1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HISD Schools Drop Native American Mascots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 16, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Including my Alma Mater Lamar HS.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/...hools-change-historically-insensitive-mascots

Houston schools change 'historically insensitive' mascots

The Redskins are still in Washington D.C., but they're not in Houston anymore.

The Houston Independent School District announced on Tuesday it has officially changed its mascots with "Native American or historically insensitive ties."

The Lamar High School Redskins will become the Texans, the Welch Middle School Warriors will become the Wolf Pack, and the Westbury High School Rebels will now be known as the Huskies.

It's a simple change of name, but it won't be cheap.

HISD says it will cost $38,000 to remove all old symbols and signs at the campuses, and $50,000 for new uniforms.

"The moral cost to our reputation as a diverse district -- where we care about the sensitivities of every single individual -- would be incalculable if we were not to do this," HISD superintendent Terry Grier said.

As for the NFL's Redskins, the debate still continues.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why is redskins offensive and vikings is not?

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

"Vikings" isn't an ethnic slur.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

neither is "warrior". i get changing redskins, but how is warrior offensive...or rebel for that matter?

but yeah, HUUUUUGE difference b/t viking and redskin...

i would want my mascot to be a guy waiting for someone to finish peeing before they pee in the urinal next to them.

5. Buck Turgidson

Great thread for the hangout!

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yeah probably should've posted it in D&D. Mod's please move if you feel it should be there.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Does that mean I can't wear my old Lamar High School Redskins shirt anymore?

I thought for sure they were changing it to Rangers or something some 6-7 years ago.
    Lamar High School Texans doesn't feel right... Lamar High School Rockets fits better.

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

How is Rebels related and/or offensive to Native American heritage?

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I personally prefer the Lamar High School Jontros. But that's just me tho

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think "Warrior" when used generically it is fine but in the case of Welch MS they were tying it to Native American imagery. The GS Warriors had a similar situation when they were the Philadelphia Warriors but ended up dropping any Native American imagery while keeping the name "Warriors".

11. Buck Turgidson

HISD's Robert E. Lee Rebels used to embrace the 'stars and bars' back in the late 80's-early 90's (no idea what their mascot is now). That's offensive to people of many races.

12. rudan

rudan Member

Whats funny is that continuing to drop native american mascots around america will eventually make people forget indians existed.

When the whites in this country become a minority, I hope that they will honor us with team names(honkies, crackers, rangers, etc).

13. Christopher

Christopher Member

As an Australian I find all of this very weird.

I understand the redskins name being an issue. If native Americans want that changed, it needs to be changed. However....warriors? Isn't it a bad thing to remove some of the proud, traditional imagery of native Americans that have been used as a symbol of strength for so long?

That is just my opinion anyway. I guess there could be other reasons why all native american imagery is being removed that I haven't heard of.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

PETA protesting "Huskies" in 5... 4... 3... 2... :eek:

15. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Westbury REBELS now the HUSKIES? wtf? weak!

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there ain't no alaskan looking dogs at westbury

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Lol my dad went there and had the same reaction.

18. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Welch & Westbury, those are 2 schools that I went to! I agree with the majority here, I understand the Redskin thing (and I think it should be changed), but Warriors & Rebels? :confused:

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The problem with the use of the name "Warriors" is that a lot of sports teams have associated them also with Native American imagery and generally not examples of strength but as caricatures. For example the earlier cited Philadelphia Warriors.
    [​IMG]

The organization dropped the Native American imagery and kept the name but I don't know if that was considered by HISD.
    The problem with the use of Native American imagery is that many names like "Redskins" were ethnic slurs and would be the equivalent of calling a team "The Darkies" and as stated the imagery isn't often flattering.
    This was Lamar HS's mascot.
    [​IMG]

US society no longer tolerates imagery like this:
    [​IMG]
    or this
    [​IMG]
    Yet imagery like this is still used:
    [​IMG]

At best though these names and images weren't ones that Native Americans had suggested and they are the ones who are asking for them to be removed. This is what makes the situation different from Notre Dame's use of the "Fighting Irish" and cartoon leprechaun because Notre Dame had been founded by Irish and for the most part Irish Americans are not asking for the removal of that imagery.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

About time. As a Lamar alumnus, there was no reason for a public school to be called Redskins in 2014. And the defenders of that slur can't even pull the cards they use when they defend Dan Snyder. After all, Lamar's first coach wasn't a "Native American" of dubious origin and the school never established a "foundation" to benefit the lives of the people it "honored".