1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Target Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Assuming the rockets pursue a no-tanking, acquire undervalued assets, acquire "potential stars".... who are the targets we should be watching?

Criteria:
    - two way players highly preferred
    - skillset indicates a minimum potential to be a starting caliber player for a playoff team
    - reasonably young

Targets - In no particular order...
    - Ricky Rubio
    - Demarcus Cousins (I'm guessing this is Morey's top target)
    - Evan Turner (recall Morey indicated that the Rockets offered to eat Brand's contract on a draft day trade. However, we may not have had Turner in mind, but rather perhaps Cousins)
    - Anthony Randolph
    - Godfather offer for Cleveland's first round pick centered around Brooks and Scola, that could be enough to put Cleveland into the Eastern Conf playoff picture next year.
    - Hasheem Thabeet
    - Chris Bosh (If politics weren't an issue, I think Miami would deal us Bosh for Scola/Brooks in a heartbeat.)
    - Monta Ellis (one dimensional, but I think he's a better potential "closer" than Kevin Martin)

Other notables: Mareese Speights (young and big enough to play C and develop into a starter); Jason Thompson. Neither is suficiently distinguishable from Jordan Hill to be characterized as a likely upgrade.

Add any you can think of.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Good thread.

Jeff Green
    OJ Mayo

Aaaaand that's pretty much it.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ummmm. Jason Thompson is better than Jordan Hill. Not even close.

But I agree with most of your targets, except for possibly Ellis. Don't think Morey is interested in him.

4. gah

gah Member

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Anderson Varejao, guy would be an ideal center in Adelman's system. The only thing that he doesn't do that we need is shot blocking and he had 4 last night vs Amar'e.

Last night vs Amar'e...

14 points, 17 boards, 4 blocks, 2 steals and 2 dimes

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

A decent strategy. But with a flaw. Luis Scola is BYC. Might be hard to move him. ;)

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ah, the old lack of extending strat strikes again !

DD

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting. I always considered him as a poor man's Scola

Rocket River

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Biggest difference between the two is Andy plays defense. Scola is the far superior offense player but Andy can "D" up most centers. He has started to block more shots with increased playing time this season, not a great shot blocker but enough to stop the layup drills we give up so often.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Poor man's Scola sounds exactly right. Doesn't have the same level of offense, and even less athletic, but is taller, plays smart and with non-stop hustle.

I think the truth is he's better than he was in Lebron's shadow, but not as good on a regular basis as he was against the Knicks, for example.

And he's got a pretty hefty salary. Not getting quite Scola money, but still $7-$8 million plus for another 3 years, I think.

He could be a nice add, but not on his own. Add Carmelo and Varejo to this team and it is certainly a perennial playoff team. But Melo ain't coming, and no one like Melo seems to be coming, so why add Varejo?

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's definitely a solid man to man and defensive rotation guy. Certainly a better defender than Scola. But doesn't yet strike me as a "protect the paint" defender.

Of course, not many of those out there...

13. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

PLEASE get Cousins. He will be incredible one day, especially if we can get Hakeem to show him how.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

About 2 (maybe 3) seasons ago, most everybody here was enamored with Shane Battier taking charges. IIRC, Battier had low 50's for the season. He was second to Varejao. Andy took 97 charges. :grin:

15. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Question-- Did not Mayo get knocked down to the bench because his defense was very weak?

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Cousins is not worth the gamble... I'd rather wait for the next draft and see which big men we can trade for in that one. It's not like Cousins is the next biggest thing. There's almost always someone as good as Cousins in EVERY draft.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

I believe it was because Xavier Henry plays way better team ball than him. The coach even said he's the next Battier or something along those lines...

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Simple trade involving Scola. Luis, Jared, Hill for Josh Smith and Pachulia. We take back Mo Evans with the trade exception to keep ATL out of lux tax.

With our trade exception and with Jared's expiring $6.8 mil deal, moving Scola can be accomplished.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Morey is like a broker, he buys low and sells high. So you really need to think "who has an unusually low value right now" ?
    Only 2 players with "star-talent" come to mind right now:

-Hasheem Thabeet
    -OJ Mayo

We know Morey wine'd&dinned Thabeet they year he came out, so I wouldn't be surprised if he made a move for him.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Btw, I would love for Morey to snatch J-Smoove from the Hawks some way. Because there is no way they are going to get to give him a big contract with Horford and Johnson already extended. Bad management, they will need to make a trade somehow.