1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's actually Jeremy Lin's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Mar 2, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

For all the talk about how the Rockets need to trade Lin and everything, I'm curious where people peg his trade value? For simplicity sake, either trade him for another PG, or a single draft pick.

My own list.

No Chance in Hell

Parker
    Westbrook
    CP3
    Irving
    Curry
    Lillard
    DWill

Pick 1-10

The other team will say no, but at least will pause a second

Holliday
    Walker
    Ty Lawson
    Kyle Lowry
    John Wall
    Rondo
    Conley
    Brandon Knight
    Rubio
    Isiah Thomas

Picks 11-whatever the cut off line for 2nd level talent of the draft is

Probably says no, but at least plausible depending on circumstances

Nash
    Vazquez
    Jameer Nelson
    Bledsoe
    Jimmer
    Gary Neal
    Bradley

Low 1st round pick(keep in mind salary difference between pick and Lin's $8.3mil cap figure/$10mil yearly salary to be paid out)

Free Agents. Include restricted. Listed because teams can sign one of these instead of trading something for Lin.

Jeff Teague
    Darren Collison
    Jose Calderon
    Jennings
    Devon Harris

I've rattled off 27 names already... in a league with 30 starting PGs. The PGs I can see 1-to-1 trades with Lin are the likes of Dragic(unlikely due to PO), Ridnour/Berea/Shevd(any of Minnesota's gazillion non-Rubio PGs).

I would say Morey would let go of Lin immediately for either a young PG on rookie salary with upside, like Bledsoe, or a clear upgrade at the position, like a Ty Lawson. Otherwise, pointless to make a move. But from the other side, why would anyone take on Lin's 2yr/$17mil($20mil actual payout) contract AND give the Rockets a worthy asset?

As much as some people may dream of the Rockets without Lin, or Lin becoming Linsanity again once he's free from his Lin-hating coaches, there are very few if any plausible scenario where the Rockets would benefit by trading Lin.

1 person likes this.
  2. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

People are just overreacting because Beverley earned his 4th quarter minutes for once.

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Nobody's saying Beverley is the answer. We're just noting that Lin is not the answer.

4. nono

nono Member

He is better than half those guys on your list.

5. conquistador#11

I see what you did there.

Lin for Fortson, but the nbdl probably says no! =/

6. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Yeah I'm sure we would all love Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving but that isn't happening.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If we can get john wall for lin, I would do it. Wall has sucked this year, but I think he can be much better.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade him to the Lakers! Clearly he'll be with a coach that trusts him and will let him run the show! And the fans will appreciate him there!! Rockets fans don't deserve Lin.

Darius Morris, Robert Sacre, 1st round pick for Jeremy Lin. Seems like a fair trade for all. Make it happen Kupchak!

/Linfan

;)

9. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

His trade value is artificially low for the same reason Morey was able to take him away from New York, and was the only GM who even tried: most league FOs continue to undervalue him (for whatever reason, we don't have to discuss it). This makes it basically impossible for us to get value back for him in a trade. But it will allow us to extend his contract for less when the time comes.

Lin will be given his entire contract duration to grow and develop. He could be traded as an expiring two years from now, but unless he completely flops (which would require a reversal of what we've seen from him so far) my bet is Les ensures we keep him.

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

If you guys think Lin is a TO machine, get a load of this

John Wall averages 3.7 TOs while playing 29.5 minutes

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

Trading Lin for John Wall is like the Trob trade. Giving up whats better now for what may be better in the future. Would you do it?

12. timm

timm Member

FOr LOF, Lebron or KD. They could live with Melo. For Lin hater Tracy McLady would be as high as we can get. Good thing we dont do trades....Morey does

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The problem is his contract. It would be hard not to get a bad contract back.

14. rokit

rokit Member

wall would be 5pts 3ast player in this system

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a perfect world, we could keep Lin and just trade away his annoying fans. There's nothing wrong with the player.

2 people like this.
  16. CertifiedTroll

I really doubt Sixers would pause for a second in a Lin for Jrue trade. They would probably have a pause to laugh. Like I said before, I have no problem with Lin, except we are paying him too much to not be a strong piece of our team. That being said he has shown flashes of what he can be. Given an off-season his shooting will improve. But would trade instantly for Marcus Smart.. :D

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I don't think Lin will be traded and I don't see the point in comparing him to other PGs, but I would think Lin's trade value is some type of mid first rounder.

George Hill was traded for pick #15 (Kawhi Leonard) a few years back. Hill was significantly cheaper at the time and more solid of a player, but Hill didn't quite have Lin's upside, nor was he anywhere near as marketable.

If a few teams that are in need for a PG like Lin and happen to pick #12 or #13 I could very well see one of them trade that pick for Lin.
    On the flip side, if teams have other, more asset-preserving options to acquire a players similar to Lin's caliber, the most you might be to get is a pick in the low teens or early twenties.

18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I would take Wall in a heartbeat but I wouldnt let Lin go unless it was just a jaw dropping offer. Mcfu&%boy wont be here much longer and then we can see what kind of talent we really have.

19. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Lin has the 2nd highest usage rate on the 2nd highest scoring team in the league (5th most efficient) and is statistically our 2nd best defensive player...some of you guys need to look past the box score...

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And you probably wanted a 3pt shooting PG next to Harden ...