1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First (tentative) Depth Chart Released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by houstonstime, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think that's exactly it. The only list I've really heard about is the one by Ron Jaworski. It was Jaws that had Schaub at #9 last year. He has Fitz at #31 this year.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Kendall Wright is a darn good young receiver (you said yourself you wanted the Texans to draft him). He was in the top 10 in YAC. Washington is no stud but he's no scrub _ and Walker is a top notch TE, and plus they had Hunter. Tennessee had one of the same problems we did last year and that was at the quarterback position. But if you and Rez think that receiving core was crap _ so be it.

I heard Jaws say that about Schaub, but he doesn't work in the NFL and rightfully so...

And I didn't say Fitzpatrick would finish in the bottom 5 _ I said he will finish on the bench watching Savage. But I'm not saying you're wrong about your opinion of Fitzpatrick _ I'm saying you're wrong to call people haters because they don't have the same faith in Fitzpatrick as you. Simple as that.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Here's a list not made by Jaws.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256084

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So what's your definition of a hater?

Check out Fitz's last 4 years...his TD to INT ratio isnt terrible...his ratings arent terrible...but he has been surrounded with terrible talent. And people talk about him like he's a piece of ****.

You, yourself, called him Fitzcraptrick.

Your definition of "hater" is skewed.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Nope... It's your definition that is skewed.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hater
    And your use of the word "hater" fits example #2.

Great... Now I'm confident Fitzpatrick will lead us to glory this year and I'll be sure to look you up after every game to tell you how right you were about Fitzpatrick starting week 1 when we blow out that garbage team Washington ;)

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While it may be true that some ppl on this board are being the "2nd definition of urban dictionary's hater" I think that they would then turn around and call you the first definition of that word...

And in any dictionary, the 1st definition is usually the most widely used.

Im not hating on haters or calling you a hater because I dislike you, I value your posts because they supply information, are backed up, and you don't make wild statements. As I said before I just wish you could be a little more optimistic. None of us had a good time watching last year and I for one look to the Chiefs in some optimism of this year.
    I never said or thought Fitz was a great QB, but I think it could work.

And I know you are stating what you believe, not trying to change that, but maybe instead of always claiming how this team would be lucky to get 5 wins, because of A, B, and C. Maybe just once or twice talk about D or E and what you are excited about. just my opinion

Sarcastic optimism is received better than negativity. :grin:

7. Remii

Remii Member

If they did they would still be using it wrong. The people who don't give guys like Flacco and Russell any credit and or call them lucky are haters. Those are two quarterbacks that helped their team's achieve the ultimate success. Fitzpatrick has had close to no success. You can't hate on a "nobody".

If you look on the 1st page _ I said I'm excited about seeing Savage. But you overlooked that to jump on me about what I said to the All Mighty Rez about our super star quarterback Fitzpatrick.

And I actually said and voted (in the other thread) that I think they can win 6 games. Bobby gets your hopes up and fills you with hope and optimism but yet he voted they would win 8 games. Not much difference in that. But it is surprising with all his talk that he can't even commit to the Texans winning 9-10 games... Go figure.

But no games have been played yet. Once they hit the field _ then you look for things to be optimistic about and or find hope in.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Is this what Ive said? The fact that you have to change my words to strengthen your argument just makes me look sexier.

Ive said Fitzpatrick is an average QB. Superstar? No. Stud? No. Lead us to a championship? No. But decent enough to run our offense and give the rest of the guys a chance to win? Sure.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hold on… He’s thrown 66 INTs in 56 games. And he’s fumbled an additional 22 times, BTW. So, yeah - I agree it’s not “terrible” – what’s the word that best represents several levels below terrible?

Also, almost * EVERY* QB has a sparkling RZ rating. Don’t believe me? Brandon Weeden’s was 92.9 last year. Schaub, who was actually not very good in the RZ last year, still threw 9 TDs against just a single INT.

Having said that, I will pause briefly to praise Ryan: you're right - Fitzpatrick has been *very* good on third down these past two seasons, converting a higher-than-expected number of third downs (while facing an average 3rd and 7 in ’13 and 3rd and 8 in ’12). But this goes back to all those INTs and fumbles – all the good he does on 3rd down is eventually rendered irrelevant because the dude is a turnover machine. Oh, and in close games?... Here are his numbers the last four years in the 4Q of games that are +/- 7 points: 150/243 (62%); 1,454 yards (5.9 YPA); 10 TDs; 13 INTs; 69.8 QBR.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has been his (and his team’s) own worst enemy the past four seasons; 2013 Matt Schaub, v2.0. Maybe BO’B can stiiffle his tendency to implode… but I would wager that’s a difficult something to undo.

1 person likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think this preseason is going to show us a lot and I cant wait.

Last year = 2-14 w/7 games lost by less than or equal to 7 pts.

This year:

* Fitzpatrick (stud or no stud) > Schaub ------- + 1-2 games

* New coach with a system that has some variety ------ +2-3 games

* "Barring injury'
    Foster, AJ, CUSHING, JJo ---------- +2-3 games

* Clowney/Watt tandem helping pressure/force TO ----- +1 game

*Easiest schedule (let me be clear before you guys jump on that)
    I am not saying we are playing all scrubs that we are better than because they were all better than us last season, but we have statistically the easiest of all the NFL teams, in the easiest conference (FACT), and the schedule is easIER than last years.

--------- +2-3 games

* Didn't lose anyone significant/intangibles (ie coming back pissed off) ------ +1 game

I will take the lower amounts to be fair and less "hopeless optimistic" as well as drop the intangibles one (or the watt/clowney cuz I guess that is also too hopeful)

+7-8 games

Puts us at 9-7 MAYBE 10-6

I think our division and AFC we could maybe see the playoffs with that.

That is where my optimism comes from Remii, not someone like Bobby just "hating" or spurring crazy talk of why we are awesome. I think he is just optimistic as well and we will all have to wait and see.

Jist of the story........ IM EXCITED AS **** FOR FOOTBALL!!!

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's not even a question. He's not a stud but he's not supposed to be. He's a lower tier starting QB. Could be average. Could be somewhat below average. But he's really the best option we had available.

It seems like people want to criticize him because he's not a franchise QB. Well, he isn't, but we didn't bring him in to be one so it's not exactly fair to judge him by franchise QB standards. And it's not like there was somebody else we could've brought in who could've been one either. McCown? Cassel? Vick? Gabbert? Those were our other options in FA. We probably wanted McCown but he visited with Tampa first and signed before his scheduled visit with us. He might be better but he wasn't going to be a guy you were going to build around. He's a stop gap in Tampa too.

And then the draft didn't present us with the right opportunity. OB obviously wasn't enamored with most of the QBs and didn't think they were worth their draft positions. He might've liked Bortles, but not at #1, and if we'd traded back, JAX still would've reached for him.

I just don't get the point of ragging on a guy for not being something he's not expected to be. He's a stop gap. That's it. He's the guy who's only meant to hold the position until we really can find that franchise guy. It'd be one thing if we passed over significantly better options, but we didn't. Certainly not in free agency. Time will tell in the draft, but even that point might be moot because by the time the jury is in on those guys, we'll almost have certainly made or move to get (what we hope is) our franchise guy.

Sorry houstonstime. This went past the scope of your comment and morphed into a response to some of the negativity going around here.

12. Remii

Remii Member

If Fitzpatrick is just a "stop gap" _ than instead of putting the team in a worst cap situation, we could have just kept freakin Schaub to do that and had more money to spend in free agency. All the reasons you guys give on why the Texans can be successful with Fitzpatrick can apply to Schaub as well.

But our team had to shoot themselves in the foot to satisfy a big portion of the hatin and negative fan base _ and some of those same fans call others negative and or haters for not jumping on Fitzpatrick jock... Some nerve.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes I did but still the fact remains, they weren't a top 10-15 receiving core Remii. And it wasn't all on the QB, them jokers dropped a lot of passes. Some of Fitzpatrick interceptions hit those receivers right in the hand. Now they had the potential to be a top 15 receiving core.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If Fitzpatrick finds some success here in Texas, you can best believe he will be the starter the following season.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Oh Lawd pleeeezzze don't let Baller be right....

16. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

To reiterate.....

17. conquistador#11

b.o.b's winning percentage without fitzie as a starter is .75

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

And he is 1.00 with Keenum as a starter!!! Are you making a case for Case? ;)

One-sided stats are one-sided.