1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets draft is a success if they draft..

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by acshen, May 4, 2012.

1. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

I just want to know what everybody's infatuation with Austin Rivers is?

I've seen him play since his days at Winter Park to actually watching him live at Duke and I'm not sold that he is the type of player the Rockets need.

He is a high volume, shoot-first tweener guard who does NOT play any defense whatsoever. Seeing as how Rockets fans flame K Mart every chance they get, I don't see the how picking Rivers is going to end well.

Strengths:

1) Quick Release on shot (and a decent jump shooter)
    2) Very quick first step
    3) Plethora of moves on the offensive end
    4) Smart Player (good court awareness and is able to adapt to what the Defense gives him)
    5) Good basketball pedigree and fundamentally sound
    6) Above-average athlete (good, but nothing special)

Weaknesses:

1) Not a good defender
    2) Often looks to much for his own shot (gets caught playing 1 on 5)
    3) A bit of tweener at the SG position at a generous 6'4" (doesn't really have much court vision so can't really play PG because he's mostly looking to score)
    4) For whatever reason almost never goes left and when he cuts left always tries to finish with the right hand (if you've watched him play enough this is definitely something you would observe as a defender)

Overall, he has the potential to be a solid NBA player, but there are definitely things that I would try to take a second look at. If anything, his game most resembles a player we already have on our roster (Kevin Martin), except he is younger and hopefully less injury prone.

2. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

To bo optimistic and realistic: Jeremy Lamb or Jared Sullinger.

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I agree he should've stayed in college one more year. But you gotta believe he's getting good advise from his dad, who may be the best coach in the game. I don't think he wouldve left college unless Doc is telling him he's ready.

And I know he has lots of room for imprivment, but it's his mentality and work ethic that gives him star potential. He's obviously got things he needs to work on. But come on, he's 19 years old. How many players can you name that came into the league at that age and didn't have a few flaws?

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm just sayin there are better options available in the mid 1st round imo.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

FG% is misleading as he takes a lot of 3pt shoots. His 2pt percentage is 47.7%. Not great, but same true scoring percentage as PJIII last season. Defense and playing with team is his problem...oddly, the same as PJIII. Rivers improved through the year so his season stats may underrate him.

Not a big fan of either guy, but can see why others like Rivers and you like PJIII. This draft is loaded with guys that have lots of potential with big question marks.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lilliard intrigues me the most out of the guys that may be at 14. Lamb is a good scorer. Taylor is also a guy worthy of a look.

7. freshstart

freshstart Member

edited :grin:

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's success if they trade up both picks. The ideal scenario is to trade up top 5, but trading up each pick 2 or 3 spots is more realistic. 14 and 16 can leave you with 2 patrick pattersons, potential-wise, and that's not what we need. Trade both up to 11-13.

9. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Ecstatic:
    Harrison Barnes falls to 14 (not likely)
    Sullinger at 16 (also unrealistic)

Realistic:
    Kendall marshall at 14 or Quincy Miller
    Arnett Moultrie at 16

Very ****ty draft:
    Meyers Leonard at 14
    Terrence Ross at 16

Note: I think Ross will be a decent NBA player. Average player and drafted at the right spot, but we have a starting SF and we need to draft a starter with at least one of our two picks. I am not a fan of Leonard

10. dje243

dje243 Member

Trade one pick and a player to go get sullinger, then get lamb with the other pick. I really just want to see Dragic, Lamb, and Parsons run around the court together.

11. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Honestly it'll be a successful draft if we actually move up in the draft as Morey has always tried to do!

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Unrealistic to think Rockets draft a starter at 14/16.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would love for us to be able to trade up and get Sullinger, PJIII, Beal or Barnes.

All 4 have some issues that may drop them into a feasible range. Although there are question marks, each guy represents a player that could possibly be a building block.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Very unrealistic. Everyone knows that starters are drafted at #38.:rolleyes:

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Sorry guys I dont know how to embed but I feel like this video has a little bit of everything Sullinger can do (not just dunk)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiF-zhR1dGg
    I really doubt this guy is gonna be a bust, he plays with fire/emotion just like Scola and thats a good sign IMO.

16. dje243

dje243 Member

I think he's still the best center prospect we could feasibly move up and get.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

There are very few players available at 14 or 16 with more upside than Rivers.

18. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Austin Rivers

19. lr22

lr22 Member

Trade up for UConns (Drummond and Lamb), second coming of Hakeem and Clyde!
    Lowry, Martin, Dalembert, Mook and picks are enough to get them!

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'd be happy with picking them, but that's a lot to give up!