1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donny Walsh: Landry type of player we need (Carls Brother)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pete Chilcutt, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...s_to_earn_spot_on_new_york_knicks_roster.html

Cool read. He must be as hardworking as Carl

Marcus Landry paid his own way to New York just for a tryout. As if answering a want-ad in the newspaper, he arrived without a place to stay and without much of a shot of making the Knicks.

"I don't like to think of myself as a longshot," Landry says. "I'll let the coaches decide that."

Undrafted, undersized but mostly undeterred, Landry is becoming the feel-good story of training camp. The 6-foot-7 rookie out of Wisconsin is making a strong push for a roster spot, having survived the first round of cuts while impressing Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh with his work ethic and toughness.

"That's the kind of player we need," Walsh said.

It's been an eventful three weeks for Landry. The Knicks thought so little of him that they didn't provide a ride from the airport or pay for his $80-a-night hotel room. But after a solid training camp and in subsequent practices, let's just say Landry's accommodations have been upgraded.

"I just come out here every day, work hard and leave it up to Coach D'Antoni and Mr. Walsh to decide," Landry said. "We'll see what happens."

Landry's brother, Carl, is a forward with the Houston Rockets and the two brothers share the same traits. They are high-energy, defensive-minded players who give their respective teams much-needed toughness.

"My brother just told me to play hard," Landry said. "That's all he told me and that's what I've been doing."

The Knicks currently have 13 players with guaranteed contracts on the roster, including the retired Cuttino Mobley. D'Antoni is open to taking one more player - which means, barring a trade or signing, Landry is fighting guard Joe Crawford and forward Chris Hunter for the final spot.

Landry gives the Knicks versatility. He played mostly center and forward during his four-year college career and is now getting a look at shooting guard and small forward. The Knicks feel he can defend all five positions.

In many ways, he's a better fit than Jordan Hill, the team's lottery pick out of Arizona. Landry doesn't need the ball to make an impact and the Knicks like the idea of having a hungry player at the bottom of their roster. And Landry already has demonstrated that he'll do anything to get here and stay here.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Why isn't he trying his luck here? As according to the article, he just shows up and join the try out.

A 6-7 Center/Pf that is now trying out SG and SF position? Now that versatility.

But where is all this rumors about Landry as a defensive-minded player starts from? This is not the first article I have read that says that, and yet we all knows that Landry best defensive contribution is and odd block or two for every 2 games. He always have problem guarding his man, especially those tall PFs that have an extended high post game, think Dirk, Bosh, KG, Aldridge and even the likes of Boozer and West who are around his size.

3. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

What the **** Landry isn't undrafted.

4. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

Ah nevermind it's Landry's brother.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It's gotten to be downright humorous at this point. Pretty much every article I have read with a mention of Carl describes defense and toughness as two of his greatest attributes, including even the usually reliable John Hollinger making the same mistake. At first, I hypothesized last year that it stemmed from the belief that Carl and Chuck Hayes were the same person. Now I think it is actually the result of journalistic laziness in simply assuming that each part constituting a whole has the same qualities as the whole itself (ie: defense, toughness).

Carl is not a good defender - at all.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hustle = good defender to a lot of people I guess.

Not only is he mistaken for Hayes but I still hear "Carl Lowry" pretty often so I really think the media just thinks every Rocket is a lock down defender at this point.

7. itony

itony Member

That's pretty ridiculous to me. How is a guy who played the 4-5 spot going to try the 2-3 spot?

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It comes from people who have probably never seen the player at all, but simply read the stat sheet... and Landry does rack up the boards and blocks during his short time in the game, hence immediate consideration as a defensive player. Unfortunately, Landry isn't so good at things like help defense... :(

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

D'Antoni and Nellie doesn't care about position.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

geez carl couldnt throw his brother a little money so he wouldnt have to stay in a $80 hotel in NYC. thats messed up seriously.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

sarcasm?

12. Asian Sensation

$80, hotel and NYC don't go together.

13. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

LMAO blonde moment huh ;)

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

In all fairness, Irk Nowitski is listed as a 4, plays offense like a 2/3, and defense like a 0.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

His brother Carl should have lent him a few bucks so he could have stayed in a better hotel. 80 bucks a night for a hotel in NY is ridiculous.

16. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Agreed. Carl's biggest problem is that he is a poor defender, clearly worst than Scola, not to mention Hayes.

17. wireonfire

At least he is a pretty decent 3pt shooter in college.

18. wireonfire

In Manhattan Chinatown you can find hotel for $8 or $10 a night many years ago.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Forgot the Knicks actually train in Saratoga Springs which is a resort town 200 miles north of NYC. 80 bucks will get you a room at Super 8 up there.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe that was Carl's money paying the $80/night hotel room. If I was traveling on my brother's dime, I know I'd try be be as frugal as I could.