1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Progs, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Progs

Progs Member

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I don't think we "catch" the Marlins, and it depends on any deadline deals and the performance of their replacements. I think we pick between 2-5 between us, the Mets, the Cubs, and the ChiSox.

3. Progs

Progs Member

I think we end up with 2nd pick. If RODON price range can be 8 million so the Marlins being cheap might go for the hometown kid Touki who is basically the Andrew Wiggins of baseball. Plus Rodon at worst would come up to Majors barring injury JULY of 2015 season. If there is someone who will ask for over the slot is Rodon AND rightfully so. Marlins migt go for the HS talent and the Stros can make a run at playoffs in 2015.

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Good thing about this draft is there are a lot of options.

5. Progs

Progs Member

True at the very least there is possibly 2 pontential elite talents in Rodon and Touki. The 2014 will be a strong year for all 3 major sport drafts.

6. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Rodon and Tyler Beede of Vanderbilt seem like the top two college arms at this point, but there's a lot of time over the next year for someone else to come on strong.

Then of course there's Touki Toussaint as a HS arm and Trea Turner as a college position player.

I doubt we get the #1 pick, but even at #2 there's great talent to be had. The bigger downside is not having all the allocation money that we'd get at #1.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

N.C. State could make draft history in '14

The 2013 draft has come and gone, and now scouting directors and area scouts turn their full attention to the 2014 class. Obviously a lot can change over a full year, but the folks that I've had the chance to talk to have an optimistic view of the 2014 class.

"On paper, it's a much better crop (than 2013)," an NL scout said. "It's not the strongest group of advanced bats again, but there's so much more depth than there has been the past two years, particularly with the high school hitters and even more particularly up the middle. This year, other than J.P. Crawford, there isn't one high school shortstop I would have taken in the first round. Next year, there's about four or five that I'd consider. It's all speculation, but I feel much more confident about getting a quality player this year than the last two."

There are several intriguing storylines to follow until June, but here are three of the more compelling ones to follow over the draft year.

A chance for history

There have been several schools to produce multiple first-round picks in a year. We've even seen a school produce two of the top three selections in 2011, when Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer went first and third in 2011 coming out of UCLA. But in 2014, we may see something we've never -- and may never again -- seen before; the first two selections in a draft coming from the same school.

That's because North Carolina State left-handed pitcher Carlos Rodon and shortstop Trea Turner will start the summer on or near the top of most teams' boards. Both put up sensational numbers over 2013, with Rodon striking out 178 batters in 127 innings, and Turner putting up a .376/.460/.571 line with 27 stolen bases through Sunday.

"Obviously there's a long way to go, but they start the year on top of my board," an NL scouting director said. "Seeing what Turner did at shortstop this year, with true 80 [on the 20-80 scouting scale] speed and some offensive projection, that's obviously appealing. He's a true leadoff hitter, the type of guy who can steal you a bunch of bases and most importantly, he can get on base.

"And then of course Rodon, two 70-grade pitches from a southpaw with an advanced idea of how to miss bats and the size you look for in an ace. It wouldn't shock me one bit if they were the first two names off the board."

Rodon showed the world what all the fuss is about when he threw a complete game against North Carolina on Sunday in the College World Series. He struck out eight while allowing just five hits and two walks in an 8-1 Wolfpack win against their archrival.

Georgia is loaded. Again.

The Peach State has produced eight Day 1 picks over the last two drafts, and there's more on the way in 2014. Gainesville High School's Michael Gettys is one of the true two-way prospects in the class, with a low to mid 90's fastball and a curve that will flash plus, and he is also a very good athlete who recently ran a 6.4 60. Georgia also has hard throwers, like right-hander Dylan Cease (Milton H.S.) and left-hander Mac Marshall (Parkview H.S.), and one of the better power prospects in the draft in Kel Johnson, who is home-schooled. This is just the tip of the iceberg for the talent in the state this year, and we could easily see seven to ten players go in the first two rounds next June.

The "battle" for the picks

It looked like there were only two competitors for the top pick earlier in the year, with the Astros and Marlins holding commanding leads over the rest of baseball.

But the rest of baseball has -- for lack of a better term -- caught up. Miami and Houston are still in the first two spots, but the Mets, Brewers, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers and Angels are all within four games of the No. 2 pick. Several of those teams could be in sell mode come the trade deadline, and their moves could play a major role in the 2014 draft order.

In addition to the storylines, here's a few of the players who have put themselves onto the radar to follow over the summer and the 2014 season.

College pitchers

Tyler Beede, RHP | Vanderbilt
    Beede was selected No. 21 overall by the Blue Jays out of a Massachussetts prep school in 2011, but chose to go to college instead of signing. He will sit in the low 90s and also flash an above-average curve and change, but needs to improve his command if he's going to challenge Rodon to be the first pitcher off the board.

Michael Cederoth, RHP | San Diego State
    Cederoth can flat out bring it -- routinely clocked in the high 90's and has hit triple digits on several occasions -- but the secondary stuff is average at best.

Brandon Finnegan, LHP | TCU
    While he's not the biggest guy (5-foot-11, 195 pounds), Finnegan has great feel for pitching, as well as a mid-90s heater, a breaking ball and change that will both flash plus.

Sean Newcomb, LHP | Hartford
    He isn't on many radars yet, but 6-foot-5, 240-pound left-handers who have hit 97 on guns with a solid slider, like Newcomb has, don't stay off of them for long.

Aaron Nola, RHP | LSU
    Nola has dominated SEC hitters this season thanks to solid command and three above-average pitches.

College bats

Matt Chapman, 3B | Cal-State Fullerton
    Chapman can really play third base with a very strong arm, and there's some raw offensive ability as well.

Michael Conforto, LF | Oregon State
    Conforto doesn't stand out anywhere, but possesses above-average tools across the board and has performed very well over his career as a Beaver.

Derek Fisher, OF | Virginia
    He might have more power than any outfielder in the class, but will have to show more consistency than he has over the past two seasons.

Kyle Schwarber, C/1B | Indiana
    He's not a lock to stay behind the plate, but the bat should be able to play at first with above-average power and bat speed.

Mason Robbins, OF | Southern Miss
    Robbins has an advanced approach at the plate and projects to put up above-average offensive numbers from a corner outfield position.

Prep pitchers

Brady Aiken, LHP | Cathedral Catholic HS (San Diego)
    Aiken has projection in his 6-foot-5 frame, as well as an above-average curve and good feel for pitching.

Grant Holmes, RHP | Conway (S.C.) HS
    One of the more complete pitchers in the class, Holmes is consistently 92-95 with a plus curveball and an improving change.

Tyler Kolek, RHP | Shepherd (Tex.) HS
    One of the hardest throwers in the class, Kolek has been clocked in the high 90s and can throw his breaking ball for strikes as well. His brother Stephen is a top prospect for the 2015 class.

Justus Sheffield, LHP | Tullahoma (Tenn.) HS
    Sheffield doesn't have a ton of projection in his left arm, but the nephew of Gary Sheffield does have good athleticism, a low 90s fastball and plus change.

Touki Toussaint, RHP | Coral Springs (Fla.) HS
    A 70-grade fastball and a 70-grade curve from an athletic right-hander is what you get from Toussaint, and it's why he's considered by many to be the best prep hurler in the class.

Prep hitters

Sean Bouchard, 3B | Cathedral Catholic HS (San Diego)
    Bouchard is a bit of a tweener -- there's not enough arm strength for third nor the footwork for shortstop -- but it looks like he's going to hit wherever he ends up. With him and Aiken on the same high school squad, expect scouts to be spending a lot of time at Cathedral Catholic next spring.

Jacob Gatewood, SS | Clovis (Calif.) HS
    Gatewood has a ton of raw power from the right side, and the arm strength and athleticism to make shortstop a real possibility despite his size (6-foot-4, 190 pounds).

Nick Gordon, SS | Olympia HS (Orlando)
    Some may be tempted to have Gordon pitch -- he's the son of Tom, and he has a 91-93 fastball and a hammer of a breaking ball like his dad -- but he's too good of a hitter to not end up at shortstop.

Alex Jackson, C | Rancho Bernardo HS (San Diego)
    Jackson will likely be moved off the plate simply because his bat is too valuable. I've had many scouts tell me Jackson is the best player in the entire class.

Justin Smith, OF | Bartram Trail HS (St. Johns, Fla.)
    It's all very raw, but Smith has plus bat speed and can move well enough to be a quality center fielder at the next level if the tools begin to show up in games.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While a top 2 pick in 2014 looks likely at this point, I wouldnt rule out dropping to as low as #4 given the Mets and Cubs.

9. Progs

Progs Member

The only way Astros catch Marlins is if Altuve gets a major injury and if the Astros trade Bud sooner than later.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Only 2 games behind in the loss column and Marlins are getting healthier, while we've been fortunate up to this point.

11. Nook

Nook Member

There is also a very highly likelyhood that the Astros will try to move Norris, Corporan, Barnes, Bedard and Veras.

Unless our young guys get called up and surprise, we will be in the hunt for the worst record in baseball for a third year in a row.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Stanton catching on fire and Fernandez continuing his current performance wouldn't hurt either.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As of today, we are in a virtual tie with the Marlins. Add what Nook said about moving guys and our prospect for the #1 2014 draft pick look pretty good to me.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Whose the number one prospect this year. I heard rumors of a phenom up for grabs this year, but havent payed too much attention to the prospect watch.

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I assume Rodon is the guy you heard of. The great thing about next years draft is even if we end up at #2 we still have a chance to get a great player

16. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

To me the value of the #1 overall pick is not necessarily having the actual #1 pick (picks #2-10 should still be very nice prospects), but the real value is in the simple fact that you have the largest money pool to work with. And as Luhnow and company have shown, they can make the system work for them real well.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is important for talent as well. Just like this draft, which had a clear top 3 guys.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know some have soured some on Rodon, but he still fills the bill as someone who may get slot or close to slot at #1 overall.

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I agree, for example the Astros had 1 million more than the Cubs who picked 2nd in ever round. And if I remember correctly there's an increase in slot values every year, so that extra million or so is very very valuable.

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Correct, and as we are projected to be either 1 or 2, we should have plenty of talent to pick from if we were to get the #2 overall pick. However, we lose a lot of flexibility if we are the second worst team in the league. Thus, having the #1 pick, which comes with the biggest money pool is more important than 1 pick. There is a great inherent competitive advantage there.