1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Astros looking forward

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets Pride, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Getting back on track of Astros looking forward, Houston very well could field a 55 fWAR roster for the next few years. They will be in the mix with the Cubs and Dodgers. My current prediction for the 40 man on opening day 2017:

RF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Gurriel
    LF Rasmus
    1B Reed
    C Gattis
    CF Marisnick
    Bench: Marwin, Castro, Kemp

Rotation:
    Keuchel
    Archer*
    McCullers
    McHugh
    Musgrove

Bullpen: Devenski, Feliz, Sipp, Will Smith*, Hoyt, Giles, Gregerson, Harris

AAA: Stassi, Fontana, White, Aplin, Teoscar, Rodgers, Paulino, Hauschild, Frias, Grills, Emanuel, Guduan, Jankowski, West, Gustave

I'm thinking Archer for Martes, Moran, K Tucker, Abreu, and Fiers, and Will Smith for Singleton, Fields, Duffy, Peacock, and P Tucker

2. tested911

tested911 Member

I don't see how we do not try and retain Fister. The dude has been rock solid this year and looks like he is back to himself.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Nah. You offer him the QO and let him walk.

4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Foster looked good today

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't think he gets a good multi-year contract in FA, particularly if he gets the QO.

This year doesn't move the needle for him significantly with regard to the future. He's got the ability to be a solid mid-rotation starter but I don't think that gets paid in FA given his age and stuff.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

But it's also about supply/demand, and I keep hearing how this year's FA class is garbage. If so, it's still possible he gets paid better than the QO. (Also depends how he finishes the year given his age and peripherals. Must continue to produce.)

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Really good interview/article with Lance McCullers and his progress after injury. The kid has nasty stuff and with his health progressing is gonna be even better. Great for the home stretch

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The '27 Yankees are the best statistical team in baseball history, with 66.3 fWAR; what would it take for the 2017 Astros to best that? Glad you asked, and aside from some astoundingly good luck, it isn't as farfetched as it seems.

Re-sign Castro and Rasmus.
    Sign Aroldis Chapman and Jose Bautista in free agency.

So here's the roster, with expected WAR, 2017 salary (in millions of $), and rationale for my WAR projections:

C Castro 2.0, $10M, he has been worth an average of 2 WAr over his career
    1B Reed 2.5, $0.5, would need a breakout, but as the top 1B prospect in the game, he could be a young Helton
    2B Altuve 5.0, $4.7, based on trajectory
    SS Correa 7, $0.5, if he really is a young a-Rod, 7 WAR isn't out of the question
    3B Gurriel 3.5, $14, comp is Hanley Ramirez from a few years ago
    RF Springer 4.5, $5, expected continued improvement
    CF Bregman 4.0, $0.5, Pedroia with more power and more defensive value
    LF Rasmus 2.0, $10M, about what he's done the last few years
    DH Bautista 5.0, $18M, a return to form
    UT Marwin 1.5, $4M, repeat of 2015
    C Gattis 2.0, $4M, repeat of 2014
    UT Kemp 0.5, $0.5M, could be a number of guys
    OF Marisnick 2.0, $0.5M, repeat of 2015

SP Keuchel 3.5, $10M, about what he's done recently
    SP McCullers 5.0, $0.5, expecting a breakout
    SP McHugh 3.5, $5M, about what he's done recently
    SP Musgrove 2.5, $0.5, would need a breakout rookie year
    SP Fiers 1.5, $3M, about what he's done over his career
    RP Feliz 1, $0.5M, repeat of 2016
    RP Devenski 1.5, $0.5M, repeat of 2016
    RP Sipp 0.5, $6M, could be any number of guys
    RP Harris 1, $5M, what he's done recently
    RP Gregerson 1, $6.3M, what he's done recently
    RP Giles 1.5, $0.5M, what he's done over his career
    RP Chapman 2.5, $15M, what he's done over his career

That totals 66.5 WAR (greatest of all time) with a $125.5M payroll (a big jump but still middle of the pack in the league). And that's without making any trades.

9. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Next years lineup will be.....

Springer RF
    Bregman LF
    Altuve 2B
    Correa SS
    Gurriel 3B
    Marwin 1B
    Gattis C
    Reed DH
    Jake CF

Keuchel
    McCullers
    Musgrove
    Mccugh
    ????

We will let Colby and Gomez walk.
    Val will want big money and somebody will pay him.

Bring back Fister???

10. HstnSprtsFan101

I'd like to think we'd upgrade at 1B/DH and bring in Trumbo or Encarnacion

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Or A.J. Reed becomes the superstar he's been at every level so far. Bregman, Reed, White, Kemp, Tucker, Musgrove, Hoyt, Devo, Feliz are getting nice auditions for the Astros free agent plans

12. HstnSprtsFan101

I'm hoping he will. As solid as Marwin has been for us, I'd still hope he's not our 1B & 6 hole hitter going into next year.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think we've got a decent plan for the outfield going forward.

Derek Fisher (just promoted to Fresno)
    Teoscar Hernandez (hitting .316 at Fresno)
    Bregman (could be moved to LF or CF)
    Kyle Tucker (drafted 5th overall)
    Tony Kemp (hitting .289 in the majors this year)
    Daz Cameron (drafted in the 2015 supplemental 1st)
    Ronnie Dawson (taken in the 2016 2nd round)

Obviously all of these guys aren't going to be ready, or even close to ready, but I'd hate to commit a big contract to an OF that will block our prospects from playing time.

Don't see the need for a DH. I'd rather DH-by-committee with White, Reed, Gurriel, etc.

The "need" is at catcher, where Castro is a free agent and Gattis is a backup at best. If we're going to spend money, it should be here. Luckily, there is someone on the market worth the investment.....Wilson Ramos.

RF Springer
    LF Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    3B Gurriel
    C Ramos
    1B Reed
    DH White
    CF Marisnick

Utility: Kemp, Marwin, Gattis, Hernandez

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The "need" is to find at least two highly-competent Major League bats. I don't care where they play (with literally 2B being the only exception; yes, i would move Correa if a SS was available). You can not sustain success with a line-up made up of five boom-or-bust players who, when busting (and their cycles seem to be aligned; I hope they don't attract bears), can't do even rudimentary offensive things. (Well, they're offensive, all right, but....)

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We've got 3 guys that look to be great locks for above average / young position players in Correa altuve and springer . We should be able to piece together a pretty decent staff especially is keuchel and mchugh can produce closer to the last two years . We appear to have great pitching depth which is always great given that injuries do happen .

Our holes are still gonna be there . We either have to bank on our young guys improving and being more consistent ( including gurriel ) or we have to fill them with trades / free agency .

The bones and assets are there for us to be at the top of the division . Just like this year . We can't have a skid as bad as we did at the beginning of the season and expect to win the division though . We should be in contention for the division or the wildcard for the foreseeable future , but pitching is always in a flux . If kuechel can't regain form or if McCullers turns out to be consistently injured then we will have to hope that our pitching depth translates to the majors .

We are in as good of a position as any team ( barring maybe the Cubs or another team or two I'm forgetting ) we probably have the most future value coupled with present value but that future is always a risk to pan out .

I'm high on our future as well as we all should be given the price we paid for it and the advantages we had in accumulating talent .

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I'm going to dream a bit and say we go after encarnacion and Desmond

Springer -rf
    Desmond -cf
    Tuve- 2b
    Encarnacion - 1b
    Correa- ss
    Yuli- DH
    Louie V- 3b
    Bregman -lf
    Gattis- c

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

If you told me none of those players made a significant contribution in '17-'18, I wouldn't be surprised. I 100% agree with Hey Now that getting two more ML-caliber bats into the lineup should be the goal. With the exception Bregman, the Astros could package all of the rest of those prospects for two 3-3.5 WAR players and the team instantly becomes a legitimate contender.

The Astros are basically a lesser White Sox. They're running out there a stars and scrubs line-up. The top 4 of the lineup is as good as any in the league.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I think Teoscar could be have Marwin Gonzalez type production off the bench and K Tucker could have above average #s

19. HstnSprtsFan101

This would basically be my ideal lineup. Signing Desmond & Edwin would be great even if we weren't able to resign Valbuena. The people who are suggesting we go with the all unproven or all prospects lineup and expect us to compete for a World Series haven't been watching this whole year. We're gonna need to add two good major league bats at least & it's time to for us to open up the check book.

AJ Reed has been terrible, Bregman has already passed him up in BA after that horrendous start. Maybe AJ will figure it out soon or maybe he ends up like Singleton. Can't just count on all these guys living up to their ceiling.

1 person likes this.
  20. Airdough

Airdough Member

Fielder is retiring, that will help the Rangers free up some cash.