1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Fixed

Classic GIF bwhahahahahah

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lol, still laughin at Progs going old school with Flo. D*mn,D*mn,D*mn!

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

4. Remii

Remii Member

I wonder how many quarterbacks O'Brien is going to carry on the roaster...

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

With this crew, I think he might keep 3, probably though Savage goes on the practice squad.
    I won't be surprised if BOB adds a late cut vet and cuts Keenum.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

They are all going to be mighty hot on there. ;)

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I say put Savage on the Roaster asap. He sucks.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We'd have to cut Savage, a 4th round pick, and hope no one claims him to put him on the practice squad. 0% chance this happens.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. Practice squad players are NOT protected. Other teams are free to sign them to their active rosters. The Texans are not going to put a 4th round QB they just drafted, who was always considered a project and was never expected to play this year, on the practice squad and leave him open to being stolen.

#309 Cannonball, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I just don't see Case as an O'Brien type quarterback. For this reason, I don't think he makes the team, despite the fact that he clearly deserves it. Like someone said before, I think we sign a roster cut and Case ends up the odd man out. It's a real shame, but it couldn't be much more obvious that this coaching staff doesn't believe in him.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

my bad, then 3
    but the #2 may not end up being Keenum

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Man, those guys are idiots. Undersized QB who can't handle the blitz and throws too many risky throws into coverage - B'Ob and company must be blind if they can't see the potential. At the very least you'd think they would have watched his 8 winless starts last year and seen what a winner the guy was.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you don't fit the physical dimensions . .. . . .nothing else matters

Rocket River

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think he's lacking in the mental dimensions more than anything else.

Seeing/reading the defense at the line, making the appropriate adjustments. These are things that can be "tested" on not only in games, but in practice. I believe the coaching staff considers "progress", or "struggling", more due to these issues than simply making throws.

We saw Fitz check out of a couple of passes to runs during the first-quarter TD drive. That only will further the confidence the coaching staff has in him. The reason why Peyton is so good at his advanced age is because he knows who's going to be open before the snap... now while Fitz won't ever be on that level, they do need to have a QB that grasps the mental aspect of the game just as much as they physical one.

A QB with all physical tools, and no mental game, always struggles. Whereas vice versa, there are a number of success stories.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I mean, I love the guy. Being a native Houstonian, he's hard not to pull for.

But aside from his hot start last year (which quickly cooled off once teams got some film of him) he hasn't really shown that he's a legitimate NFL QB.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't know why I'm even going to respond to this. The kid was more or less a rookie quarterback starting for a lame duck coaching staff and for a team that had basically quit. He had no running backs and a terrible (understatement) offensive line. Basically he had no chance out there. The Texans were a BAD football team. Those 8 losses were not on him alone. I don't believe that very many quarterbacks would have done much better under the circumstances. Having said that, I don't think he will ever be a great quarterback. I do think he would make a very capable backup though.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Oh, and I think you are right Rocket River. Sorry, did not mean to quote you there...

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the lack of "help" he had gets over-stated... Yes, they were a bad football team, but they looked worse with Keenum than they did with Schaub (even when Schaub came back after the Case benching).

And some of the mistakes he was making in terms of his reads and anticipating the blitz not only continued to happen as the season went on... but he started showing signs of regression in the things he was previously doing "well" (as more game-planning came out on his tendencies, etc.).

By all accounts, Kubiak ran a pretty QB-friendly/simplified offense... I don't see that being the case with BOB. Its going to feature changing game-plans from week to week... constant line reads... constant adjustment-making... things that even experienced QB's could have issues with.

19. Progs

Progs Member

Down but not out.

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

case just isnt good enough.. it has nothing to do with coaches not believing in him, hes just not good enough.. players get cut all the time, people want so desperately to believe in him..