1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was it worth it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 27, 2016.

?

Was it worth losing our pick to watch the Warriors just rip our team?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. No

185 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

"Anything can happen!" - Alien ringers sucking the basketball talent away from basketball greats and joining our team was more likely to happen.

"We need to showcase our team to attract free agents!" - Because free agents want to join our train wreck that has a bunch of question marks.

"The 12th pick won't help our team!" - It's better than nothing, which is exactly what happened in the playoffs.

"Our team needed to be spanked!" - They've been constantly spanked all season. There aren't enough corners to turn.

50% of you all wanted the playoffs when we clinched a spot. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=273901
    68% didn't want the playoffs when we lost an important game against Dallas. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=273737
    75% now think it wasn't worth it.

25% of our fans are flip-flopping, delusional homers.

1 person likes this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Very much worth it. There is nothing like being embarrassed repeatedly on a nation wide scale to make sure there are the right kind of changes done this summer. Not just in the organization but also the players themselves will look in the mirror and come back hungrier (those who come back at all).

Plus, James Harden reeeeaaaally needed it more than anyone else in this team for a variety of reasons.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From top to bottom this team somehow thought it was good. Harden believed it, all these guys did. Morey thought they would make some noise.

What happened was perfect, even without Curry this team got destroyed. Just destroyed.

There are no illusions anymore - and yes, they were there before.

Now change will really happen. If we just missed the playoffs it would have been we just need to make a few changes and we will be fine next year.

No, now there is no doubt. This team needs to be completely overhauled and re-designed. It is beyond a few free agent signings. There is no doubt that this group is very very very far away from contention.

I'm glad we made the playoffs. It's nice to watch an amazing team completely show you how the game is meant to be played in every way - on the court and in the locker room. The contrast could not be any more stark. Now we can actually work on solving problems instead of trying to patch holes.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL, that's really a perfect way to frame it. :grin:

We just need Sweet_Lou to take over as GM for some other NBA team, then we'd be set.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

What new problems did this series highlight that we didn't know of already?

We know we have terrible 3-point shooters.
    We know we have a terrible coach.
    We know we have a terrible offensive scheme.
    We know we have terrible defense.
    We know we have terrible chemistry.

What did these 5 games tell us that the other 82 did not?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No I predicted we'd get crushed in 4-5 games.

Perhaps, but I don't think it would make all that much difference. If anything this team needs massive overhaul, and the 12th pick may have netted us what - someone like Brewer? We need better players.

The reality is you build a team through various means and develop them according to their talents that fits into your system. Our system was predicated on 3 point shooting, and yet we acquired guys who were not known as great 3 point threats. It made no sense. The whole plan was insane. When your GM is giving the kind of contract to Corey Brewer - who makes no sense for the kind of system you have built - you have a big problem. And it needs to get exposed on a national stage for all to see.

Guess you haven't read what I post much.

We did gain something. The end to Morey-ball. This is going to severely limit his power in some form or fashion. One of two things will happen. He will not be able to acquire another player who can't shoot the basketball, or he will be out completely. If you see that as nothing, than you do not share my frustration.

Maybe, who knows - but considering how we have been using picks lately - in desperation mode to fill holes with guys who are questionable fits next to Harden...I mean what was the logic in acquiring a mediocre 3-point shooting pg who had underperformed the year before and had alcohol problems for that such valuable 12th pick???

How did that fit into a system where you need 3 & D guys? Another playmaker - sure...but why such a gamble? Oh - because it was only a 12th pick. If that pick was SOOOOO valuable then why wasn't the decision made to hold onto it last summer instead of panicking and being desperate for a playmaker?

Keep Prigs then. You aren't going to make this team better with desperation moves. Morey has been rolling the dice way too much of high risk players.

He got burned with Royce White. He got burned with Lawson. You want these players - bring them in for nothing then like you did with Beasley. Stop burning these SOOO VALUABLE picks on these high risk players then.

We didn't lose that pick because we made the playoffs, we lost it when we traded for Lawson.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You and I know, but I guarantee you the brass and owner would not agree to all of those things.

When your GM says you could make some noise if you sneak into the playoffs, clearly they are in lala land

I don't think anyone thought we'd get blown out by the Warriors without Curry for basically the series. There were illusions.

9. alethios

alethios Member

You act like we had a choice. Just like the disappointment that is this season, we can't pull a plum out of this **** pie.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

It was worth it in the sense that it stuck some good money in Les' pocket for those two home playoff games and saved him from having to sign someone to a first-round rookie contract this year.

The way I see it is that while a #14 pick would have been nice, that player would be unlikely to have much impact on the team next year. Let's sign a major free agent or two and see what happens.
    <BR>

11. Handles

Handles Member

I have mixed feelings about our playoff beatdown. On one hand, we missed out on a lottery pick which could have been used to dump salary (most likely the best use of that pick as I have little trust in Maury drafting at that spot).

On the other hand, this team has embarrassed me as a fan this season, so part of me isn't upset at all that they got further embarrassed this post season. Hopefully it's a signal for major overhaul.

Then again, I don't know how we even go about fixing such a mess. I don't think it can happen in one offseason (unless a miracle falls in our lap, i.e., Durant). It seems like we're aboard a sinking ship with only a small roll of duct tape to cover the many holes.

I still have faith in Maury as GM, but I have major doubts about the playstyle we've developed. What scares me is the thought that Maury seems to embrace the volatility of the system. In finance, volatile companies are risky, but they have potential to provide higher ROI. I think Maury views our team this same way.

Our WCF year was an outlier, as was this pitiful season. Our true identity probably lies somewhere in the middle. I think if we keep our current system, we're going to have to get used to these kinds of outlier seasons and hold hope that the stars will align during one of our high performing years and we go all the way. Basketball is just a Monte Carlo simulation to Maury.