1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com Rookie Of The Year Poll- Melo way ahead of Lebron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HoustonRocket87, Apr 13, 2004.

1. HoustonRocket87

Anthony- 63%
    Lebron- 29%
    31+ thousand votes casted.

2. dn1282

dn1282 Member

too bad these aren't the votes that count...the real voters won't have that much love or objectivity to vote for anthony.

3. HoustonRocket87

i think melo should win it.
    melo- 21.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 2.8 apg, 42 fg%, 77.7 ft%, 32.1 3pt%, all in 36.7 mpg.

lebron- 21.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.9 apg, 41% fg, 75.4 ft%, 29.4 3pt%, in 40 minutes per game.

melo scores me and rebounds more than lebron, in 4 less minutes per game. he shoots a higher percentage from the field, the line, and from behind the arc, plus his team's in the playoffs.

4. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I see them giving co-ROY awards this year. Throughout the season, I told myself if Denver didn't make it to the playoffs, Lebron would get ROY but if Denver did make it, they would share it.

With everyone all in awe with Lebron, I think the NBA is going to get a lot of heat if Melo wins it by himself.

wakkoman

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If it was good enough for Amare, it should be good enough for Melo.

Melos team is in the playoffs, just like Amare last year.

Melo should get it based upon the playoffs.

DD

6. yaozhuxi

yaozhuxi Contributing Member

same, yao got similiar numbers (17.5/9.0 in 33mins) with Amare(20.3/9.0 in 36.6 mins), but rox in playoff, Yao should be sophomore of year.

7. teknokid

teknokid Member

First of all, NBA is going to be FUN to watch for next 10 years and more to go. I cant just wait to see Melo and Bron growing up together being compared. I love the fact that both players got the heart and killer instinct.
    Melo. I havent seen a rookie who takes in charge of the most important game of the year, against Blazers recently, and saved the team all alone during crunch time. Rookie! I havent seen a rookie taking the last shot of the game, the go to guy during crunch time, and the leader of the floor, since Tim Duncan. In my opinion, Nuggets is going to be Melo's team for years to come. He won in highschool. He won in college. He knows the tatste of victory, and that is going to make him an extra-ordinary player. so i go for Melo

8. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I'm amazed the Melo love on this site. I think I might actually respect some of you. ;)

I still think that Melo would be THRILLED to get Co-ROY. I don't see it happening, but that's ok. We'll let LeBron have ROY. Melo will be Finals MVP. :p

9. teknokid

teknokid Member

Im a longhorn. I have much respect for this guy.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Their stats are remarkable close. But my vote is for Melo based on the Denver turnaround (they didn't even just make the playoffs in the East, they did it in the West) being more drammatic than Cleveland's. Both teams had some other positive things happen for them--Boozer's improvment, Z health, and McInnis for Clev; Dre Miller signing, Camby producing and increments in Nene's game--but no doubt both guys are their teams best players and were the catalyst for team improvment. So it boils down to Denver's improvement in the tougher conference being significantly more impressive than Cleveland's, nod to Melo.

But this is based not on hype or highlights or commercials but rather on logic, reason and consistency--so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

shouldn't be too surprising

vs Rockets
    CA: 4 games, 23.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 44% fg, 47% 3-pt, 40 mpg
    LJ: 2 games, 14.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.0 apg, 32% fg, 33% 3-pt, 37.5 mpg

12. Holy Cow

Holy Cow Member

Nuggets4,

Don't be surprised! :) Melo turned a franchise that "sucked a lot" into a playoff team, in the WEST, no less. LeBron is great but look at his team ...

In the future, I don't know ... but based on this year alone, Melo has my vote, no doubt!

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Outlaw, lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think this is how the voting works. They have their 100 or so chosen voters and they each submit their picks. The rookie with the most votes get the ROY and, if 2 rookies happen to get the same number of votes, then we have a co-ROY. So that even if Anthony and James are in a dead-heat in everyone's minds, even 1 vote difference will negate the possibility of a co-ROY. Just from the mechanics of the system, if I understand it right, make sharing the award unlikely, even when it is deserved.

14. adai

adai Member

Each voter can vote for three candidates, the first choice counts 5;
    the seconde counts 3; and third choice counts 1.

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I would have given it to Lebron 3/4 of the way through the season but Carmelo has really impressed me with with some very critical games down the stretch. Denver was in and out of the playoffs but the whole time primarily carmelo played a very big part in keeping them in the hunt.

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I also think Melo should win the award..

They have similar stats but their records are not even close with Melo playing in the tougher WC and taking his team to the playoffs.

So if Amare won last year because he took his team to the playoffs (even though he wasnt the focus of the that team or opponents defenses) than the said rules should apply this year dont you think?

Melo for ROY!

J