1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The road to the 1st seat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Apr 18, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Jim Boylen aspires to reach the 1st seat, Head Coach, then -

why did he not accept the MSU assistant's job, offered by an old friend, well respected in the coaching ranks rather than stay with an old friend, well respected in the coaching ranks, who elevated Larry Smith to fill in for him during his Leave?

I am surprised, frankly. I would have thought it would have boosted Boylen's recognition factor and national profile.

What am I missing?

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

He was on Fox sports yesterday and he said he loves it here so he probably won't take the job.

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Assistant coach of a college team, pretty much any colege team, is not a high profile position. Moving from third banana in the pros to second bananna on a college team is a pretty lateral move in my opinion. Second banana for Dean Smith two years before her retires is different. but in this case, stay if you are happy, go if you are unhappy in your present situation.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This still says to me that he doesn't aspire to his own gig. He wasn't even elevated into 'interim' position. Isn't JB too young to give in to being a career assistant?