1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SF Chron] Rockets' coach: Yao critics out of bounds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/30/SPGG7FGDI61.DTL&feed=rss.sports

Rockets' coach: Yao critics out of bounds
    Janny Hu

Sunday, October 30, 2005

The new-look Rockets are working power forward Stromile Swift and point guard Rafer Alston into the mix, but it's the buzz surrounding center Yao Ming -- their longest-tenured player -- that's driving coach Jeff Van Gundy crazy.

Van Gundy can't understand all the criticism his 7-foot-6 center is commanding this summer, especially with respect to his supposed lack of conditioning.

"Oh, he has stamina issues? Uh, yeah ... he's 7-6, you know?" Van Gundy said during an 10-minute rant Wednesday. "He's trying to do something that no person has tried to do before at that size, which is be a big-minute player.

"And I think he's made exceptional improvements because he's got an unbelievable work ethic and a passion to get better. And yet, everyone wants to still, as they say, hate on him, for some reason. And I just don't get it."

2. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Now thats an example of a coach standing up for his player. Way to go JVG.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That's why most the players who played for grumpy loves him.

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

No no no! This has to be a misquote. ;) According to some people, JVG is only negative about our team and players. :rolleyes: A quote like this is way too out of character for Van Grumpy.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

ho hum, another day, another example of JVG standing up for Yao. yawn

6. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Point being?

7. hotballa

you missed it.

[​IMG]

8. tnopham

tnopham Member

i think we all know by now jvg sticks up for his players. remember the knicks heat brawl?

9. hotballa

ding ding ding...we have a winner. Please send your post to DaDa. He is currently missing the point of my earlier post

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Here's JVG in a nutshell: You play hard and show great work ethic (regardless of talent, i.e. Bowen) and he will be your best friend and biggest fan; you miss around and show no real commitment to the team (i.e. Mo T) and you're gonna get the hook.

Love him or hate him, but he does things the right way, and the only thing he respects is heart and determination and commitment. His current/former players swear by him, that's good enough for me.

Love the sarcasm on this one :D