1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocks want a Knicks Draft Pick in the Rice deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperS32, Aug 16, 2001.

1. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Apparently, the rockets have asked the knicks for a draft pick,not a player, in the Glen Rice deal. The pick would be a first rounder, and would be based on how many games Rice plays this year. For instance, if he missed almost the entire season, the Rockets would recieve an unprotected first round pick from NY. If Rice stays healthy, the pick could be top 20 protected, etc. I think this will prolly be the last time the knicks trade with the Rockets for a LONG time. :)

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Do people even log on to the <a href="http://www.clutchcity.net/rockets.cfm">front page</a> before coming to the BBS? This is from the New York Post...

4. Achebe

front page? There's a front page?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not necessarily. I have a bookmark set to the bbs. I will go to the front page prior to posting new Rocket news, however. If your intent is to read the bbs it saves a click or two to have it bookmarked. In addition, when you are having problems with the site, you can oftentimes get to the bulletin board.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Hey Super...

Where did you read this info regarding the unprotected/top 20 protected conditions of this pick?

7. Achebe

pippen, that was merely super's example.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I realize Achebe, but I mean did he get his interpretation of "[the pick] would be based on how many games Rice plays this year" from a written souce? My understanding of the pick being discussed was that we would either get a pick or not get one at all. Super seems to be saying we will get a pick no matter what.

9. Achebe

This is slightly stretching it. Obviously the Rockets want the trade to work... but they also want Rice's foot to work.

The Mavericks have the least to lose if this deal goes sour... they were merely trying to help Eisley out. The Rockets may have lost Bullard, but will that truly force their hand? If the deal is rescinded Shandon Anderson still has to go through the Rockets to get his $$$.

If Rice goes back to NY, the Knicks are screwed. There are no other teams (stupid enough) to take on Rice. It's the cap hit dummy. Noone cares what the Rockets' salary obligation to Rice constitutes. Trades involve cap hits. The luxury tax goes against the cap obligation. Rice has a > $9M cap hit. If he's lame, he's not tradeable. Hell, he's never tradeable again.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Every time, it is my homepage. Long live Clutch and CC.net.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HEB- The Mavericks want the trade exception so they can go after T. Hardaway. A rescinded trade means they don't have the exception, or a roster slot to put him in.

Fegan loses most. His free agent client misses out on a 42 mill deal, and his other client remains out of favor in Dallas, and stuck behind Steve Nash at PG.

I'm curious to see NY's reaction on the Rockets wanting more compensation. So far no story has said how they feel about it.

We want Rice's foot to work, but I'm confident that in the next year, we could get a comparable talent to Rice with 10 mill in cap space.

Less than 24 hours to go....

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I bet NY will bite on the pick request - they would have too many headaches to deal w/ if the trade fell through and it's not like they're adept draft pickers anyways...

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

So, Achebe, are you saying the Rockets are the only team stupid enough to take on Glen Rice, or (leaving you an out) are you saying that due to roster composition, it is a smart acquisition only if the Rockets make it? ;) :confused:

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I would prefer a big man like Othella, but if the Rockets want a draft pick it must mean they are already after a big man.

Front page!? :confused: ;)

15. enbehay

enbehay Member

The Rockets need a #1 pick from New York AND a #1 from Dallas. Kyle Hill signed with a French team, and we need to gouge N.Y. for all we can get. If the situation were reversed, N.Y would have their knickerbockers down and waving two half moons at us and the Mavs would be goring us like they were hot and horny.:D :D :D

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I think a better characterization would be that another team would have to be crazy to accept him in a trade after the Rockets declared him to be damaged goods.

It seems like a lot of people are considering the compensation as some sort of payment for taking a chance on Rice. I don't think that is what it is. We're asking for a pick that is paid only if Rice is indeed injured for a long period of time. Imo, that is a reasonable request that really cannot be construed as gouging (though NY fans seem to think it is). A healthy Rice for a healthy Anderson is a very good trade for us. An unhealthy Rice and a #1 for Anderson is a bad trade. A moderately healthy Rice and a heavily protected #1 for Anderson is probably about fair.

17. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Achebe, JuanValdez, you're bi-uid!!!

All seriousness aside, I thought those little smiley dudes were supposed to tell everybody I'm just kidding.

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

"I fully expect the deal to be consumated. If it's not, to borrow a quote from Shakespeare, 'Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.' "
    -- Dan Fegan

Love the literary reference, Dan. So, uh, cosmopolitan of you. Say, speaking of rotten, what was the name of that backstage, string-pulling crook in Oliver Twist?

#18 Will, Aug 16, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2001
  19. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Will, you made me spit up my tuna (ugh!)

<i>-Turbo</i>

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's alright, I know you were kidding. I just know that when I had been reading Heb's post, I had to fill in the blanks for myself as to why a nixed trade would make Rice untouchable. So, I set it out there in the open.