up some nice high 2nd and 3rd round picks. Minnesota, Miami, Jax and Seattle come to mind, could start a nice bidding war between the clubs.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Agreed, and with the top 6 'exciting' names off the board for us trading down seems like a great plan.

Unfortunately when I looked at the team/draft picks, only NE is dealing from a position of excess and I don't think they need a QB.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I say draft Julio Jones if he is ther

I am fine with Barwin and Cushing at OLB, I don't think we have to go there with the first pick

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

This is the year they should package those extra picks and move up to get top tier talent if the rookie pay scale is straightened out.

Knowing Bill Belichick, that was the plan all along.....

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Funny, someone told me the Texans would draft that kid from A&M, but I don't see you guys mentioning his name here. :eek:

You guys might know more than my source.

17. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

They were saying that Cushing and DeMeco were going to be the ILB and Barwin and someone else, either free agent or draft, would be OLBs.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think it would be idiotic to not play Cushing at OLB and a complete waste

they see what Clay Matthews has done this season, how could you not put Cushing in the same position?

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Von Miller has been mentioned more than once in this thread, Swoly.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Casey Matthews apparently looked crappy at senior bowl practices...I wonder what the odds of him magically becoming a workout titan between now and combine are....just like his brother went from being too small to get a scholarship as an LB/too small to be a DB at USC to combine genetic freak to All Pro pass rushing terror in 4 years.