1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Darko Milicic a bust?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by r35352, Jan 23, 2007.

1. r35352

r35352 Member

Or will he someday improve (and with starter's playing time) become a player worthy of the number 2 pick?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He will never prove worthy of the number 2 pick in that particular draft due to the quality of players that went behind them.Two of which will be hall of famers as long as they don't get seriously injured.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Beleive it or not, it's still too early to tell. Big men take 3-4 years to fully develop even with starters minutes, and he has less career minutes than most guys get per season. He was pretty much screwed when he got Larry Brown as his first NBA coach. I think he might go back to Europe when his contract is up at the end of the season. He could play in Europe three years and still be in his prime if he comes back to the NBA.

4. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

He is doomed. Larry Brown destroyed Darko.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I really think Darko will be a solid player. Not the caliber of Wade, LBJ, Melo, or Bosh..

but I can see him having a long career averaging--in his prime 3 or 4 years--18, 10, and 4

6. Diaw

Diaw Member

give him time ... believe it or not he's as old as this year's n.1 pick ... he would not even be a senior in NCAA ... he's very young, and big men take time to blossom ... he will never be a superstar be will be a solid player i think ... wait until 5/6 more years to call him a bust ...

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's probably a bust. But it's too early to say that with certainty. Darko is another one of those players who may be incapable of sustaining good play over a long season. The 82 game grind separates the men from the boys.

Darko is probably a boy.

8. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

He won't be worthy of the number 2 pick. Especially with the talent that came behind him. Melo and Wade.

9. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

It's not Darko's fault that he was picked 2nd overall. I think he'll be a decent player if he stays in the NBA (rather than going to Europe) long enough to develop into the starter and star that he can.

He won't ever be a Melo or Wade, but he can develop into an All-Star if he perseveres. He's still young, but has shown promise.

So I guess it depends on what you mean when you say "bust."

10. r35352

r35352 Member

When I say bust I mean Kwame Brown level.

11. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I think he'll be better than Kwame.

But never comparable to the best of his draft-classmates. He's no Nowitzki, which is what he was projected to be, I guess.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If he's a bust, it's the Joe Smith or Stromile Swift type, IMO. He would never be picked so high again if GMs got a redo, but if you've seen him play more than a couple times, it's evident that he's an exceptional athlete for his size. He's fluid, he's an above average weak side blocker, he runs the floor well, and he has a nice stroke on his jumper.

He's killed himself mostly because he's a spoiled brat as far as his professional attitude and work ethic. Wants the PT and cash, doesn't work hard to earn either. Doesn't relax on the court because he feels pressured to prove that he's a star and not a bust. Not the highest bball IQ, either.

He won't be a star, and probably won't be more than a borderline starter either. But he won't have trouble finding work at the MLE.

Evan

13. echu888

echu888 Member

emjohn, I agree. When I read the title of this thread, I thought of Joe Smith... But yeah, basically a bust. Definitely won't ever live up to the expectation of being a number 1 or 2 pick.

Those who say he is still developing ... my guess is that there's probably little chance of him doing much more than he is already doing.

14. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

It sucks that Joe Dumars made the mistake, but Darko Milicic has to carry it on his back the rest of his NBA life.

Anyway, he looks like he'll be a nice starter in a year or two. He'll never sniff an All-Star game, but there's no shame in that. League-average players have a lot of value, too.

15. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

he will never be a legit first option on any team, therefore yes he will always be a bust

16. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

You mean second round?