1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can someone please explain how we can sign another max player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Nivos

Nivos Member

Sorry, I know there's been a lot of threads about our cap space but I just can't really understand how we can get a third max player?
    I'm arguing here with a really annoying Lakers fan who says we have no chance of landing a third max player, unfortunately he knows the ins and outs of the salary cap much more than me and i don't want to sound too stupid and embarrass myself and the rockets fans.

Thanks

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We signed Ariza. I think we'd have to trade him or trade for a guy who we'd have their bird rights and then when their contract is up sign them to the max.

I'm not a cap guy though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

We essentially can't now that we've signed Ariza.

4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

If the cap goes up as much as people expect we should be close to max room next offseason with one or two trades.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Somebody else posted that the maximum space we can get after waiving everything (NG'd contracts, Lin's TPE, etc) is around $12M. So we can only do S&T for a max player. Even then I'm not sure if we have enough out-going salary to make it work.

6. Nivos

Nivos Member

bummer, so no way for Love, Aldrige, or Millsap next year?
    And that annoying Lakers fan won the argument? Bad day for me

7. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Pfft... Arrogant lakers fan probably thinks he knows more than he really does. I'm sure Bima will write something up soon about our cap situation and how that affects the rockets in the coming year(s), but the reason Morey didn't re-sign Parsons was to have the flexibly to add a 3rd star

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Technically the Rockets could get close.

like 19.6 mil a year close. However that requires stripping down the roster to nothing but Howard/Harden & Ariza.

So not only would you need to trade Jones & D-Mo, but there are other contracts signed this Summer (albeit at the minimum) you'd have to move as well. That includes Daniels, Capela, Johnson, etc. as well as letting Pat Bev walk in free agency most likely.

I personally don't believe Morey/Les and most importantly, Dwight Howard, are going to wait patiently on 2015 free agency quite honestly. I think the main focus now is shifting towards trades.

Morey has talked non-stop since Doomsday about the TPE's & the Pelles pick... which is basically saying "we are open for business for trades". He's also referred to literally 100 + moves they could make to upgrade the team without Parsons on their books.

So the focus is definitely going to be on trades first. I think by the time we get to June of next year, we probably wont be sitting around wishing and hoping a superstar player will take a severe discount to join the Rockets.

As for the Lakers and their max cap space???... Dont worry... There wont be anyone worth truly paying the max for next Summer anyways. Love will be traded here in the next couple months to a place where he's likely to resign long term, LMA will take a max extension soon I'm sure (I bet they were waiting on free agency to finish first), and Rondo will likely be traded. After that, you are looking at guys like Dragic, Millsap, etc. getting max offers in free agency. I love guys like that, but let a team like the Lakers pay that kind of money for them.... the Rockets can hopefully trade for players just as impactful... Hopefully

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

You would go above the cap and below the umbrella value. You can make moves after the signing as well to arrive under the cap or just pay the tax as a 1st year offender.

10. bmd

bmd Member

There are ways but I don't know enough about it to know how.

Bimathug knows better than anybody here. If he posts in this thread, listen to him.

11. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Your laker friend must be ignoring the trade and the sign and trade possibilities, for which the rockets could easily afford the third max star (remember a max can go anywhere from $14m to $20m+ depending on player years). Assuming no trade route (which is unlikely - I think that's our most likely route), the rockets can no longer offer a max this summer (unless they taded ariza for nothing which they CAN do), but next summer depending on how how the cap goes the rockets could have between $17-20m in cap space depending on who they keep and the actual cap figure. That's enough to either sign a max player outright or threaten a signing to force a sign and trade. The question really is who is available. I think love is gone and Aldridge too, but we could offer the max to rondo next summer. We could easily offer $14m+ to Dragic next summer if we wanted to, if we viewed him as a third piece. Suns would probably not match that. Why offer that to Dragic and not Parsons? Because ariza and parsons are duplicative. Ariza (who is 90% of parsons) and Dragic are not, and Dragic (or Bledsoe) is a great fit next to harden. In any case we could even carve out $18m of cap space, tell Atlanta or Phoenix to sign and trade Milsap or Dragic to us (bc both are free agents) or we'll sign their player outright. Whoever blinks first we do a sign and trade, and the other we sign outright with cap space. Then you have
    Howard
    Harden
    Milsap (jone or DMO backup)
    Ariza
    Dragic (Bev backup)

I assume we'd trade at least DMO or jones and a pick or two in a sign and trade (but no much more bc they are free agents). How is that not a championship level team?

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

That is a championship team but can we actually achieve that?
    If so I will rub it in his face until it hurts

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I think the problem many are having is getting a "max player." We need to get "the perfect" player for our needs. That's why we get too bogged down on these superstars and we get shot down. How many MAX PLAYERS do the Spurs have? Miami had 3, including King James, and a bunch of really good role players and they got demolished/embarassed. My point is, this needs time to build. If a player like parsons is not on board then you let him go and move on to your next prospect.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This time we need to focus first on a pen and paper to sign on, before anything else.

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Well explained. Repped

16. champstocome

champstocome Member

We essentially are Knicks and Dallas are the rockets in the j.lin debacle. Morey made a unfavorable contract to mess with the knicks future plans and lost lin.

Cuban Moreyed us. Morey said cuban made cp35s contract super untradable. Why lock in when you dont have to? Ariza will fill in chandlers role better than chandler at a cheaper price. Then we signed multiple year or 2 yr contracts to make up the loss of jlins huge expiring contract. I dont think we lost anything from last season and we have nick johnson, dmo and tjones to look forward to.

17. champstocome

champstocome Member

18. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

We can achieve it if both players are interested in joining the Rockets and if we haven't used up the cap space by this year. Not to say that it will happen, but it's a realistic possibility.

By next year, assuming we don't sign anyone this year, we would have $14-20m in cap space (but $20m is not feasible without stripping our team down to the bare bones as was pointed out by another poster). Both Dragic and Milsap are unrestricted free agents next year (as is Aldridge and Love, but I expect them to sign elsewhere). Both will command probably between $11-13m/year, by my estimation. We have the cap space to sign either directly. We go to both PHO and ATL and tell them the first to do a sign and trade will get some assets back for their player who could otherwise walk away and leave their team with nothing. The other team loses and we sign the other player with cap space (note you'd have to execute the cap signing first and then the sign and trade, but you secure the agreement on the sign and trade first - teams don't back out after they've committed to a deal). That's about $70M for Harden, Howard, Ariza, Milsap and Dragic. The apron this year is $81M, and by next year it would be higher since the cap will rise.

What we can't do is swing for the fences while another team signs one of these two players. At a minimum, even if you miss getting both together, you could sign one if you wanted and have replaced Parsons with Ariza + Milsap or Ariza + Dragic. That's the problem with the Parsons match. If you do it THIS YEAR, you have no more cap space to swing sign and trades, sign other free agents, etc.