1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Bob praises Clowney.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Raven

Raven Member

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

It's all about that smoke to raise interest in the trade market. And, if not, a defense first guy like myself will have a hard time being upset.

I'm currently 1) Teddy 2) Trade down 3) Clowney

4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Comes across as somewhat of a backhanded compliment.

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

McNair described Clowney as like I would Tracy McGrady, except McGrady didn't play college ball.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

According to Raven's countdown:

144 DAYS 2 HOURS 25 MINUTES

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

7. Raven

Raven Member

Maybe trying to tweak him a bit and see how he reacts.

8. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I wouldnt be mad at a clowney or Teddy pick just as long as its not johnny or brotles

1 person likes this.
  9. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Smokescreens would be used at lower draft positions to avoid teams jumping ahead of the Texans and getting the guy we like. Not much reason to use smokescreens when you have the first overall pick. The only possible reason would be to try to negotiate a lower compensation package for the pick, but after the 2011 CBA, the system is fairly structured into $ per draft slots. So I take this to mean that McNair genuinely likes Clowney. Works for me.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Clowney + Watt

11. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Im happy with:
    a. Clowney at no. 1
    b. Matthews at no. 1
    c. Trading down a few spots and drafting one of the many mediocre quaterback prospects that will go in round 1

Can the Texans just hire Morey to do some pro bono work with them?

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Technically they can't hire him if he does it pro bono.

13. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think McNair is throwing out smoke screens. I think he's letting other teams know if they want Clowney, they better start getting their trade packages together. And seeing how Mario wasn't a bust and he had a horrible defensive coordinator for a majority of his career and Clowney will have J.J. kicking him in da @$$ and Romeo coaching him up _ he could possibly end up being a great pick.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I'm liking the hints around the Texans staff that they aren't jumping up and down for any of the available QB's. I still think trading down is their first choice, but if they aren't able to get the return they want for it then it seems Clowney is the front runner.

This makes me happy. QB might be the most impactful single player, but outside of the great QB's it's elite front 7's that win Superbowls.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Clowney should be the pick. Use BO'B's superior QB development skills to coach up a 2nd round QB. You should not use the top pick in the draft to reach for a QB, which is what we'd be doing.

16. Raven

Raven Member

With Clowney having a low motor, I would think he'd be just as much of a reach.

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

How can you say we are reaching.. Noone knows how the hell this players will turn out in the pros.. Whos to say Bortles/Manziel or Teddy will not be a franshice QB..

How do you know that clownley will turn out to be a great player.. You dont know..
    Teams take risk, teams get lucky.. QB's like Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees were all QB's that teams didnt see as franchise QB's and past on them.. Guess what Teams later in that Round Picked them up and look at them now..

What would you have said if a Team would have drafted Rodgers or Big Ben at the NO # 1 Pick? there reaching? There not Top # 1 Pick? More and likely...

Noone knows who will be the Pick, its there job to Evaluate this draft, and whoever they pick we will have to be satisfied with, but in no way can someone say they are reaching, because noone will know if they reached or not until we see them play in the NFL...

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Well by your logic, if nobody knows, then we should draft Case McCoy.

sit down now

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lol</p>&mdash; Case McCoy (@CaseMcCoy6) <a href="https://twitter.com/CaseMcCoy6/statuses/418974515041820672">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  20. htown1984

htown1984 Member

dude you are bringing up a QB that is probably graded 5-6 RD Grade..
    In my statement im talking about QB's that have /had 1st Round Grades,...

How about you sit down SON...!!!