1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 1st Round Pick: Terrence Ross or Fab Melo?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MarcusMorris20, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MarcusMorris20

Terrence Ross (Washington) is an incredibly athletic 6'6" SG who has all the potential and physical ability in the world...

However, the same could be said about Syracuse's 7'0" Center Fab Melo. He's incredibly raw but has crazy upside AND fills a position of need (dire need) for Houston.

We've got only the Knicks' pick to work with here, unless we qualify for the Lottery, and the Knicks may do some damage in the playoffs and leave us with the low 1st Round pick....what doesn't give us a shot to get either of the aforementioned guys....

My question is, would you rather have Ross or Melo?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol Melo out of Syracuse.....what a coincidence

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Neither. Jeffrey Taylor should be the pick.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cody Zeller, Bradley Beal.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Ross is more of a SF than a shooting guard. What i really like about him is his defensive ability and versitility. He can guard 2's and 3's. He's also an excellent rebounder, he fills up the stat-sheet (similar to Kidd-Gilchrest), and he's also a 45%FG/35%3PT shooter. To me, he's a lotto pick.

6. mario713

mario713 Rookie

this!!

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you're gonna toot Melo's horn, just remember that Thabeet had a MUCH better college career.

I fully believe the idea now that the hit rate of big men taken outside the top 5 is next to nil, while the hit rate of those taken IN the top 5 is still not great (Thabeet, Oden, Olowokandi, Kwame, book's still out on Favors and Kanter).

Who's the best big man taken outside the top 5 in the last decade? Amare at 9? Monroe at 7? I guess if you want a saving grace to big men taken late it's Roy Hibbert (17) and DeAndre Jordan (35). But that's over a background of, what? Guys we'd heard fans begging for Morey to draft over the past five years include Glen Davis, Josh McRoberts, Sean Williams, Nick Fazekas, Larry Sanders, Hassan Whiteside, Cole Aldrich, Daniel Orton, Jerome Jordan, Gani Lawal, Bismack Biyombo, Jeremy Tyler. Suffice it to say that, beyond our own foreign stash (Donuts), I've lost my faith in big men picked low in the draft.

8. AFS

AFS Member

Marc Gasol at 48? Andrew Bynum at 10? Marcin Gortat at 57? Kendrick Perkins at 27? Serge Ibaka at 24? Etc.

There's plenty of talent to be had in big men outside of the top5. It's just a matter of good scouting and drafting.

9. Aruba77

...Pekovic at 31; Hibbert at 17; DeAndre Jordan at 35; Al Jefferson at 15; etc.

It surprises me a great deal that Morey has never really been able to pull a quality center out of his bag of tricks on draft night with a mid-rounder or late pick. Seems like a lot of other teams have.

1 person likes this.
  10. thething

thething Contributing Member

You forget Mr. Bonehead Javale Mcgee at 18, Varejao at 31, Noah at 9, Lopez at 10, Asik at 36...

1 person likes this.
  11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Between the two... I guess Ross. But main targets should be Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb, MKG, and Bradley Beal.

I'm going with perimeter guys because I don't think Martin will be here much longer

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Right now, I'm hoping that pick gets sent off in a blockbuster trade. No need in drafting another non-star rotation guy, IMO.

If we assume we keep it and there's no major shake up at the deadline, I would say Ross is a good pick to replace Courtney Lee, who seems intent on walking. Should be a fair backup 2 or maybe swingman.

Fab Melo....I'm not sold on. Looks like a (NBA) so-so backup defensive C that shouldn't play more than 10 mpg.

Patrick Young seems too small and isn't killing people in a way that makes me think his height won't matter.

Evan Fournier is somewhat intriguing at the 3. But that position might belong to Morris soon.

Arnett Moultrie is definitely a 4/5 I would keep my eye on. He could develop into something very special.

With the Knicks on the move and our draft position slipping with it, I don't see us being in range to grab those guys. They are all likely to go in the lottery, and Gilchrist could possibly go top 5.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Let's be fair man, Thabeet had a much better college career than a lot of players! He was the number 2 pick for a reason! He just forgot how to play after he was drafted I guess!

Thabeet is the opposite of Jeremy Lin! lol

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ya I know, I guess im holding on to hope that we will send Martin or something for another pick, then use all our picks to move up.

15. Aruba77

I too hope Morey sees the wisdom in doubling down on this draft. I think there's a lot of talent through pick 14 (depending on who declares). Every year i foolishly hope Morey will move up, but I'm always disappointed. I sincerely hope he finds a way to get it done this year.

16. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Tony Wroten!!!!!

17. SK34

SK34 Member

Rivers is over rated. Too cocky for a freshmen. I understand the hype because of his dad but there are much better players out there.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ive been following Rivers sense his sophomore year man, he's the real deal

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

He was overhyped but is now living up to the hype. He shows up when it counts.

20. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

Fab Melo is nothing special. He averages less than 8 points and 6 rebs in college. In the NBA that translate to 4 pts & 3 rebs.....worse than Chuck Hayes production!