1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J.J. Watt Extension Prediction

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pugsly8422, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>While JJ Watt practiced w/Denver blocking sleds he heard U break it,U buy it: "I don't have that kind of money.Commercials only pay so much"</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/501868952281423873" data-datetime="2014-08-19T23:10:57+00:00">August 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They likely wouldn't be offering him a "non-exclusive" rights franchise tag which is what your little loophole above is referring to. And if he does sign with that other team, the Texans would have the right to match any offer that comes in.

They likely would be offering him the "exclusive" rights one which guarantees your scenario can't happen (and likely would keep his max long-term dollar figure exclusive to the Texans).

3. Remii

Remii Member

Oh they wouldn't... Rick is that you ;)

Yes it's possible. No guarantee though. Slapping a player with the "exclusive" franchise tag isn't common practice in the NFL...

But I don't believe we will get to that point to find out.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Watt and Clowney for the next 7-10 years is too good to pass up.

We're in a unique place in the league right now. No way this should have happened if it wasn't for the perfect storm that occurred last season.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Watt said he's not involved in negotiations &quot;but I'll get involved if I have to.&quot;</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/501811788032540673">August 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jesus. If I were McNair/Smith I'd be terrified.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water (making AJ happy again), this comes up.

Unlike the short-lived AJ episode where the fans were divided....I expect the fans to be 100% on Watt's side this time around. As they should be.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Nothing has "come up". I just thought that quote was funny in a "JJ SMASH!!!!" kind of way.

This is the full quote:

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Neither is offering a free agent contract to non-exclusive franchised players. I don't believe, off the top of my head, it has ever happened. Very few teams are reluctant to give up the money *and* draft picks; it's a very steep price to pay.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This seems to be fan driven more than anything. I really don't know why this is a topic. He will resign here and it will be an incredible amount of money. /thread.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Yea... I know that. That's why I said "it's a possibility" _ and didn't say what a team is "likely" to do.

But again... I don't think they're going to get to that point to find out.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

man they better take care of JJ Watt

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texans usually don't let contract extension talks leak. Brown/Cushing/Foster/Myers/Schaub were all surprises when they went down, and so this is a little surprising. With McNair openly talking about not being afraid to use the Franchise Tag on J.J., it makes me wonder if they've reached an impasse and now both sides are trying to win the PR debate. No doubt that J.J. has outplayed his rookie deal, and I hope they come to an agreement here soon. Would be good for both parties to get this done with as little acrimony as possible and get back to the on-the-field product/results.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Which star have they NOT taken care of? They actually have a fairly sterling reputation in terms of taking care of their own. All this melodramatic hand-wringing is silly. There is ZERO chance he goes elsewhere.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Some other teams, with lesser players than JJ Watt from that class,have already been taken care of. Why has JJ, who's done everything right, probably the best of his class, still has yet to get his? I'm sure he will, but whats the hold up? It just doesn't look good.

JJ did it the right way. Didn't bring it up to the media or hold out. So I'm glad hes finally speaking out and it forces the Texans hand to get him a deal done before the season and get it out the way.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

The NFL salary cap is so difficult to understand sometimes, I personally think they're trying to find a way to fit his new contract in without capping themselves out in the future.

The Texans gave unnecessary extensions to plenty of players in the past, I'm sure they won't hesitate to give JJ what he deserves. Just a matter of how much the team feels is acceptable vs his agent and JJ himself.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kind of contradictory isn't it?

If JJ thinks he should be the highest paid defensive player in the league (rightfully so) why shouldn't he be?

17. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

He should be the highest paid defensive player in the league, but what exact number would make him happy? The Texans might think 15 million is a good starting salary, but JJ and his agent might want closer to 20. Either way he'll be the highest paid defensive player, but it's all up to both sides to meet somewhere in the middle, if they truly are apart on the numbers.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

WHAT IS THAT, CAMEL TEA? ARE YOU SLEEPY?? I'LL SHUT YOU DOWN!!!!

19. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I wonder if they are looking to front-load the contract considering they aren't investing anything significant in a QB yet

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Thats part of the problem. We need a GM or OUR GM to manage the cap better and not give out extensions to players coming off major injury or giving one before they need to. That could be part of the reason why its dragging out. I mean, who knows if we will be in position to be able to keep Watt and Clowney.

It just seems like it could have been done without JJ having to speak on it. I'm sure he would have rather had it that way.