1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some people not liking SNL ISIS sketch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr. 13 in 33, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's in poor taste. Making fun of ISIS isn't the problem. It makes me think of these parents who have kids disappear on them because they are running off to join a war they're too dumb to avoid. The situation only makes me think about the sinfulness of mankind, which isn't especially funny. Or maybe it's a dark sort of gallows humor that doesn't really seem to fit with SNL's profile.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm really done trying to defend a goofy 30-second SNL spot at all, but this line really surprised me... Is there humor that could not, in some way, remind you of the sinfulness of mankind?

Puns, I guess, are sin free, but they exact their own toll of course. Or I guess we could share jokes about misunderstandings between the apostles.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Satire bro... Satire.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

SNL has been poking fun of current events for 40 years. That's kind of their bread and butter.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Much ado about nothing, wasn't terribly funny and definitely wasn't offensive.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not really having a problem with jokes about evil normally. But, teenaged American daughters somehow drawn by the allure of an organization famous for atrocities like beheadings and immolation -- an organization that would create a society in which these same teenaged girls would be locked away as second-class citizens. Maybe it's because I have daughters of my own, but I don't find it funny that some of our own citizens find that appealing.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Again it's satire. None of what shown in the video is actual representation of SNL political views and nature.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's totally absurd to think about. Which is the premise of the whole joke.

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

That skit was the bomb.

Wait...I'm sorry.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You think that's bad? How about we humanize that guy responsible for 9/11?

I love this sketch. Great interplay between Fallon and Sanz (who was underrated and underused IMHO). It's funny because it's so absurd.

<iframe width="640" height="360" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://screen.yahoo.com/saddam-osama-000000014.html?format=embed" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

and those people would be morans.

i thought it was pretty damn funny and anyone who is stupid enough to go off and join ISIS will get what they deserve.

death to america.:(:(:(

12. Buck Turgidson

Key and Peele did a hilarious bit recently about Al Qaeda, Chappelle did his on the KKK. We've made Nazis the butt of a million jokes and/or the centerpiece of brilliant comedy ("Springtime for Hitler" ring a bell?). I don't see what's so different or shocking about this.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Tragedy necessitates comedy

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Irony and absurdity necessitate comedy, but tragedy can contain those elements.