1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando fans feeling the torture ... Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sptbianchi27042705apr27,1,7540125.column?coll=orl-sports-headlines&ctrack=2&cset=true"><font size="+1">Ex-Magic stars in playoffs can drive fans crazy</font></a>
    Mike Bianchi - Orlando Sentinel - Published April 27, 2005

It's time once again for our annual torture and torment session.

And the thing is, we don't even need to flog your shins with a rattan bar.

Or drive bamboo shoots under anyone's fingernails.

No, all we have to do to antagonize fans and cause extreme mental anguish to Magic management is to come up with the "All Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda Ex-Magic Playoff Team."

Oh, sure, just about every NBA franchise lets great players slip away. The Washington Wizards, for instance, had Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Chris Webber and Richard Hamilton on their roster at different times. But I am here to declare today that no NBA team has been deserted by more superstars or discarded more raw talent than your Orlando Magic.

We live in the capital of make-believe and root for a team of might-have-beens. The City Beautiful? Hah. We are the City Fruiti-ful. We provide the fruit, and it ripens to perfection elsewhere. How many other franchises have the dubious distinction of being the former home of two MVP candidates and three of the NBA's top 10 players -- Shaq, T-Mac and Ben Wallace?

We can debate ad nauseum why these players left, but there is no argument that they are thriving without the Magic -- and the Magic are languishing without them. Players do their time here; they reach their prime somewhere else.

You want to root for Magic players in the playoffs? It's easy -- if you can overlook the fact that they're now wearing other uniforms. The Magic may not have a legitimate center on their roster now, but they once had the two best big men in the East -- Shaq Daddy and Big Ben.

They also can lay claim to one of the best point guards in the playoffs (Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons), one of the best 3-point shooters (Cuttino Mobley, Sacramento Kings) and two of the hottest coaches (the Chicago Bulls' Scott Skiles and the Boston Celtics' Doc Rivers).

What is it -- some sort of black Magic reverse curse? The Magic fire Rivers as coach last year, and he leads the Celtics to their first division title in 13 years. They fail to hire Skiles, a former Magic player who then is tabbed by Chicago and leads the Bulls to their first postseason since Michael Jordan left in 1998.

And speaking of Jordan, T-Mac now is being compared to His Airness in Houston. Could it be any more sickening for Magic fans than to watch T-Mac soaring and dunking over 7-foot-6 Shawn Bradley and then hitting the game-winner to give the underdog Rockets a 2-0 lead over the Dallas Mavericks? What happened to that selfish, one-dimensional, no-defense-playing Me-Mac who quit on the Magic last year? Well, he had 28 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds, three blocked shots and three steals in Game 2.

And afterward, Houston Chronicle columnist John Lopez wrote that McGrady "was taking more steps toward reaching a Jordanesque kind of place, where everyone knows the ball will be in his hands, the last shot will be his, and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

We could say the game comes much easier for T-Mac now that he's able to throw the ball inside to Yao Ming (13-of-14 from the field, 7-of-7 from the line and 33 points in Game 2) rather than when he used to toss it in to Steven "Hands of Stone" Hunter.

Except Hunter is flourishing, too, now that he's left Orlando. He scored 16 points for the top-seeded Phoenix Suns in their Game 1 playoff victory over Memphis.

The Grizzlies? They were led by former Magic man Mike Miller (19 points, 7-of-10 from the floor).

I could go on with this torture treatment, but I won't. From now on, I'll just resort to electric shock.

It's much more humane.

:p :p :p :p :p

How sweet it is ...

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hahahaha. I wonder if Weisbrod will start recieving death threats again.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

T-Mac has just got to be KILLING them. Oh, man, that is such justice for Weisbrod though I do feel bad for the fans. No fans should have to suffer through bad player decisions like that.

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

What are you talking about??? The fans in Orlando were bashing T-Mac like crazy when he was there. They deserve every bits of it!

5. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

I don't know what they are complaint about. They got Steve in return which is a fair trade. Orlanda has more or less the last year stat so they don't really lose anything. On the other hand, we are not customed to these happy ending. We are losing sleep because of these. Not mention we are overwhelmed with all the new bangwagon fans from left to right. We are actually getting the short hand of the stick.

6. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Wait, did you just say you aren't getting sleep because you're getting "happy endings"?

Talk about "short hand of the stick"!

8. NewYorker

People bashed Hakeem here during the lean years under fitch. I remember. Thank god we didn't trade him to the Lakers like rumors had it.

9. blu_monkey

blu_monkey Contributing Member

he forgot to mention penny :p

10. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Or to the Clippers for Stanley Roberts.

11. NewYorker

I live in nyc and most people here don't even know he plays for the knicks. Wait, does he play for the Knicks?

Penny isn't one that got away...he's just forgotten.

12. NewYorker

Sickening, but Lakers would be worse.

Trading Hakeem to the Lakers, well that would be like trading a great player to a team that you lost to the finals the year you were sure you were going to win it....and then seeing the trade work out really well for them and bring them back to the finals.

Poor Orlando fans.

13. superden

superden Contributing Member

hey we got our list of sorrows too....
    eddie griffin, and stevie fancis...oh wait we got TMAC from that trade. :D

14. wizardball

wizardball Member

we should thank the GM of Orlando...

for being an idiot.:D

15. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Weisbrod is the GM of the year to Houston!:D

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

this is what happens when the powers-that-be gives you 3 #1 picks in the first 15 years of your existence and you're dumb enough to let 2 of them go AND then basically let your 2nd best player ever go for 3 players where 1 of which was traded away stupidly. hows that for a long sentence/karma?

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Errr... I don't know about Ben Wallace being one of the best 10 players in the league...

Tim Duncan
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Kevin Garnett
    Tracy McGrady
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Nash
    Lebron James
    Dwyane Wade
    Allen Iverson
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Paul Pierce
    Amare Stoudemire
    Ray Allen
    Vince Carter
    Jason Kidd
    Yao Ming
    Gilbert Arenas
    Peja Stojakovic
    Carmelo Anthony

Can this writer honestly look at this list and say he'd take Ben Wallace over 11 of them?

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd add shawn marion too who i think is better then amare.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the Ben Wallace thing caught my eye too. I'm not sure what he was thinking there. I am glad to see an article from the Sentinel directing criticism towards management. Seemed like during the season, it was everyone's fault BUT management since all the beat writers wanted to keep their jobs by keeping the team in town.

20. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Man, I'm glad I live in H-town.