1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes , full water pan, full bag of Kingsford, and around 30-40 percent vents.

#1061 rockbox, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Their turkey every Thanksgiving is delicious though.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We had a smoked turkey this year. Best turkey I've ever had.

I'd really love to get into smoking/BBQ like this, but I don't know if I always have the time. A smoker is at the end of my Christmas list, but I doubt I'll get one.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You should do it. Nothing better than setting up the grill at a low temp, placing the meat of your choice on and then going to do whatever errands you have to do on a saturday or sunday, then coming back to a perfectly smoked piece of meat.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It actually kind of saves time in other ways, though -- you'll typically have a week's worth of meat that you can use for breakfasts/lunches/dinners. (ie I eat brisket tacos a LOT for breakfast at home)

The time smoking for me is really just me watching football games all day, but instead of sitting on the couch I'm monitoring the smoker and meat, also.

6. Buck Turgidson

Yep. One of my cousins has mastered the smoked turkey, it was amusing to debone the leftovers yesterday and see just how much more of the smoked turkey was gone than my grandmother's traditional one.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We made the mistake of going to Pappas BBQ after our trip to Austin which included a stop in Lockhart and Black's BBQ. Best g.d. beef ribs "north, south, east, aaaaaaand west of the Pecos."

Edit: I'm gonna follow up on some of these local BBQ mentions. My wife and I are getting the DT's...must....have...good BBQ.

#1067 ROXTXIA, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. The Boz

The Boz Member

I have not read all 54 pages. Any mention of Spring Creek Barbeque? We tried Last week. Not bad. Brisket was good. Will need to try again to see if consistent.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If you're thinking Spring Creek is good you should probably do yourself a favor and read all 54 pages. I bet there are 54 better suggestions.:p

10. The Boz

The Boz Member

I will read up. My bbq experiences is limited. As a kid in the 80's we always went to Luthers. I know that was bought out by Pappas. Been to Pappas a few times but was not good. Also been to No Name BBQ in Pasadena and it was good.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Spring Creek is poor but light years better than Pappas, that's for sure.

I used to go to Luther's in the 80's/90's as well with my dad. I loved going there!

12. Buck Turgidson

Texas Monthly recently put out a "Top 25 New and Improved BBQ Joints in Texas", covering places that opened since they put out their Top 50 list a few years ago.

4 in the Houston area made the cut: Killen's, Pappa Charlie's, Roegels, and Southern Q

5 in Austin: Freedmen's, Kerlin, Micklethwait, Terry Black's and Valentina's

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Freedmen's, it's my go to joint.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is definitely on my to-do list for my next house that I'll hopefully be building next year. And the smoker I'm thinking about getting is the one that was mentioned a few posts back (the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker). I've probably eaten at a ton of bbq joints across Texas, Oklahoma, etc, ... now it's time to bring the BBQ to me instead of going to the BBQ. :)

I've eaten at a few of these in the DFW area. They're all "ok" at best. If you like all you can eat rolls being brought around to your table, it's a great place. lol. If you like a ton of sauce on your BBQ, their sauces were alright from what I recall, but it's been several years since I ate at one. If you're in Houston, try one of the ones mentioned in the thread.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

16. Buck Turgidson

Still haven't made it there, I'll give it a shot next time I'm in town and people want BBQ. Valentina's was pretty damn tasty the one time I went.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I can confirm that the one off 290 in Cypress is terrible. Others are hopefully much better.

18. 713

713 Member

I'm taking my mom to Kilen in Pearland this Wednesday for her bday.

What time should I get there and what should I order?

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

9am

Brisket, beef rib, Mac n cheese

20. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Anyone in the DFW area been to Meat U Anywhere in Grapevine? I haven't given it a try but it's killing it on Yelp.