1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is The Economist biased?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crums17, Sep 21, 2006.

1. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

I don't think so personally. I'm pretty middle of the road with politics, some views on one side, some on the other. Anyway, I got into an argument with my Dad about this. He feels The Economist is totallly biased, but he does appreciate that they always identify the other side of the story.

I think that he feels this way because they criticize some of the President's decisions. I read most of the popular news sources and I've always felt that The Economist was a refuge from all the BS.

I wanted to see what everyone else thinks. I've always felt a sense of peace, even when I'm in disagreement, when reading articles in The Economist. I feel like I have a chance to decide. I'd like to think I shouldn't have been reading MTV garbage like Newsweek or Time.

Anyway, do you think that The Economist is trying to influence your opinions?

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they have very strong opinions on proper economic policy, but they don't let it effect the quality of their reporting.

I therefore say that they are not biased.

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

i think it's virtually impossible for journalism not to be tainted with some bias, but compared to everything else out there, the economist is as fair as it gets. it manages to be rational and reasonable in the sea of rhetoric and demagoguery known as reporting. all you have to do is visit different news sites and see how differently, though subtly, they portray the same news story to see how untrustworthy most major news outlets are.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Every publication is attempting to influence your opinions. If for no other reason, they want to influence you to buy their publication. (or watch their TV station, etc.) Having said that, some publications are more conservative in "pushing forward," their views, and attempt to give you more facts, versus their opinion. I think the Economist is trying to give you a conservative viewpoint. I don't think they are trying to "sensationalize," the news, or the facts, as much as many other publications do.

They are an excellent, conservative magazine... one that this liberal takes pleasure in reading because it really is conservative, and presents the facts in a fair way. I enjoy reading opinions that differ from my own, especially if they are presented in a fair and thorough way. The Economist does. Your father may not have noticed that George Bush is not a conservative. Not in my opinion. He is nothing like Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, or even his own father, George H. W. Bush.

The President has grown government, had record budget and trade deficits, instigated foreign wars against countries that hadn't attacked the United States, or supported someone attacking the United States... he is a reactionary, an extremist. Your father may disagree, but I don't think the Economist does. I think they find him a nightmare as a conservative, or a conservative's nightmare, to put it another way.

I agree that publications like Time are little more than People Magazine, and a shell of what it once was.

Keep D&D Civil.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All magazines have their biases. The Economist is skewed towards pro-corporate libertarian values, imo. They're strong for free trade, a flat or value added tax, less subsidies, and less regulation. Yet they also take time to report selective regulation for governments that want to promote social policies (sin or emissions taxes, active or passive paternal governance).

I don't think they're anti-Bush. They've been harsh with both Congress and the admin, but they've commended the US on several economic aspects.

I do see a liberal or left leaning voice, but as a non-American publication, many sound advice or reporting would look liberal when commenting on Bush policy....

6. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

I agree withyou 100%. Part of what I was getting at was his argument that it was an inherently "liberal" publication. I also appreciate your views on what constitutes an actual conservative vs. a Bushie as well.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The economist endorsed Bush the first time, and was in favor of the Iraq war - it tepidly endorsed Kerry the second time. I'd say that's pretty balanced.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If your father is like some of the posters here, they only publication that would satisfy him would be Rush's newsletters. ;)

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I read it regularly and find it to be fairly balanced and nobody's ever accused me of being a radical leftie.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I just bought a subsription for my son. I am sort of worried that it is overly conservative ann supportive of the moderately conservative of the business status quo with the unjust international distribution of wealth and power.. Can't beat it for its international coverage.

Dubya's crudeness and lack of international sophistication was probably a turn off for the Economist. Supporiting the Iraq War was a minority and conservative position in Britain, I believe.

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Afraid he won't believe what you want him to? ;)

12. insane man

insane man Member

i think the economist is great. i think it is obviously pro business. its compassionate conservative interms of finances and straight up liberal in social policy.

13. adoo

adoo Member

that sums it up for me.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Of course they are biased, they are Europeans.
    Now, I dont mind biased material as long as there is rationale in it. And we also call biase a different perspective. Most of the economist's views do have reasoning backing it.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks. Seems like most everyone here thinks it's pretty good, regardless of political leanings. It would be hard to find more balance than that, or at least that much agreement on damned near anything here. ;)

Keep D&D Civil.

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been a subscriber since the early 80s, and the tone of the magazine has always been strongly libertarian, and obviously stronly pro-business. however, over the past few years, that tone has has been subtly infected by the same sort of elitism, and snide commentary about "stupid" americans, ie those redstaters who voted for bush, and perhaps go to churches other than the episcopal. yes, they endorsed bush in 2000, but just barely, and they've clearly never been fans. that's fine, i don't need them to support everything he does. my objection is to the not so subtle characterization of most of his supporters as rubes or dupes. again, not unlike the times, or most posters here.

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The truth stings.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you took a break from watching Larry the Cable guy for a second you'd realize that the economist has always been that way -- it's you that's changed.

19. basso

Supporting Member

perhaps that's why i stopped watching mcneil lehr.

20. basso

Supporting Member

it's not that i don't appreciate a good snark now and then- it's condescending i have an issue with. the economist's subscriber base is over 40% US btw, so while it may be a british publication, it's readership is heavily american, and they have a big office here in new york on 57th street.