1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical analysis and solutions to McGrady's FT shooting problems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm starting this thread to get the board's opinions on the source of McGrady's FT shooting woes.

In my opinion, I think it is very simple. It's his release. He is cramming the ball into his shooting hand with his off hand and then flicking it off his shooting hand and recoiling his shooting hand. He is not cupping the ball and simply balancing it with his off hand, pushing up, then rolling his fingers off the ball in one nice smooth free action with the finish being his point finger pointing downward towards the rim. Too much pressure with his off hand causing his release to be jerky and his shooting hand to recoil.

Thoughts?

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

sometime, it's just all in the head.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

To be fair, the title should replace McGrady with Rockets.

4. soysauce

soysauce Member

Do the rockets even have a FT shooting coach? Even Shaq hits FT's in Phoenix

5. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

The problems are...

A) His stance. He keeps his front foot in a fixed, akward position. Unnatural. He is also too close to the FT line...in Orlando he would stand further behind the line.

B) He is aiming his shots. Instead he should simply release it without focusing on any particular point...just throw it up around the rim. I have seen him in warmups shooting baseline jumpers in which he barely jumps...they all go in. Same can be for his FT's.

6. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

Yea that's true that our team shoots really bad at the FT line but I think in McGrady's case it's only about concentration. Past years he've been good at shooting FTs, now he has to have better concetration at the line.

7. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

we just completely outplayed by sun's inside duo, there is nothing to do with TMAC FT

8. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

He is the leader. He should set an example for the team. He is much better than that, a career 75% shooter.

Scola told some Chinese media that he has lost confidence in his FTs, even he had been a decent FT shooter. I don't know if that is because Tmac infected him.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I've never seen him change his stance so it's hard for me to feel that is the problem. He did used to stand about a foot off the line up until this season. It would be interesting to know why he moved closer. Maybe he feels he is the same distance away.

I made my point based on observation of that is obvious to me is the wrong shooting form. I think too much downward pressure from his offhand while his shooting is cocked is causing the poor release and recoil.

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

sure sun's inside duo was outstanding, but wow, the suns let us have a chance for us to take a win. when we get the chance we should have just took advantage of that. missing 2 crucial free throws at the end? jackson missing a free throw during our run in the 3rd. it's not just losing 1 points, it's also momentum changers.

11. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

I know how to fix it! shoot like 300 shots a day in the offseason like Nash, Kobe, Dirk, Allen, Lebron, Billups, I could go on and on. Defend McGrady all you want. Its pretty obvious the dude hasnt worked on his game outside of practice and real games in about 2 years. He is slowly degressing because he is one of the laziest players ever. Trade him while we can still fool people into believing he is an all-star.

12. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

You do know he lost 20lbs in the offseason and for the first month and a half was shooting 45% to go along with 25/6/5, right?

Moron.

13. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I think he needs to square his body more with the basket. His stance makes his release much more awkward than it should be. No reason TMac shouldn't shoot FT in the high 70% at the minimum.

14. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Excuse me it was 10-15lbs, not 20lbs.

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Maybe he ate too much taco bell and got a bit of Taco neck syndrome?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6c7jNIFuAE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6c7jNIFuAE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. zilches

zilches Member

It ain't just t-Mac. It's all of the Rockets ('cept Yao). As I mentioned in the game thread, just force them to watch Amare hit 20 of 20 before each game. Shame them into submission.

17. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

yeah because he was getting the bonzi size happy meals and ballooned up to a much higher weight. Thanks for proving my point though. Why would he have to lose that much weight?

Oh yeah you can really tell he is working hard on his shooting in the offseason every year. Moron.

18. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

Enough with the TMAC slurping. He was out shot by Shaq! Game, set, match.

19. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

He spent the past offseason trying to get back in shape. It should be beyond obvious that his athleticism is alot better than it was last year.

20. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

Not so much.