1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it Rigged?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theimpossibles1, Jan 5, 2015.

?

Do you think the NBA is rigged?

1. Yes

260 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No

103 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. theimpossibles1

Is the NBA rigged? If yes, how so?

2. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Well, it is a business.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The two most common counter-arguments against the NBA being rigged are:
    1. It's a fast sport

Yes, the NBA is the pinnacle league in the world. The efforts and skills the players have are something that average people can't match. I will give you that.

Along the same lines, it stands to reason that there are humans out there capable of watching each play and determining what occurred without making egregious mistakes repeatedly (see the Corey Brewer out-of-bounds pass tonight). NBA refs, it seems, are not capable of this. Out of 7 billion people out there, there are better candidates waiting to be found. The league is not transparent at all in how it holds refs accountable (if it does) and if it has ever made any attempt to improve the talent pool.

Ever watch the NFL, NHL? There is a TON going on in a short amount of time. I don't buy that excuse.

2. The refs don't seem to favor larger market teams

I don't think the NBA favors certain markets.

I do think they overly (and obviously) favor the hometeam in too many games, I think they intentionally ref certain players differently (see: Yao Ming, Dwight Howard), I think they are too easily fooled/duped by repeat offenders and people who work the system (Pau "Ostrich Roar" Gasol, Chris "Fall at a moment's notice" Paul, Kevin "Rip-Through" Durant, James "Head-whip" Harden, Dwyane "Freight Train" Wade, Manu "Argentine Tornado" Ginobili - the list is very long) and any attempt to enforce "flopping" fines is a sham, and finally I believe they try to extend playoff series by favoring the underdog teams at key moments. Each playoff game is more revenue for the league in more ways than one (tickets, TV, exposure, merch).

#3 napalm06, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. Pirytic

Pirytic Member

Only against the rockets.

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

The NBA is not rigged in the sense that the WWE is scripted, but the results are easily and occasionally swayed. Just watch some of the games when they're near the Vegas lines and you'll see why. There's a reason why some refs have certain stereotypes about them; e.g. refs notorious for having favorites covering the spread or the total going over.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Show us some data.

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

No NBA game beats the Kings vs Lakers 2002 Game 6 of the playoffs

8. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Of course it's rigged. I'm not sure how far up it goes but the refs manipulate the games without a doubt. The league has been around almost 70 years and Tim Donaghy is the ONLY "rogue" ref? I call BS

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't think it's rigged, but refs certainly due have biases and favor certain players/teams. There may be a few rogue refs out there, but the rewards of the league actually trying to 'rig' games so far outweighs the risks. Yeah, they might make some more money if LA wins some more games, but if it were to be leaked that the NBA is fixing games (highly likely that it would) the NBA could be disintegrated, instantly.

10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

^ messed up my wording. The RISKS outweigh the rewards. Wish I had edit

11. VBG

VBG Member

no. this is just sad and pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  12. VBG

VBG Member

guess the nba is trying to rig things against the Cavs and for the Sixers too

13. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I don't know if it's a conspiracy from the top or not. But I will say for this season, any crew led by Tony Brothers or Ed Malloy has been suspect to say the least.

14. redglare92

redglare92 Member

I feel that it is rigged insofar that refs have their favorites and the league may subtly favor certain players and teams. The organizations and individuals that are emblematic of the league get the benefit of the doubt that others probably wouldn't. It plays out in some of the tougher judgment calls in a tight game like tonight - although 27/30 against 3/5 free throws is absurdly lopsided.

I'm not sure what fans can do to other than let their disapproval be heard at games and urge their franchise owners to push their interests forward. It's all politics, man.

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Of the ref statistics? I can show data but if you didn't believe it before, then you wouldn't believe it now lol.

I don't believe every ref or every game is swayed, but in some cases, when the possibility is there, who do you think has the most power to do so? Does the Rockets-Mavs 2005 series not ring any bells? Or the Lakers-Kings Game 6 in 2002? When Donaghy came out initially, did you think he was lying or the only ref to do so?

Donaghy scandal didn't hurt the NBA it seems. We all love the game and sports too much. Lol

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think there is a reason to rig it and if it were rigged we'd see a lot of big markets having more success in the playoffs. Portland would not have beat us last year if it was rigged, we had more star power and in a bigger market and had a story line to go with it (Two Texas teams tussling again...)

I do think that refs bet on games.

Why?

Because one ref was already found guilty of it and the NBA's response to this was "One Rogue ref...don't worry."

With that said, I don't think tonight game was a result of rigging or gambling. I think the Refs were just stupid and poor quality. Falling for flops and showing inconsistencies.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

That's what I meant by a rogue ref here and there. I meant if it were to be found that the NBA and commissioner were fixing games. Basketball would be forever changed, NBA could die as a result, or badly suffer. Possible a new league could pop up in its place.

18. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Haha hey Silver is for gambling - maybe he's trying to cover up his tracks :grin:

But yeah, I agree. It is way too hard to fix games, much less a series.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i know most people around here hate the Jazz, but the way they and the lakers were reffed in the last bunch of regular season games in 2012-13 was the thing that convinced me that the nba is rigged

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It already happened

No one cared