1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Aruba77, Mar 27, 2014.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

RT should be much higher on their list than a QB at this point.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/

4. Speaking of surprise players … The stunner this draft season is a quarterback who threw 83 passes as a Rutgers sophomore in 2010, then didn’t play college football in 2011 or 2012 as he transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. “The hottest guy in the draft,” Brandt of Tom Savage. How hot is he? Late last week Savage’s agent, Neil Schwartz, had to tell two teams who wanted to set up a visit or meeting with the quarterback that he didn’t have any time left to do so. “There are literally no days left on his calendar for him to go see any other teams,” Schwartz said Saturday. The deadline for teams to host players or work them out is April 27, and by then Savage is scheduled to have either worked out for or had visits with 24 or 25 teams. That’s an amazing number of workouts and/or meetings … and when I say meetings with teams, I mean time with either the GM, coach, offensive coordinator or two or three of those. Savage is popular because he’s got an above-average NFL arm right now—some are calling it the best in the draft—and showed well over the last half of last season with a bad offensive line at Pitt. He spent Friday with the Oakland staff, and that’s a place he’d fit in well. Amazing to think a player so itinerant and with so little college success could be leap-frogging A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger. But there’s a good chance Savage will. Todd McShay had Houston taking Savage with the 33rd overall pick. Now there’d be a way to kick off the second day of the draft in style, with a stunner like that.

[​IMG]

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sucks this guy has risen up draft boards so quickly. Was hoping he'd be a 3rd or 4th round guy. Now we'll have to take him at 33 if we want him.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Savage isn't going in the second round.

I like his arm strength but he is not very mobile in the pocket. He doesn't seem to have command of the offense and he looks like just another player in it. I was intrigued by Savage based on what I was reading but when I actually watched some film of him, I wasn't super impressed.

I think Brett Smith out of Wyoming is probably a better late round QB project than Savage.

5. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I've seen a couple of Pitt games. Savage was alright. He's at best a backup. He lost his starting job at Rutgers to this bro named Chas Dodd who led the team to a 4-8 record:

[​IMG]

6. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

He throws a beautiful ball

7. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If he is, then he must be high on his arm strength and maybe has seen something in his mechanics he can fix to improve his accuracy.
    Whichever way he goes, I am sure BOB will pick the QB that best fits the system he wants to bring in here.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Or O'Brien could just be high...

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

10. Remii

Remii Member

You mean the one with Bucky saying he would take Logan over Savage...

I agree (with Bucky)... Once upon a time Logan was thought of as a top quarterback prospect. If he hadn't fell off he would be the top rated quarterback and probably the majority of Texans fans would want him as the #1 pick.

But I heard Mel and Tod say that people (some) out of the Patriots organization call Savage, "Tom Number Two".

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Logan Thomas is probably the most physically gifted QB in the draft. But if you can't complete 60% of your passes (an ANY season) in college and you throw almost as many INTs as TDs then sorry, I'm not taking you. You're a major project and I don't want to waste a pick on you. Not when there are a lot of other needs. I might pick you up as an UDFA, but I'm not spending a pick on you.

Thomas didn't "fall off". He's never shown that he has anything more than physical gifts that ,while impressive, aren't enough to make you an NFL QB.

12. Remii

Remii Member

He did have a year where he threw for 59.8% and because he is a duel threat quarterback _ don't forget about his rushing TD's.

You probably wouldn't draft him but I bet one of these NFL teams will. And I would definitely want Logan over Savage.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way to go Aruba77!

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dude must be a super interviewer
    Will be be the next Brady? stay tuned

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

mmmmkay

Rocket River