1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I still dont get...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTOWNTAKEOVER, Jun 23, 2016.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

There's a difference between tanking an entire season (or more - Philly) and getting to the last few games of year, realizing you have no realistic shot and playing the youngsters and giving them some experience - at detriment to your final record... add to it a 1st round pick in the balance - and it should be a no-brainer...

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Les doesn't have much foresight.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

That's the struggle though right? There are also a lot of fans who WANT to see us make the playoffs, who don't understand the pick situation and complexities of the nba, nor do they care.

They want a team that makes the playoffs; they want to watch those games, even if we're the underdog. People also buy lottery tickets even though it is generally irrational, but I mean, what do you do?

And that's before you throw the owner into the mix. He wants to WIN. And guess what, so does Morey, because it helps him keep his job. Missing the playoffs, even strategically, is TERRIBLE PR for your team and the GM. You guys forget that for Morey, this is still his JOB. He'd like to not get fired, and making the playoffs will make your boss happier than if the team becomes a laughingstock (or even more so as a team that missed the playoffs).

We all saw how the tanking strategy worked for the 76ers and Hinkie...

4. kjayp

it's an asset, man.... to combo with other assets and either move up to get a player with real promise or to get a player (ie Lamb combo for Harden)... at MINIMUM, it could have been used to ship off Brewer's contract and open up more cap space for free agents and retaining DMo...

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lamb didn't get us shet, Lowry got us Harden, lamb was just random filler.

We've gotten tons and tons of mid first rounders after we lost Yao, they ended being basically nothing.

either you tank for top picks or you don't, I'm surprised people are whining about that given that 5 years ago people here were so damn tired of getting 14th pick over and over again they wanted Morey to take the Philly route.

I'm tired of hearing about assets, mid first rounders aren't assets, they are lotto tickets and have very little chance of becoming much in the grand theme of things. The Rockets team is a mess, with zero direction for the future, adding a another Marcus Morris is negligible imo.

I'm not saying I don't want a pick, having one is better than nothing, but given how much people have cried and cried over this you would have thought this was a top 3 pick in a loaded draft. We didn't give up Kyrie Irving, we gave up a Jeremy Lamb

6. chandlerbang21

Yet better than any pg rockets had the last couple of years

7. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

if lamb wasnt in the harden trade i guarantee they wouldnt have done the deal.

8. mockster

mockster Member

You play to win that's why.

Also i see no point in getting a lower 1st round draft pick because all of ours have turned out great >.>

9. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

you still arent getting it.

We could have used that lottery pick as a trade piece to get a player to help the team. We definitely could have used a George Hill or Jeff Teague right now. Thats what the Jazz 12th pick got.

10. kjayp

considering we traded KMart and not Lowry to get Harden... unless you're counting the lottery protected 1st we got for Lowry that also went into the trade... which being lottery protected... would presumably be another mid first rd pick... ;)