1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Health] Omega 3 Fish Oil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Boz, Nov 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. The Boz

The Boz Member

How do you get your omega 3? Do you eat fish or take supplements? What brand and strength?

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Flaxseed oil

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why?

5. Buck Turgidson

Salmon. Red meat.

If you do take the supplements (and there are currently a bunch of studies calling into question whether those are even any good), make sure you are taking a proper brand, there's lots of shady **** made in Asia.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Its the best source of omega 3's.

Flaxseed
    Fish/seafoods
    Chia seeds

Are the 3 best

Also, make sure to watch and limit your omega 6's, vegetable oils are the highest source of these. You want your ratio to be at least a 4:1 6 to 3 ratio, anything closer is even better.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Krill Oil

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That's a big ass pic.

Cod liver oil.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

What are these pills helpful for again? All of that are mentioned in this thread.

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I still have nightmares of my momma making me take this in liquid form. I would rather share a needle with charlie sheen.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

i remember reading something about it's not as absorbed as the fish oil stuff. something about how the body converts epa ala blah blah.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Would it matter that the EPA/DHA content of those other non-fish sources are usually much less? About once a month HEB has a coupon for 5$ off 10$ HEB brand vitamins, and their triple strength fish oil gives almost a full gram of epa/dha per pill. If I run out of that, there's a triple strength two pack from Walmart that gives 900mg of epa/dha per serving.

No 2 pills per serving, no 3000mg of fish oil but only 150mg of epa/dha bs.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

They're good for your cardiovascular health and have shown to be able to even help unclog your arteries that may have plaque build up from eating too many saturated fats. Daily use has been shown to lower the risk of cardiac arrest.

That's the big one. I don't think it's necessarily a correct analogy but I kind of look at it like giving the walls of my arteries a dab of WD-40 to make sure blood flow is smooth and almost effortless.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Well, ive had trouble breathing lately so maybe i need these. I am 27.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Sardines, salmon, nuts and most of all every day extra virgin olive oil that is home produced. I don't believe in supplements. A healthy and balanced diet> pills.
    Supplements won't help you at all. You should go see a doctor if you have symptoms-they are not from a mineral deficiency that can be curred by a pill. Trouble breathing can be a symptom from a myriad of causes.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It certainly won't hurt unless you're allergic. Do you exercise? I know it's easy to be initially motivated to exercise and kill yourself working out in one day. Then you're sore the following day and feel like utter **** and need a few days to recuperate. Then you dread the next workout because the last time you worked out hurt so much when that's not how it should be.

Start off with low impact to moderate exercises like walking and finding a good lifting routine. Aim for a half hour everyday until your body communicates to you it can work harder. Be patient and gradually up the intensity. In less than a month you may find your cardiovascular health improving and your body capable of performing more feats that were a struggle before.

I like to walk/jog/run and need to for depression. The chemicals from a runners high are uplifting and once my body is adjusted to it, my body is thankful to do work. If it's been awhile though and I'm not in optimal shape to run, I walk a mile or two until my feet start to feel like blisters are starting to form. Then I take a break so my feet can recover and instead get in a lifting routine the following day. Day 3 I walk another mile or two and find my feet are used to it. Day 4-7 I walk 3-4 miles. Day 8, I start mixing in light jogging with my walks and occasionally do sprints until my body tells me to stop and walk. I wait until my lungs and heart feel fine again and do more sprints until my body tells me to stop. I push myself but never so much that I dread working out the following day.

Likewise for a lifting routine. You find 5 or 6 good (and stick with them) weight training exercises and aim to incrementally increase either your number of reps or a slight increase in weight every workout. You should always be doing better than your last workout even if it's just a little bit.

Eventually you'll hit a plateau in running or lifting. That's when you want to push yourself hard in order to break a plateau. By then your body should be used to lifting and running so muscle recovery should be faster and you should no longer be dreading your workouts.

It takes about a month for your brain and body to be accustomed to a new habit. If you got a bad habit right now be it smoking, eating too much or just sitting on the couch too often, replace it with a good one and be patient with yourself. If you're out of shape, it took time for you to get to that point. It's going to take time for you to get back in the type of shape you want to be.

EDIT: As malakas said, breathing problems could be from any number of causes. I jumped to conclusions and assumed it might be from being out of shape. See a doc, find out what's wrong and get some peace of mind.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I always get the fish oil pills with extra mercury.

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

My parents gave me Omega 3 supplements from age 12. I was able to increase my vertical by 3 inches by age 18. Thus I'm a firm believer in the product.

20. The Boz

The Boz Member

My doctor recommends Dr. Tobias Optimum Omega 3 Fish Oil Triple Strength.

2,000 mg Fish Oil with 1,400 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids (600 mg DHA, 800 mg EPA) per serving (2 caps). Get 3-4 times more of the important Omega-3s compared to many other brands.

Anyone ever heard of this?