1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Please stop recycling gifs and come up with something creative

2. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Depends, remember the same was said about Teddy.

The buzzards will come around as usual

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Actually you just described Joe Montana lol

LOL at criticizing Mariota yet liking Manziel

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think the truth is, and that the pre-draft rumblings have confirmed this, that ALL of these QBs have major warts and none of them are on track to be a star in the league. Odds are though, one of them will probably turn out to be a very good QB. But at this point no one knows who that player is, and there will be a lot of dependence on said player developing from this point on.

In the end, I feel the Texans should either take a QB they feel is a steal at the position they're drafting, or simply pass on QBs for this year. The more I read it seems like this draft is pretty deep on talent. I'd rather not waste a pick on a QB flyer if I can get a likely starter from another position. The Texans aren't winning jack squat this year regardless of their QB. I don't mind if we wait a year for a QB.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why do u think mariota went back to school?

Mariota has a loooong way to go, you clearly haven't watched him close enough. There is more to football than espn box scores.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

"an immature, weak armed" who are you talking about?

1 person likes this.
  7. Raven

Raven Member

A pretty reasonable position, I think. I'd like to see the Texans gamble on Manziel, but I'll be almost as fired up if it's Clowney. :)

But it better be one of them. :p

Or :mad:

8. Remii

Remii Member

Because he saw who had the #1 pick... Lol.. If Mariota had came out he would more than likely be the top quarterback on the board.

9. YaosDirtyStache

I remember two years ago being mad that Texans were good because we were going to miss out on Clowney.

A horrible disappointing season later here we are, my fap arm has doubled in size as the draft approaches.

Warmly welcome Clowney.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

you're a weird dude.

11. YaosDirtyStache

if you cant fap over the idea of Clowney that makes you questionable!

12. rezdawg

Houston would be the best #1 team to go to in quite some time...beats the perennial scrubs like the Jags.

Mariota is garbage. When the offseason started and Mariota was still undecided, he was the one I wanted out of everyone (my previous posts will show that)...and I was pissed when he decided to return to school. My cousin, who was at Oregon, told me Mariota is completely overrated as a pro prospect and that I shouldnt worry about losing out on him. I looked at a ton of videos of Mariota and Teddy/Johnny both crap on him. Mariota is all hype because of the offense he is a part of...it's easy to look good when you have receivers with 10 yard cushions. He has a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to have a successful NFL career. He'll be a first round pick, but he's not what I thought he was.

13. Remii

Remii Member

The arrow is pointing up for the Jags. The have a good GM and a good coach and some young talent. They played with a bunch of rookies last year and finished with a better record than the Texans.

And it's not always about the video. If it was... EJ Manual wouldn't have been drafted in the 1st round last year because his video was definitely not better than Geno's. The video isn't the end all be all. Some NFL teams look at these players as what they think they can be and not what they are at this point. That's why they are called prospects.

14. rezdawg

Obviously.

That wont keep Mariota from being a bust.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Of course. Maybe he will be maybe he won't. But I'm hoping he won't because if the Texans don't find their quarterback this year there is a strong possibility Mariota may be one of the quarterbacks we'll be discussing next year.

16. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's a great stat sheet. The layout WAY over emphasizes win loss records though. That has to do way more than the QB. For instance,Terry B has a way better record than Johnny Football against top 10 defenses but Johnny is clearly the better statistical player.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

3 sacks....too small bro.

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

FWIW...

Houston, at No. 1, isn’t set on Jadeveon Clowney. In fact, one FORS (Friend of Rick Smith) told me the Texans general manager likes Khalil Mack over Clowney, and we still don’t know which quarterback Houston would choose if it chooses one first overall. I still think the Texans would go with a more sure thing with the first overall pick than a quarterback—and that sure thing could also be tackle Greg Robinson. But imagine Mack, the outside linebacker from the University of Buffalo, being the first pick in a stacked draft. Wouldn’t that be something—a second straight Mid-American Conference player (Eric Fisher, Central Michigan, by Kansas City) as the top pick in the NFL draft?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-monday-morning-quarterback/