1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Houston Potential Destination for Cousins, but Unlikely...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

cousins for lin, cook , and white

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Salaries no where close matching, cousins makes only 4 mill cook only for cousins is enough

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Good plan but Harden wasn't a headcase and a locker room cancer while Cousins has shown all of that, despite his talent.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Only if he gets better. It's doubtful he gets a "guaranteed" top 10 type pick in a deal this year. If he does from OKC, they are likely the only one offering it. If such a trade happens there are a couple of outcomes:

1) Cousins toes the line but continues to be what he is
    2) Cousins continues to act like an ass and continues to be what he is
    3) Cousins continues to act like an ass, improves by virtue of being surrounded by better talent... but by virtue of acting like an ass doesn't help his new team

4) Cousins toes the line and improves

Only in scenario (4) does Cousins trade value go up. In the other 3 scenarios his trade value goes down... and OKC has lost an otherwise nice asset (the Toronto pick). Not to mention these aren't equally weighted scenarios. I find scenario 4 to be highly unlikely.

OKC has been built perfectly, with a solid locker room and great chemistry.

I'm crossing my fingers Presti is dumb enough to make the trade you suggest. It makes OKC worse, and it gives a high draft pick to Sacramento, which they'll surely screw up. Win-win for the Rockets.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

1. This is the Wizards we're talking about

2. The "Beal deal" was pre-draft. And draft picks always have more value BEFORE they are used than after. Now that Beal has set foot on an NBA court, his true value can be seen. If we offered Harden for Beal + right now, they'd jump at it.

3. The Wiz need to shake it up. Sure Wall is injured, but they're offering nothing right now, and it's worth trying anything for them. Big beats small everytime, and if that deal was actually possible for them, they'd probably go for it.

1 person likes this.
  6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

that's an outdated list. Salmons has been traded since, so that kicker is gone (it won't go up again).

7. Grigori

Grigori Member

Mannix of Sports Illustrated/CNN

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI
    Oft echoed sentiment: If Kings want give DMC away for junk, we'll take him. But right now no one is interested in giving up real assets.

Maybe Morey can scrounge up a Carl Landry or something and get it done.

8. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

If we can get cousins without giving up Lin, harden, parsons and Asik we are looking at a team with a bright, bright future. If cousins comes over and plays with his head straight he will be a monster in this system.

If a combination of smith Patterson or Morris with picks is all we pay Morey needs to pull the trigger. I think I remember him having 38 and 15 at the Toyota centre last year?

I'm not getting my hopes up though, kings won't let him go that cheap because he can be a monster in a few years..

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

2Pat and Mook have no hype, but maybe Morey can sell Petrie on Carl Landry, super-efficient future borderline All Star, er...I mean Greg Smith. To quote Morey, you have to give up something to get something.

10. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Yeah man any combination is a steal in my opinion. Cousins has a scary combination of speed and size and a decent jumpshot. Our fast paced attacking game would suit him too. Also having Mchale (a players coach) and a good locker room would help DMC a lot!

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

In your scenario 4, cousins will worth a lot more than a top 10 pick they are giving up now. I mean he could be worth 4 top 10 picks easily if he pans out. Despite all these nonsense, he's still only 22 and posts league leading PER numbers since last season.

It's only because all the drama Presti maybe able to steal him at rookie contract by just one top 10 pick in a so so draft class if he wants to.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Can Cousins be relied on to check Howard or Duncan 1-1 without much double-team help? If not then I doubt OKC will be moving Perkins for him, or any other trade that doesn't bring in someone who can do that. Presti brought Perkins in for a reason, because he knew LA had size. I don't see him letting him go now that they have Howard, Duncan has found the fountain of youth or the Grizz have Gasol.

Perkins will be needed to escape the West.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

No, but in fairness, the ability of Kendrick Perkins to do this himself has proven entirely fictional.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=perkike01&p2=howardw01

It's all there in black and white. By the time Dwight Howard had rounded into all-star form, Kendrick Perkins was routinely powerless to stop him.In fact in recent times, if Dwight Howard has one of his best offensive and rebounding nights during a given season, it's almost a guarantee that it was Kendrick Perkins (what we could only charitably call) "guarding" him.

OKC is probably itching to move Perkins at this point. He's not a good rebounder, not a good finisher, is a massively overrated post defender--he just isn't a good anything, really. The only positive thing that could be said about him is that he sets good picks. To call Cousins an upgrade over Perkins is probably not complementary to either player.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Good point, but Sacramento sees Beal too. Do you think they would do it? He is shooting 35% from the field and 26% from three and averages 1.6 turnovers in 30 minutes. Cousins is a proven talent and Beal averages 12 points on terrible shooting.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Patterson, Morris, and D-Mo for Cousins :D

They keep Brooks and we keep Lin. Les wants to keep Lin and No one wants White. If only we drafted Sullinger or Zeller instead.

16. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

It is no NBA 2k...

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK. As good as Greg Smith has looked, you could probably switch him out for Patterson and go with Smith, Morris and D-Mo.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I was joking bro, hence the smiley.

AND HAVE YOU TRIED TRADING FOR COUSINS IN 2k?

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Turn out to be a bust? He's already proven he can play and be a top 5 center. He just needs discipline and coaching.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Check the playoffs (not included in those games you linked). Look at the series vs LA and SA last year, and the series vs Orlando in 2010. Night and day difference with him on Howard/Bynum/Duncan when compared to others. Especially in OKC with Ibaka, who is not a great man defender.