1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank You Dallas Mavericks!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 2, 2003.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What a difference a major ass whippen makes! Are we just getting teased or did the Rockets finally get it in their heads that this team plays better when the ball is moved around.

Where has all of the pointless dribbling been the last two games? What has happened to waiting until we were well into the shot clock before we tried to move the ball around?

30 assists against Minnesota and 24 against Sacramento! Great ball movement with shots being distributed through out the line-up. Letting a big part of the offense start in the low post and then finding the cutter or moving it back outside is great.

Steve Francis turning the ball over so much is still frustrating but the great ball movement more than offsets that. As long as he continues to get 8 assists and gets the team into the offense early in the shot clock then I will happily live with the turnovers.

Can we all agree that the Rookie Wall has been smashed to the ground? This is the 3rd straight game where Yao Ming has had strong shooting and rebounding nights. He is averaging better than 20 points and 10 rebounds in the last three games and his passing has been just as strong. He has been exceptional with the Rockets offense running through him and it looks like the rest of the team is starting to understand the importance of spacing and anticipating the pass from Yao Ming when they cut to the basket.

Perhaps the complete ass whippen the Mavs put on the Rockets opened their eyes that the way they were playing just is not going to work. Perhaps the last two games will open their eyes to how beautiful basketball can be when you play as a team. This is basketball Euphoria!

Thank You Dallas Mavericks!

2. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

They say that to acheive the highest peaks, you have to travel through the lowest valleys. Two straight home embarassments, all the fan scrutiny, and public criticisms about their play finally got to them. Let's hope the lesson sticks this time.

3. Timing

Timing Member

My optimistic side says maybe that ass whipping and whatever tirade RudyT must have gone on finally turned the light on. My pessimistic side says that the TWolves were exhausted and the Kings were without two of their best players but even though that might explain the easy wins for us it sure doesn't account for the way we've played in terms of passing/team basketball.

4. timm

timm Member

Amen Crash.

I was most impressed with the 88 FGA today with the 50% shooting. Thats a direct result of good D, and playing well before the shot clock runs out.

As fans lets keep out hopes high but feet on ground. Game on Tuesday is a huge statement game.

5. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Don't forget a big thanks to ESPN SportsCenter!

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Let's not get too full of ourselves ...

That's what happened last time we beat the Lakers.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

How many Rockets does it take to screw in a light bulb? I don't know cause it's too god damn bright in here to see anything.

8. crash5179

No one is claiming championship for this season or that this team is finally where we need to be. All we are saying is that the style in which we won the games was the main reason for the excitement.

Unlike the LAL game where Steve and Cuttino were unconscious and just could not miss a shot, we played a team game where everyone was getting shots off of good ball movement.

Maybe it will last and maybe it will not but I have no choice but to acknowledge the way the Rockets have played the last two games and not just the outcome.

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Crash,

you're changing sides quicker the Hugh Grant in a Gay bar ;)

Smeg

PS isn't it amazing how little activity there is in here after a win

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you mean because the board crashed and was down 20-30 minutes after the win because of the intense traffic, or because there's been "only" 8 threads in this forum with posts in it in the last 6 minutes?

Dumb comment.

It always cracks me up to see those who were satisfied with the way the team played before. It's like they see no difference between the Dallas game and the Sacramento game. It's just "go go Rockets!"

Well thought out post, crash. No doubt the Dallas game had a huge effect. Being exposed as stupid and selfish on ESPN was probably the exact medicine these guards needed. These are two completely different teams we're seeing in action. Lets just hope they keep it up.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

damn

that wasn't what i meant at all, wasn't trying to offend clutch, my apologies.

why is it a dumb comment

recently it seems there are more threads when we lose than when we win, thats all, people seem to find easier to criticise than compliment, the old talk-back radio mentality.

12. crash5179

I guess it's just the nature of being a dye hard Rockets fan. Up when they win and down when they loose.

I have to say this though, even if they loose I will not be too disappointed as long as they continue to play team ball the way they have played the last two games.

I hope this is the type of play you get when you see them on your visit.
    :)

13. crash5179

Thanks Clutch. I hope the Rockets enjoyed the way they have played the last two games as much as I have enjoyed watching them and I hope they are learning just how good they can be with out the selfish play.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry Smeg .... I jumped at the comment because it implies cc.net posters have nothing to say after a win. I don't think that's the case. It's a lock that when the Rockets beat a very good team the server will crash as a result of the traffic. Losing almost never causes this problem.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

That's because when the Rockets play selfish one-on-one ball, most of the time we lose.

...and then there's much to talk about. :p

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Am I the only one who likes the Dallas loss??

count them...5 out of the last 6 halves the Rockets are crushing major teams with the best team ball of the year. We've had great motion games before that, for sure. Server crashing or not, whining prevails even after wins. That's a well known fact. Just like it does on talk radio.

The Dallas game is looking like a turning point based on us crushing a great team one second and being humiliated the next. A great 1st half followed by humiliation is making the Dallas game a positive, and Minnesota and Sac back to back humiliations on our part is looking us look very strong and humble. And, imo, that is not a sunshine ass comment...that is standard Original Copywritten Clutch City philosophy that proved Choke City 100% wrong.

Go Rudy
    Go Rockets
    Clutch City (C)!!!
    (===)

17. crash5179

If the second half of the Dallas game is what has caused the recent turnaround then the Dallas game just went from my least favorite to my favorite game this season!

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, that's not what I meant. I meant that our best half of the 2003 year was humiliated in the 2nd half by the best winning team in the league. That loss is proving to be a positive, like no other, in getting us to know what the coachs' system can do (in the Dallas 1st half), and the players learning how to remain humble to maintain that focus for 2 halves.

5 out of 6 halves. imo, this is our best run of the year.

We are (or were) an inconsistent team. It takes being smacked upside the head to gain focus, sometimes, and it is not surprising to me that the game that apparently did that was one where we smack a contender first, then got knocked to the canvas later.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is like saying whether it's red or blue doesn't matter, because it's red. I thought I just made myself perfectly clear: Numbers don't lie.

20. crash5179

Yeah I follow you. The Mavericks game was definitely a tale of two different teams.

The first was one that came out and moved the ball followed the game plan and out played the best team in the league.

The second was the one that came out in the second half with out any intensity and did not follow the game plan and got blown out of the water.

So the Rockets had to ask themselves which team do you like the most and are you willing play both halves with focus and intensity.