1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Player vs. 2 for 1 Special

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Jun 9, 2013.

1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

With free agency beginning July 1, a mere 22 days away. We look at the key positions that need to be filled with our own thoughts and opinions. We are all fans and expect nothing but the best from this team from the front office to the towel boy. So this thread is not to bash a specific player(s) but to give a alternative to the idea of signing a max level player just because you have the money to spend on that player.

Texans Got it Right!!!

Remember a couple years ago (2011) when Nnamdi Asomugha was the top free agent and signed a lucrative (5yr /$60 million). Everybody called there favorite Houston radio sports show (790, 610 & 1560) to give there two cents on why the Texans should back the "Brinks" truck to Nnamdi house and pay him what he wants. GM Rick Smith decided to play the 2 for 1 special and landed both Johnathan Joseph (5yr /$48.75 million) & Danieal Manning (4yr /$20 million). I know max deals equate differently between the two sports, but 12 million for a football player is max money in my opinion. As other sports showed us that throwing money at free agents just to show that you can afford those free agents does not make up a team. In the words of Vince Young "Dream Team HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA". The Eagles threw millions and millions of dollars to these free agents and ended up with an 8-8 record that season.

Lakers FAILED!!!

As we switch back to the best professional sport known to man (NBA), we see that the same tactics are displayed like the NFL. The Lakers decided this past season the throw money out by acquiring free agents and trading for a lucrative contract. Signed Nash (3yr /$27 million), Traded for Howard (1yr /$19,536,360) adding them to Bryant, Gasol and Ron Artest big money cntracts. They ended the season with a record of 45-37 on the season and got swept by the SA Spurs.

2 for 1 Special: Best Option For Rockets

According to Hoopshype and Hoopsworld, The Rockets have upwards of $20 million in cap space this off season. So lets look at the best options for this team. The position of need is at PF and everyone knows this, also is at backup SG and backup SF since we are declining Garcia and Delfino team options. So I did some research on players and what they will probably command in free agency. Lets take a player like Al Jefferson, the most skilled big man out on the free agent market this off season. We can give him a deal worth (4yr /$50 million = $12.5 /yr) or (4yr /$52 million = 13 /yr). Now we are down o seven million in cap space if its 13 million per year for Jefferson. We need now to address backup SG and SF, call in Corey Brewer and give him MLE or something equal to that (4yr /$20 million = $5 million per year) which is also easy to trade in the future. So now we are at $17 million dollars spent in free agency with maybe $3 to $4 million left in cap space to spend. Omer Asik needs a reliable backup so you can bring someone like Robin Lopez to help out Asik (1yr / $3 million).

Lin / Beverley

Harden / Brewer

Parsons / Jones

Jefferson / Smith

Asik / Lopez

Trade Robinson and Motiejunas to Clippers for #25 pick - Tim Hardaway Jr.

#34 - Glen Rice Jr.

Conclusion

I hope i could convince some people on here that just because you have the money to go get that big fish you have been chasing does not mean that he is he right fit for your team. I hope the front office will make the right decisions that are best for this team!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Swag

Swag Member

no thx

3. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

In light of recent concerns about 'clogging the paint' re a potential Asik + Dwight front court, I struggle to think of a greater paint clogging duo than Asik + Jefferson.

Also in terms competitiveness in the NBA, giving Jefferson 12mil+ is essentially a death sentence to the title hopes for any team in the NBA. Nowadays competitiveness is increasingly oriented toward value contracts - the max worthy and rookie contract. Jefferson would be the anti-Chandler parsons.

4. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

last time I checked Jefferson can step out and hit the 15 footer!!!!

So would you rather pay 1 max player or 2 for 1???

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This is exactly the type of move that we should stay away from. We need another legit star to pair with Harden. If we can't get Dwight or CP3, better save that cap space for the next off-season free agency.

6. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

football and basketball are two different sports cause impact can mean much more w/ one max player, as opposed to two in basketball. I agree to disagree with you sir

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Don't McHale and Big Al have some issues?

Corey Brewer for $5m is too much. Would rather have Cisco back.

The target is land a big fish, and the biggest fish in the market is Howard. I think Morey has expressed this opinion many times. There is no need to land lots of good mid-level players to eat up your cap room, its superstars or bust.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Basketball is much more "quality over quantity" than football. 2 good players in basketball does not equal a great player, more often than not.

9. jae713

jae713 Member

One player in the NBA makes a much bigger difference then in football.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

You seem to not understand the differences of basketball and football.

1) Basketball - 1 player can win you a championship (if that player is Lebron James)

Football - 1 player can help you win, but can't do it alone. Aaron Rodgers is great, I don't think anyone thinks if you stick Rodgers on a god awful team he can lead them to 70%+ win percentage.

2) Basketball - Players have a MAX contract. Meaning Rookie Contracts & MAX contracts to players who are BETTER than a MAX contract, you are getting someone's services at BELOW their value.

Football - There is NOT A MAX contract. You can pay a player your entire salary cap space if you feel like it. Hard to get great value for a player unless you get a hometown discount, or the player wants to take a paycut.

3) Basketball - You NEED SUPERSTARS to win in the NBA. Between Refs, Value, Skill level and David Stern, it is a requirement to win championships.

Football - You need a good TEAM to win a title. Players don't play 2 ways, so your whole team has to be good. Score 50 points a game makes no difference if your D gives up 51.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

They're completely different sports. Basketball is one of those sports where an individual can have ULTIMATE control over the outcome of the game. Cavs-post Lebron

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You seem to think that 2 players can equal 1 superstar. Something like 5+5=10. The problem is, most people that get Max contracts aren't a 10, they are a 57 or something. 5+5<<<<<57 or something.

13. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

Having both Dwight and Harden means a lot more flexibility... vets will come play for the vet min. to try and win a ring and the duo will also draw in another superstar.

gotta look at the BIG picture.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sometimes starting at thread at 1:42 in the morning is not a good idea

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

That is a terrrrrible comparison. In basketball you need the best players to win. You are comating a sport which has 45 man rosters to one with 15.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

You have 999 posts, next post makes it 1000. Make it count.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Texans got it so right they got all the way to the AFC Championship! Oh wait...

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I see what you are saying OP. I am all for getting Howard, but Howard is not the only option that can make the team better. They really only need a legit back-up center with the current squad and/or back-up SG/SF without Delphino/Garcia.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually like the Robin Lopez idea.

20. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Lol you funny as hell