1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New, Used Car Advice: What to get??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Jan 23, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Great cars for heavy winter regions with plenty of snow but rather average in a place like Houston. I would rather get a Optima than a Legacy in the South.

2. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! Completely brutal in the engine department. I don't think anyone will feel safe getting an Audi A4 before 2012.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

There are cars I would lease as new and there are cars I want to buy and keep for 10 years.

German cars are lease cars. Bmw, Audi etc. I would never buy an A4 to keep for a while.

Unfortunately the keeper cars are also boring...TLX, GS..

I was this close to buying the GS, but leased a 535i instead.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Couldn't agree more.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hi guys! Me again!!!

So more info.
    I've got about $1,200 bucks of positive equity in my Kia if buy it out of the lease and sell it to a CarMax. More if I sell privately but not sure I want to go through that hassle, though I would get more money for sure.

I'm just not sold on keeping the Kia, even though by the specs it's all there, great car, great power, etc. I'm just not sold on the front-wheel drive.

There's an 2008 IS350 I'm looking at with 80k miles for about $13.7k... but it needs about $500 of work.

I'm also looking at an 09 Inifiniti G37 with about 50k miles for $16k.

The Infiniti seems like the better deal, given the way lower miles, newer car, no work required.

I've driven both, the Infiniti is a freaking rocket, though the IS350 power great as well. The torque on the Infiniti is crazy...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! AHHH.

I have to make a decision within the week.

6. Asian Sensation

You do what you want! Get the G37... 30K mile is a big difference.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm assuming a lot of things but the previous owner drove less than 10k miles a year with the G37 and the owner of the Lexus drove more than 10k miles a year. Based just on the miles differences and the ratio to price difference. I'd go with the G37.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Japanese built Lexus usually are pretty reliable.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yo! Only fitting I continue to update this thread.

So when it is all said and done... I'm getting a bmw. Ha!
    I've come to grips with the reliability. I've been driving nothing but reliable cars for a decade plus.

The infiniti was really fast but still didn't feel as pleasurable to drive as the bmw.
    Worse I coukd t get past the interior. I was just about to buy when I took a final test drive and it just doesn't feel luxurious.

The Lexus felt plenty refined. But not amazing. If your a car enthusiast definitely check out the 2014 Lexus F Sport. Now the interior on that thing is amazing. And it's the most aggressive driving Lexus ever. if I was going new and spending a lot more if go that direction, though the front of it is hit or miss for me. But that just made the used interior feel refined but, well, old.

So I am getting a used 11 bmw 335i. It is an e9x series with the N55 engine. This engine has proven to be a bit more reliable than the true turbo N54 that was in the 3's up until 2011. This car is amazing to drive. And it oozes with luxury. To the point where some have even commented that it feels better than the newer model that came out , the F30 series.

And I found a great deal on one with 30k miles, so lightly driven. hopefully it's not a lemon!!! Carfax and inspections all check out.

Excited to have made a choice with my gut instead of my head ;)

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Congrats. Let me know if you would like to have your vehicle coded for free. I coded my own and it's easy peezy, macaroni and cheesy.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

on a related note..my wife decided to drive her new bmw into a pole in the parking garage. right front fender is completely damaged.

time to get her a used yaris.

12. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Welcome to the Beemer club! I'm actually looking to either get another 5 series or getting a E350. Car's getting up there in miles.

If you're in Houston, you can hit me up when it's off warranty. I've been to almost every one and can tell you which places to stay away from.

Anyway, congrats!

13. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that man!