1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adidas will not renew apparel deal with NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why do people have a preference as to which manufacturer leverages the NBA for marketing products to them? Other than potentially incrementally moving your brand loyalty, it doesn't matter who makes the clothes. If it mattered, the NBA would be paying for their uniforms, not getting paid to wear them.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Because America.

3. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Depends on the perspective. If it's the on-court product/apparel, fans probably don't care all too much, although fit of the jersey's could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (see move to Nike in NFL). However, it makes a rather large impact on the products (t-shirts, hats, jackets) provided to the fans. Comfort, fit, design, even cost, I'm sure, would all shift.

4. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

Wont this be just in time for the Rockets new uniforms?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

because each manufacturer has different design aesthetics and presumably this difference will be reflected in the product lines, Adidas has the "originals" line of throwback type stuff, UA has super tight muscle shirt type ****, Nike has the "Air" series/brands etc...

...not that it matters that much, and not that they're in any way exclusive but if you wear the sh-t you might like one or the other.

6. knucklehead3321

I hope its nike, I had like 50 swingman jerseys untill adidas took over. Havent bought a jersey since... nike is just more creative IMO UA and adidas stuff all look the same, especially their shoes. Nike had some cool swingmans from throwbacks to non game worn alternate colors.

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Based on the reasoning behind Adidas not wanting to pursue a deal with the nba, because nike dominates basketball; i dont see a reason why this would benefit nike. Their market share is going to go from 96% to 97%? or 98%?

I wouldnt think a 1 or 2% increase in market share would justify investing lucratively in a market they already dominate.

I see an opening for under armor.

Also Adidas Needs to sign Harden. The all new adidas beard airs. Comes with a detachable beard.

i'd buy them.

8. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Is it true that along with the new TV deal, jerseys will now have corporate sponsor logos on them?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nike is reportedly nearing a long-term apparel rights deal with the NBA <a href="http://t.co/pG6xYVAZ4m">http://t.co/pG6xYVAZ4m</a> <a href="http://t.co/u6chtuIjYG">pic.twitter.com/u6chtuIjYG</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/588789904139649024">April 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/04/16/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Nike-NBA.aspx

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Puma

Nike will snag it. UA is for high school football

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I hoping for Faded Glory. For once I'd like to be able to buy a jersey under $20.

12. hvic

hvic Member

^ still better than the rockets current jersey and logo

13. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Nike and NBA to announce new 8-year deal to become official uniform of NBA. Will start in 2017-18. Adidas is out.</p>&mdash; Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/608732852155465730">June 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Unlike Reebok &amp; adidas, Nike logo will appear on NBA uniforms when new uniform deal starts in 2017-18.</p>&mdash; Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/608733495767261185">June 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

14. Asian Sensation

Throwback Champion jerseys >>>>

15. Put You On Game

please hope the Rockets get new jerseys

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This. I'm down to just give Nike full control of a design..

Additionally, with the Nike logo appearing on the jersey, you can add another parallel to FIFA and soccer. I really think the NBA's end goal is to have a 'champions league' of the NBA.

-NBA trying to become more global, add teams to europe, more international (like soccer)
    -Ads on jerseys
    -jersey manufacturer logo on jersey

[​IMG]

17. Fantasma Negro

So Fila didn't put in a high enough bid

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Not going to happen, the talent wrt football players is much more globally dispersed than it is in basketball.

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Fila just didn't have a high enough bribe for the NBA officials. ;) Nike FIFA Scandal