1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't yall just love the Discovery channel!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXRAN, Feb 6, 2001.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I have this ritual where I watch it alot, and especially at night. They have this "bloodsuckers" show and it is really insightful. I just wanted to let all of you know that you're not alone out there..and it's O.K. to enjoy the wonderful programming.

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

2. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

yeah me too...animal planet for me though...for some strange reason, when I watch Sportscenter...after it goes to commercial break I always surf and the animal planet sucks me in...30 minutes later, I find myself still watching that and making me miss my whole sportscenter...wassup with that? I get hooked watching sharks, tigers, birds, snakes and crocodiles in the wild...

------------------

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I can't watch the animal shows because some animal always has to get eaten and I just can't stand it. I LOVE the Learning Channel, Discovery and Home and Garden TV. They are all great.

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Any of you guys watch the Christopher Lowell Show on DSC? [​IMG]

------------------

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Jeff, this sounds like you have never watched Animal Planet. Rarely do they show animals being eaten, and it is never during any of the more popular shows. It is great family television, much better than the crap the networks put out.

Watch The Crocodile Hunter with Steve Irwin. Fantastic show! He runs a zoo in Aus. and has been an ardent animal lover since his birth (his parents founded the zoo).

The only thing objectionable is the craziness that must go on inside Irwin's head. I could never, ever handle snakes, or even get as close to them as he does. He even followed a monitor lizard down its burrow and pulled it back out. Wild!

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

Asking the question: What is more dangerous, an AK-47 or a scooter?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love watching animal documentaries. They're some of the best shows on tv. The Croc Hunter is one of my favorites. That guy is freakin' fearless (or stupid). I love watching pretty much any shows about predators like the big cats, crocs or other reptiles. The wildest one I saw was one where a lioness chased a zebra across a river. The zebra made it across, but about halfway across, a croc snagged the lioness. Wow.

Another awesome one is the mass migration of the wildebeast in Africa. Incredible stuff.

------------------
    "what if my aunt had balls?" -- in one fell swoop, bbs member verse expresses his dislike of "what if" scenarios and shows he has far too much idle time on his hands.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The crocodile hunter is HUGE exception to that rule. You are right that I haven't watched animal planet much except for the shark shows which are irresistable. I'll check it out.

------------------

8. ChenZhen

Steve is the most entertaining guy on TV, over letterman & leno, ect...I don't know anybody else who risks his life just to help these poor animals every single day...

------------------

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

These aren't exactly "poor animals" he deals with. As I'm sure you know, he goes to the animals habitat to make his show, and those animals have survived many years living the life he films.

Of course, his crocodile rescue operations save wild animals from human civilization, but again, I wouldn't have pity on them. Encounter them in the wild, and they won't have pity on you. [​IMG]

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

Asking the question: What is more dangerous, an AK-47 or a scooter?

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I myself love to watch Croc. Hunter as well. That dude has the marbles that I always wished I had.

My favorite show was one where I saw him driving along on an Australian road at night, and saw a snake on the road. He got out to move it off the road, and it bit him.

Since he did not know what kind of snake it was from the look of it, he had to get back inside his car and look up in a book to find out if he had been poisoned!

He was like 70 miles from any hospital! Dude is amazing!

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The Discovery Channels were awesome a few years ago, but now they're littered w/ hokey 'reality tv' at night. It's as if they don't even screen some of the shows for accuracy.

Last night I was watching some show about Megaladon and they had some enthusiast saying "scientists don't know this and that". My wife happened to be watching the show w/ me and just started dying laughing (she is a research geneticist) b/c it's stuff that's been known for eons.

Why do they dumb it down at night? Why does every show remind me of that movie Fierce Creatures?

------------------

12. ChenZhen

Yeah I know, but sometimes these animals are really innocent and get caught in difficult situations that are brought upon by humans (pollution, etc). Their instict tells them to be defensive that's why they try to kill you. generally speaking, if you don't do nothing to them, they won't do nothing to you.

------------------

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

That female croc should sue.

Do you think the trial will be on Court TV?

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited February 06, 2001).]

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I remember when the Croc Hunter was on Leno or Conan...I can't remember what show it was. Anyways, the host asked him, "Do your shorts get any longer?" [​IMG]

Of course, the Croc Hunter didn't understand the joke.

------------------

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

You know, 12 stitches for a crocodile bite doesn't seem that bad. I got six in my wrist when I slipped and broke a coffee pot putting it in the dishwasher.

I'm not saying the bite didn't hurt like a b*stard or that it wouldn't scare the everliving crap out of me to be attacked like that, just that having seen that show a time or two I would expect a croc to do a hell of a lot more damage.

The only thing I'd mind seeing on any one of those channels would be cruelty to animals-- torture, pointless slaughter, or hunting an endangered species. If a lionness wants to chase down and snack on a gazelle, hey, that's nature for you. If some potbellied moron wants to shoot a zebra, I wouldn't want to watch.

------------------
    There's nothing like the NET... clutchcity.net

16. ChenZhen

I've always wondered that same thing...like does he sleep in those clothes too or what?

------------------

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

You gotta love is enthusiasm and passion. makes you wonder why everyone can't have that mind set in the daily things that they do. Inspiring fellow isn't he?

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I must've missed that one. Are you sure you aren't confusing the Croc Hunter with that other Croc Hunter wannabe herpetologist? I can't remember his name, but it was something Irish... something O'something. He once saw a stiletto snake on the road, hopped out of his vehicle and went to pick it up. He used the usual technique of grabbing it behind the head, but forgot this thing has fangs that go sideways and got tagged.

Another impressive thing about Irwin is that he won't grab snakes behind their heads, but rather by their tails. He says he and his wife do this, so not to injure the animal. That is just freakin' incredible. I remember he once caught a 6 foot Mamba (very aggressive and deadly snake that makes rattlesnakes seem like earthworms) and that thing was starting to swing at him between his legs... lol.

------------------
    "what if my aunt had balls?" -- in one fell swoop, bbs member verse expresses his dislike of "what if" scenarios and shows he has far too much idle time on his hands.

19. Timing

Timing Member

Animal Planet rocks, especially Shark Gordon and the Big Cat Diaries!

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I love the fact that the Croc Hunter always wears the same clothes. Even when he goes diving off the reef he still has those khaki shorts and shirt. Hilarious!

------------------